This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EZY fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grth_bbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EZY fire
    Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 2:21pm
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 4:57pm
I doubt any fire erupted at all. All sensationalistic journalism. I suspect what they actually saw was said engine eating itself for breakfast, which often will lead to a few flames exhausting out the back of the engine (and occasionally the front).

If the plane had been on fire, they'd know about it. They'd have been on the ground asap (no circling to burn fuel to get below max landing weight), and have exited the aircraft using the theme park method having stopped on the runway.

PS, off topic, but thanks to whoever reinstated my post count.Wink Unless it was automatic.Smile Either way, thanks.Big%20smile
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 5:54pm
Quote no circling to burn fuel to get below max landing weight

As far as I'm aware the 737 has no way of dumping fuel? More media bullplop!

I updated your post count Hot Charlie, cheques can be made to 'Martyn Northall' Clown
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 6:14pm
Quote As far as I'm aware the 737 has no way of dumping fuel?

No. Where did they get that from?!

EDIT: I think there has been a mis-understanding:

Quote The pilot managed to make an emergency landing after circling over the sea to get rid of fuel.

Now that makes sense.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote As far as I'm aware the 737 has no way of dumping fuel?

No. Where did they get that from?!

EDIT: I think there has been a mis-understanding:

Quote The pilot managed to make an emergency landing after circling over the sea to get rid of fuel.

Now that makes sense.

Yep, the only fuel dump option in the 737 is via the engine.WinkSmile

Quote I updated your post count Hot Charlie, cheques can be made to 'Martyn Northall'

Thanks MartynBig%20smile
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 7:34pm
I love the passenger reports, typical.

Quote All of a sudden we heard a juddering from the side of the plane, and then you could see what looked like flashing lights outside

Juddering can easily be turbulence - as for the lights they are called strobes or beacons.

Quote After a couple of seconds you realised that there were flames coming out. People started shouting, and we were just hanging on for grim death.

Flames coming out of the rear side of the aircraft - you wouldn't be alive if that had actually happenned.

And as for the shouts of Fire, Fire!!, Hot Charlie explains it perfectly.  

Most likely cause - engine decided to combust, causing a couple of flames, and due to the 737s smallish size, the flames looked big and the passengers decided that it flames were coming out of the aircraft and they were going to die.

grth_bbtt View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grth_bbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:36am
compressor failure perhaps?
causing to flame out.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:21pm

I haven't read the report but i have heard about it. Why is everybody dismissing an engine fire as if they do not exist???

I would have liked to have seen your faces if you were sat next to that engine when it decided to give up!!! Clap

Why are people so quick to judge and conclude. Angry
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:26pm
I'd be "whoa......." and hoping they don't shut down the wrong engine. Other than that, I wouldn't be too concerned. If I'm going to die, well, what am I going to do about it anyway?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:42pm
Fair enough Vulcan, if thats how you think you will react then good on you. When faced with these situations, i think you will find that you may react a little differently.

Thats quite a naive and selfish thought process.
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 12:21am
Want to bet? Wink

I've been in a life-or-death situation - I know how I react. That is how - I remain strangely calm. If it's over, it's over. We don't all live to 100 and die a peaceful death. It's a fact of life. Maybe I'm just more at ease with that thought than others?? If I can prevent it though (dying), I sure as hell will.

Quote selfish thought process.

How is it selfish?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 1:00am

It is a bit contradicting when you say "If I'm going to die, well, what am I going to do about it anyway?" and then you say "If I can prevent it though (dying), I sure as hell will"

Not trying to prevent your death is selfish to friends, family and others around you.

Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic