This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worth reducing clock speed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worth reducing clock speed?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:01am
Hi everyone,

I have had my PC overclocked for a few years now at 4.2GHz, but over the past few months the CPU temps have been rising and rising, and now every time I start FSX it quits after around 15 minutes due to overheating.

Is it worth notching back the clock speed to 3.8GHz? Or will the effect on temperatures not be worth it?

Cheers,

Jack

mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 6:02am
1. Have you cleaned the PC out, vacuum all the dust. PCS make good vacuum cleaners.
2. What sort of heat sink do you have. It simply may need removing and re seating with new paste may help.
3. The base temp for any system is the air temp. if you air temp is at 30c it doesnt leave your cpu much headroom. I have no aircon, can get into the 40s in summer. PC stay off those days.

Thats a start
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:48pm
Yeah PC is totally cleaned.

Using a Domino ALC cooler, has worked fine for awhile now.

Base air temperature is around 25 degrees C.

RegY View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RegY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:29pm
he means in the case itself.

look after your cpu and case temperatures and the airflow... maybe you might have to install more fans in it for better airflow. if you're worried about noise, fans are very silent thesedays already....

the overclocking does add up some temperature, but if it was running fine so far, it shouldn't be an issue too much. unless you did something or something got damaged. like a fan. (or in your case, the LC cooling itself)

i definatelly suggest looking into the connection between the cooling of the cpu and the cpu itself. maybe new paste, if it's working correctly, if it gets enough fresh air... etc.

since you're using a liquid cooled cpu cooler.... i'd check if it didn't spring a leak or the liquid is low... it happens also in older LC systems. unfortunatelly. that is why i didn't use it again on my system. might also be a LC pump problem. who knows.

good luck on finding the problem.
Cheers,
Reg
RegY View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RegY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:31pm
p.s.: if nothing else works, since i suspect a LC cooler fault, i'd try with a new CPU cooler, if that fixes the problem
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:01pm
The previous LC failed and hence we installed a new one, so I don't want to buy yet another liquid cooler.

I don't think the case can fit any more fans in it.

Idle temps are 60 degrees on all 4 cores.

RegY View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RegY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 1:12am
my i5 3570kruns at aprox 35-40C on idle... oc'd to 4.2

and i got a ventilated cooler on it... it's big, with a 120mm fan, but still, not LC.

it should definatelly be cooling better....

might be, when you changed the cooler, that you applied too much or too little paste? or did the overheating occur way later after the swap?

Cheers, Reg
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 9:45pm
Alright, so I think I figured out the problem.

I took the radiator out of the liquid cooler unit and it was absolutely clogged with dust, absolutely caked in the stuff!

Unfortunately this problem is un-noticeable from the outside hence my observation that the PC was totally clean.

Idle temperatures are now 40 degrees C, under load they have not risen about 67. Not bad methinks!

RegY View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RegY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:26am
very good.... glad the solution was that easy :)
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 1:34pm
Yes, it's no wonder it was overheating if you have never cleaned out the rad.

You should clean it out on a regular basis. I use temp as my guide. When the temps start to rise, time to clean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic