This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Effect of Traffic Scalar in AI traffic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effect of Traffic Scalar in AI traffic?
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 11:30am
One of the properties associated with FSX airports is a "Traffic Scalar" having a value range of 0 to 1 (eg, 0.7). This value is individually set for every airport (unlike the global FSX traffic percentage sliders).

Q. Anyone know how the traffic scalar value affects AI traffic (if at all)?

Thanks,

Bruce
i7-3770K @4GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX670
FSX Gold, UTX, GEX, REX, EZdok
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:06pm
If I remember correctly it has little or no effect as traffic density is largely based on flight plans to/from the airport, but don't quote me on that.

I think I looked at it when I was putting AI aircraft into AirHauler originally, but one of the scenery designers would have a better handle on what it does, if anything.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
starling View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:14pm
Thanks Slopey. When I get the time I'll run a few tests using different traffic scalar settings (0, 0.5 and 1.0).

Bruce
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 6:44pm
Changing an airport's traffic scalar could affect the amount of traffic seen at an airport. Whether a change in the traffic scalar is noticeable would depend upon the number of parking spaces available at an airport as well as the number of AI flight plans that are created for the airport.

All Flight Simulator X stock airports (and Traffic X airports*, too) use a traffic scalar of 0.70. Airports created with or modified by Airport Design Editor default to a traffic scalar of 0.70. The conventional wisdom is to never change the traffic scalar. Keeping the traffic scalar a constant 0.70 at all airports avoids experiencing unexpected differences in airport traffic among airports. There are already enough variables associated with AI traffic. There's no reason to add unnecessary complication by using another variable. It's much better to maintain a constant 0.70 traffic scalar at all airports.

*Decompiling a few Traffic X airport bgl files into xml files showed me that Traffic X airports don't have any coding for traffic scalar. This leads me to believe that Traffic X airports default to the same traffic scalar that is used by FSX stock airports, but I don't know really what traffic scalar FSX uses when no traffic scalar coding is present in an airport file. When opened in Airport Design Editor, Traffic X airports show a traffic scalar of 0.70, but ADE, itself, may be inserting this scalar. Whatever traffic scalar Traffic X airports default to, it is clear that the absence of scalar coding at Traffic X airports means that all Traffic X airports default to the same traffic scalar.

Dan
starling View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 7:07pm
Thanks Dan - I just don't like "not knowing". I can see the value in having the same traffic scalar at all airports.

Bruce
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by starling starling wrote:

I just don't like "not knowing".

Bruce

Me, too. That's one of the reasons I read the Just Flight forums. I learn both from many of the answers as well as from many of the questions. If the AI-traffic-related forums get quiet for a while, I practically go through withdrawal from not getting to read one of freddy's responses. Of course, there are other exceptionally bright and knowledgeable individuals who participate in the AI traffic forums, but freddy is the most prolific.

Dan
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

Me, too. That's one of the reasons I read the Just Flight forums. I learn both from many of the answers as well as from many of the questions. If the AI-traffic-related forums get quiet for a while, I practically go through withdrawal from not getting to read one of freddy's responses. Of course, there are other exceptionally bright and knowledgeable individuals who participate in the AI traffic forums, but freddy is the most prolific.

I too get withdrawals if there is no discussion on AI. I am humbled by your statements here. As much as I don't want to admit it, "prolific" is probably the correct word. Like you guys, I have a desire to "want to know". I also happen to have some kind of weird insanity which compels me to "want to help" and thus drives me to research answers and provide responses (hence "prolific"). But, I am no expert. It is Traffic X and the Traffic X forum that I thank for the knowledge that I have picked up along the way ... as a result of researching, testing results, and responding to questions. I have to bow to people such as ReggieF and JViles on other forums; and many other people as well (and I'd include Dan in that list).

I am sure there is still much that I (we) don't know, and many more questions to keep coming.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic