This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows updates
    Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 10:17pm
Flying around today and I noticed a drop and fluctuations in fps. When I came out of FSX an on screen message told I had some Windows updates which I down-loaded. Since then fps have been erratic. Anyone else had this problem? 
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 9:02am
Have you rebooted your PC? Installation of those updates may be pending.

I keep up to date, as we should, but haven't had any issues so far.

You could unistall all the new updates and test again, just in case one of them is being naughty. Or system restore of course.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:24pm
Thanks Martin, I did a reboot, methinks the PC is getting beyond it's sell-by.

A query on frame rates. In an excellent article in issue 74 PC Pilot, Mathijs Kok of Aerosoft recommended setting FPS at unlimited in FSX. Is this the general consensus?
Must Fly!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 11:48am
No, it isn't the consensus. The consensus is to lock at 30. [Not that I do]

Personally, I tend to listen to the consensus- and then see what works "for me". We all have different set ups.

For example, as soon as I updated to my previous system, I found I could lock frame rate at 60, and not experience very many stutters. Now, with my new Ivy Bridge system, overclocked to 4.5 GHz, I see perhaps one or two stutters the entire flight.

My new system is locked at 50 though. I found that BP=0 generated some artifacts, simply as a result of the massive amount of data that was been fed to the GPU, with no buffer. By simply dropping back to a 50 FPS lock, it was enough to eliminate all artifacts. And yes, I believe I could run at unlimited quite successfully.

So to sum up, conventional wisdom would have it that we must lock at 30 to avoid stutters. However- that does not apply if you have the latest overclocked kit, and importantly, don't fly into hyper detailed payware airports with FSX sliders up to max.

Additionally, it also depends on the particular scenario. Some so called FSX gurus, recommend unlimited for some scenarios and locked for others.

What you may have read is to set FSX to unlimited, and lock the frame rate with a thrid party frame rate lock.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 1:24pm
Thanks again Martin. Owning to my low spec PC most of my sliders are over to the left as I'm not too bothered about scenery, airports or AI aircraft. That will probably change after an upgrade.

Best Regards,
Must Fly!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic