This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cruise Settings for Normal Cruise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjack39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise Settings for Normal Cruise
    Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:46pm
In looking at the Cruise Settings in the Reference section, they only go up to 17,000 ft. However, elsewhere it is indicated the service ceiling is 25,000 ft. Are we to assume that the settings are the same as what we have at 17,000 if one chooses to go higher, or is in fact 17,000 the optimun altitude for flying a normal cruise with 90,000 or less pounds?

Secondly, nowhere does it indicate what the maximum weight is for landing.

I really love flying this bird and want to make it as realistic as possible.

Jack
PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:52pm
Hi Jack,

In FS9 I used to fly the CalClassic DC-6 and I use their DC-6 handling notes for the JF DC-6.
Econ cruise (FL160-FL225) @ 83000 lbs
Cowl Flaps closed
30 inches MAP
1800 RPM

Tip: I assigned a keystroke for  operating the cowl flaps, much easier to use than the switches in the overhead. ("O' for open and "C" for close)

In FSX the engines start at the same moment when pushing the starter switch. If you want a more realistic engine start open the aircraft.cfg and scroll down to the section [piston_engine]
Look for the line normalized_starter_torque=0.035
Change that to read 0.005. Save and close the file. (make a backup first !!!!)
Now the props are turning slowly before coming into life. Looks great in spotview !!

If  you want an absolute stunning sound for the "six" then go to

and download their R2800 soundpack (freeware)

Have fun

Peter
CaptainIFLY View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainIFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:31pm
Peter ??

Curious to know something - on those numbers you listed above, ( Change that to read 0.005 ), does increasing the number higher make the Props turn slower ??

or - does "Decreasing" the number Lower make them turn slower ??/

Also - would those numbers apply to other prop Aircraft too - or - just this one in particular ??

Thanks, Capt. I Fly.
PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:30am
Hi Captain,
Got your PM, thanks.
If you decrease too much, the engines won't start at all, keeping those numbers higher and you will not see any difference. It's a bit trial and error. (That's why always make a note of the default values) Btw it has no influence of the operating of the engines during cruise, it just makes the engines starting more realistic. And of course you should do the enginestart in spotview.
Press ctrl+shift+F4, open the cowlflaps and go to outside view
Select engine # 3    press E3
Select Magneto        press M
press + and watch the result. The prop will start slowly and stops turning. Or press + a couple of times untill the engine come into life.

Have fun

Peter

I have to go to work now, but I will come back tonight with the figures for the Connie and the DC-3. So stay tuned.

PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm
These are the settings I use for:

JF Connie  L049 and L749:        0.003   (default = 0.033)
Can't find good working figures for the L1049.

JF DC3 :   0.005   (default = 0.025)

PeterL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic