This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic 360 or Traffic X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic 360 or Traffic X
    Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:49am
KK

I am returning to flight simming after several years away. I have FSX Acceleration with Traffic X. I see that there is a new product out now called Traffic 360. However, looking at the poor reviews on Amazon and the proplems written about in here would you recommend I stick with Traffic X until the 360 service pack is eventually released? Or should I take the plunge?

I'll be playing it on my new laptop with the following specs:

Intel® CoreTMi7 Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-3940XM (3.00GHz) 8MB
32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (4 x 8GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/SP1

Would appreciate your advice please.

Thank you.

Myrm
Myrm
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:19am
Hmmm. That is a hard question to answer.

I do not have Traffic 360. I chose to stick with Traffic X. But, that was because I had done extensive editing of flight plans with Traffic X and had done a lot of additional work with the product such as adding in new paint jobs and airlines etc. I would have lost this work (literally hundreds of hours of work) and had to start over from scratch again if I had chosen to go with Traffic 360 ... so I made the decision to stick with Traffic X.

What should YOU do? As I said, that is a hard question to answer. If you don't currently have any other AI programs, then Traffic 360 may be the one for you. Remember that the Service Pack *IS* coming (due now) for Traffic 360. So a lot of the issues you have read about may be resolved.

Traffic X works fine, but Just Flight are no longer working on it or shipping it. So you'd have to search out a copy of it from somewhere other than Just Flight, if your decision was to go with Traffic X.

For now, regarding Traffic X over Traffic 360 (or vice versa) it may just be a case of waiting for the Traffic 360 Service Pack and then making a more informed decision based on the reviews and comments that result from that.

That said, Traffic X does have it's bugs and issues (many not fixed) ... and it would appear that Traffic 360 has its share of bugs and issues too. So you may not want to forget to consider and research the question of other AI programs that are on the market.
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:28am
What I want to know is why exactly should I 'upgrade' to Traffic 360?
At the moment, I fail to see any advantage.
johnep
Myrm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:30am
Hi Freddy

Thank you for your reply. I just checked out the MyTraffic website and I have been offered the latest version (MyTraffic Pro 5.4) for £16 because I had the previous version of it, so I may go to that instead.

Another thing that puts me off about JF is that looking at the forum there seem to be complaints of JF not answering support posts on there, That rings alarm bells with me right away. I note that the service park was announced back in Jan - 5 months ago!! If a SP is needed to rectify real proplems in a new product then it should have been out away before this. JF seemed to have gone down hill since I was last here a few years ago. :(
Myrm
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:39am
Hehe, I wasn't going to provide the example of Just Flight's support (or lack of) ... but it appears that you've noticed that yourself. To be fair, Just Flight did provide great support for Traffic X when it first came out and they were fairly regular contributors in the forums, and responding to support emails sent to their support team. But that did soon die off. They have been almost non-existent in the Traffic 360 forum. And, whilst I am sure they ARE working hard on the Traffic 360 Service Pack etc, the lack of responses AND the time it is taking certainly do make one wonder. I know they are a small company and cannot be expected to sit on forums every day posting replies and responding to every question ... that's fine ... but considering there's barely any posts at all, extremely rare, then yes, that would ring alarm bells.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

What I want to know is why exactly should I 'upgrade' to Traffic 360? At the moment, I fail to see any advantage.

Agreed. When Traffic 360 was first announced, I decided to hold off. I could see ZERO ADVANTAGE to upgrading. If that was proved to be wrong, then I was going to be happy to part with my funds. But, as time went on, from what I could see (and still currently see), based on reading and supposition, Traffic 360 seems to me to just be Traffic X, with a few additional repaints and flight plan adjustments. It's not an all new, super-duper upgrade at all. Add to that the fact that I would lose all of my hundreds of hours of Traffic X work if I go with Traffic 360, and I personally see no point in going with Traffic 360 at all.
Myrm View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:48am
Hi Freddy.

Think I'll go with MyTraffic upgrade then.

This is an example to JF that a company loses sales if customers are not satisfied, and word-of-mouth works.

Thank you. :)
Myrm
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 1:29pm
Yep, that's fair enough then.
keeprighton1974 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeprighton1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 1:07pm
I wonder if it's worth asking MyTraffic if they will do people a discount if they product a Traffic 360 receipt??
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 3:00pm
Freddy, - I am with you on this. I have put too many hours into tailoring Traffic X to my requirements that, as far as I can tell from the whole of this Forum, there is little in the 360 upgrade that would encourage me to change over. Whenever I venture into some of the stranger parts of the world to put a few hours in I always find some odd Traffic X anomalies that I have to sort out so it is still an on-going thing. The idea of starting all over again is daunting.

Ray
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 5:23pm
Hi Ray
I don't think you would lose all your adjustments, anything you did in Traffic X with AFCADS or Flight plans could be saved and popped into Traffic 360, JF have included the military plus packs and other plus packs in T360 otherwise much the same, most probs are now ironed out in 360. So should be released soon
Mike
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:03am
Hmmm, Mike, I am not so certain. Sure, it is possible to save the Traffic X flight plan files for an airline (or all the airlines), but problems would arise if the aircraft identifiers in those files do not match those used in Traffic 360. Other problems would arise if you have not updated your Traffic X with the Traffic X PlusPaks, meaning that with Traffic X you don't have all of the aircraft in your flight plans that Traffic 360 includes. Not to mention special individual flight plans in Traffic X that you might have set up for individual planes that you have downloaded and added in to Traffic X. Etc etc etc. There are many other examples I can think of.

I, for one, do not have the PlusPaks in my Traffic X. If I was to purchase Traffic 360, but use my own backed up Traffic X flight plans, then I would end up with lots of unused Traffic 360 aircraft (those aircraft that are in Traffic 360, but which are not in my Traffic X flight plans). So, right there, lots of work would be required by me to redo and adjust existing schedules to accommodate those new planes. And that would be just the beginning. (In fact, I didn't buy the Traffic X PlusPaks for Traffic X purely because doing that would have created lots of additional TRAFFIC X work for me; in the same way that buying Traffic 360 would do the same.) Not to mention the possibility that the Traffic X aircraft identifiers in my flight plans are most likely not the same as the Traffic 360 identifiers ... and, yes, there's all my repaints, downloaded planes, individual "one-off" flight plans for special government planes, medi-vac planes, coast guard planes, etc.
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:11am
Yes Freddy - you just beat me to it with your response.
Flight plans use the info contained in the aircraft.cfg files for each aircraft - specifically e.g. "title=JFAI_TX_B7373_BA" - note this contains "TX" - I imagine that 360 files use a different nomenclature.
So it would be a case of a lot of editing or we could copy the TX aircraft into the new 360 files so that they can be recognised but that would mean we would not be utilising the new aircraft.
Ranger - if only things were so simple!

Ray
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 1:58pm
It is true that the work could be done. But it would be tiresome and lengthy.

As someone who works in the IT industry, specifically with software and databases, I find it quite bemusing (and frustrating) that Traffic 360 does not include a database "import" utility for importing, manipulating and converting Traffic X databases (ie, Traffic X flight plans). In my line of work, to not allow customers to backup, copy, save, export and import their work from an earlier version to a later version (even if it is marketed as a "different, yet similar" product) is a major no-no and is just asking for loss of sales and damaged reputation.

I do understand Traffic 360 is different from Traffic X in many ways ... real-world schedules being one major difference ... but I think it would have been nice to allow me to import and convert my Traffic X work with a warning and understanding that in doing so I would be forgoing some of the Traffic 360 features (such as those real-world schedules). Had that been the case, I might have considered purchasing it.
ranger View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 3:37pm
Hi Guys
I agree there is a lot of work involved, and little to gain if you already have the plus packs. I was a little disappointed that the only things that were different for me were the real world schedules, which to be honest are in a constant state of change anyway and a new set of airport vehicles. I spend much of my time improving the military part of the Sim so nothing new there. Traffic 360 contains all aspects of the plus packs including all the aircraft but I already have them and the aircraft config files give JFAI titles to the aircraft, no mention of traffic version so I assume there will be no problems with importing your own traffic files. I don't like the TCC very much so I use AIFP2 for all my own flight plans. I think that all reported errors have been fixed exceptions being the usual mostly minor errors in the AFCADS. I have corrected some of the more serious problems but It will take for ever to do them all so I will continue checking and correcting and posting on the web site after they release the upgrade.
Cheers Mike
Claim to fame. Flew in the Meteor T7 when it was RAF frontline fighter in the early 1950's
RayM View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 11:00pm
Ranger,
can you clarify the 'titles=' bit in the Traffic 360 aircraft cfg files. As I stated earlier ( "title=JFAI_TX_B7373_BA" ), the format in Traffic X does contain the 'TX' bit. Are you saying that in 360 it would now be "title=JFAI_B7373_BA"?

Ray
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 9:20am
Doesn't appear that there is really any good Traffic Programs out there !

and those Freeware programs are so poorly coded and written you'd have to be a computer programmer to make those work properly.

1 thing I don't like about any of these Traffic programs, is what they expect users to have to do, to direct the program to the right files to make the thing work ??

I don't get it, isn't the Programmer supposed to code that into the program, kinda what they do isn't it, write code and program software ???

course it helps if they actually TEST out some of this stuff several times to catch the Glitches beforehand !

Dunno' glad my paint shop pro never gives me the problems some of these Flight Sim products do, my Track IR5 sure has been very loyal to me without any problems, and my Fraps as well.

Just seems to me these programs should be able to do the hard stuff, since many of us are NOT programmers, and trying to read between the lines the way the product developer wrote the instructions is a task in itself.

Descriptive how to communication seems to lack big time within the Flight Sim Developer community

almost every single product for Flight simming has Forum boards chocked full of, product problems, and some of the Freeware is even worse.   

Kinda why I run my FSX almost, not quite "barebones" !

I'm not real interested in being a computer programmer on a product that should of been coded and done right from the git go.

recently had a freeware program totally Eat my aircraft right out of my Sim, and I never even got to use the program, simply amazing !!

CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 6:25pm
"As someone who works in the IT industry, specifically with software and databases, I find it quite bemusing (and frustrating)"

I agree with that statement !

problem is, NO real True Structure amongst the Flight Sim Developers, and many are at Home programmers scattered across the Globe from every which country.

its a creation of a hodge podge mess of all sorts, with lack of real structure and NO actual Definetions of what exactly needs to be and a whole lot of Self Indulgence in doing things "my way", which more often than not, doesn't work out for the rest of the community as a whole, rather it be Payware or Freeware !

Lotta Independent programmers who just want to do things their way and Not see / look at the whole broad spectrum across the board, which is what were seeing now with a lotta these programs, old & new and the new ones don't necessarily coinside well with any of the older ones from just a few years ago.

What gets me is how some of these programs were wrote & developed and somehow passed ??

as a user, like many, who pay for these supposed programs that are supposed to do what their supposed to do, with user input - -

I find it terribly frustrating that I have to actually direct and point the program to the direct location to find whatever file it needs to make the program work and or function properly.

isn't that what the Program should do on its own if it was properly designed and programmed ???

as it is now, Flight Simmers have "FOLDERS" & "FILES" Scattered all over hells creation within their Flight Sim version what #, under all sorts of Hellish Goofy names, that we'd never know where to look or find without spending hours upon hours trying to find their correct locations.

Example is that SDK/ File, that's well hidden so well hidden that only a small few know where its hiding at and what its for - then on top of that, is the very , for some reason , Secretive code name - SDK, which stand for software developers kit,,like the idiot programmer at MS, couldn't make a separate Folder easy to find - and named that "Folder" - "SDK=Software Development Kit" ,,, damn that was so hard for me to just type that little bit right there, I'm sure i'll end up in the Hospital over that Sudden burst of energy I had to use !!!!!!

That SDK Folder should of been placed , in the Main FSX Folder area along with all the other Folders & files we access quite often as well, doesn't need to be hidden, doesn't need a Shit load of Secrecy attached to it , I se NO reason at all as to hide the very Folders Files thay Expect us to Access to eventually make the programs work !!

Another Example that truly Frustates is how many attempt to name their Folder Structures with Add On Scenery -

all kinds of Folder names with absolutely nothing to do with the Airport Add On itself.

From Now On, whenever I download an Airport rather it be Payware or Freeware, that Add On Folder gets named like it should be , so if necessary later on, It can be checked if there is a scenery problem down the road and, so I know if I'm about to install another Airport scenery of the exact same, this will alert me that I've already got a scenery of that airport.

My Airport Add On' Folder Structure is set up as in the following :

Each Folder gets named according to the Airport "IACO codes", the "name of the Airport" and the "country" / region its in.

nothing more !

Example:

PKMJ Majuro Atoll S.Pacific

KMKC Wheeler Airport Missouri

KLAS Los Angeles Calif

at the end of all my Folder names - I also attach this bit of Info so I know rather its Payware Scenery or Freeware scenery, because, and the reason I do this -

is because, 6 months to 2 years down the road, I won't remember rather that particular Scenery is Payware or Freeware that I have installed in my Sim.

So, I attach at the end of the "Folder" name the following:

FW or   PW

FW = Freeware

PW = Payware

then I know did I buy that scenery or did I download it as Freeware ??

My Add On' Airport Folder now looks like this :

PKMJ Majuro Atoll S. Pacific PW

SVMG Santiago Mariño Margarita Venezula FW

All my Add on SCENERY folders start off with the IACO Code 1st !!

then if I try to install another scenery by accident of the same airport, when I do a windows pop up screen will appear alerting of a folder of the same name !!!

Keeping in mind I NEVER EVER just download an airport and inject it directly into my FSX Sim, without 1st going thru the folders and files and checking them.

Then I rename the folder of whatever Airport, as described above, Before ever ever Injecting it into the Simulator.

Also what I like about this "Structure", is that everything shows up in Alphabetical Order, because of the IACO Codes !!

No more hunting & searching trying to Find that 1 particular Airport in your Add On Scenery folder that may be causing an issue, or - the original developer has issued an "update" of that particular Airport, now you can find it within seconds or minutes and update it, find the problem , or even Delete out of your simulator.

Unfortunately, I've seen all kinds of Goofy Ass Folder names for Airports, that once injected into the Simulator, a Flight Simmer several weeks later would have NO Idea what that particular Folder is for, what it does, or, how it even got there, and probably wouldn't even know if it was original Default from MS or something they've downloaded from the net.???

I confess - I was that Way for a long time matter of fact !

Till 1 day I decided I'd had enough of this Hodge / Podge - half ass way of how all this was set up and "continues" to be set up this way, frankly, its an "Un-Organized" & "Dis-Organized" Mess !!

Tryin to tell some of these programers that, is another story, they can't wrap their minds around it, can't comprehend it.

There would be a lot Less problems and Mistakes made if Flight Simulator was Structured and Organized more than the way it is and was Churned out and if others would just take the time to follow the structure process and not deviate from it ever.

No different than Flying in REAL LIFE, there are procedures to follow and must be maintained and Standards to adhere to and protocols to follow to Fly correctly !

Not like this Hodge Podge mess of Dis-Organization that's going on' where everybodys lost and confused and Dis-orientated !

I see the Flight Simulator Forum Boards are Chocked Full of tons of Questions, Complaints, about all these supposed programs, and how & why they won't work, and where & how do you find this location or that Folder location and File, and so forth

I spent a good 3 weeks a few years ago, doing nothing but studying the entire Folder & File Structure Layout of FSX Gold / Acceleration - everyday for 3 weeks, just studying how it was layed out, how the Folders were named , where they were located, how the Files were named and located in what Folders and where.

and now, I rarely ever will let a self installer - Self Install Add On Scenery or Aircraft - its rarely that i'll let that happen, and since doing this, I have NOT had 1 CTD / Crash to Desk top issue ever !!

Another thing I do, is to Take out & Delete / Erase Any & All un-necessary Files and Folders that are NOT needed with whatever download, such as DIZ Files Read Me files - PDF Read me Files - etc.

I keep only the bare bones needed in the folder to make whatever work like its supposed to.

IF it a PDF Instruction File, I save those to an area away outside of the Flight Simulator in a Special PDF Read me Folder I set up to save such files, for reference later.

I hate Junk where its not supposed to be and unorganized and scattered.

Jetranger

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic