This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using the popup GPS and Autopilot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjack39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using the popup GPS and Autopilot
    Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 1:17am
AS indicated in the manual, there is a popup GPS. Also, there is a popup Autopilot (Shift +4). My question is: Are these popups really functional? Today, I tried to fly the DC-6B with them and was unsuccesful as far as the plane maintaining the required course.

As I have noticed with other planes, somewhere on the main panel there is usually a button that allows one to toggle between GPS and NAV. I do not see that on this plane. Therefore, are there other buttons that must be set elsewhere before the GPS will maintain lateral navigation if the NAV button is enabled on the Autopilot?

I am really enjoying this airplane and remember it so well from my youth. So glad that someone made it available for me to fly. Flight dynamics are great.

Jack
PeterL View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 1:10pm
Hi Jack,
You can't let the A/P follow the route, there is no GPS-NAV switch. LNAV did  not exist in those days.  So you have to navigate all by yourself by selecting headings to follow your flightplan.
I use the GPS window to check if my aircraft stays on course and follows the pink course line correctly.

Regards

Peter 

macjack39 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macjack39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:09pm
By "selecting headings" does this mean if I turn the Heading Selector meanie head on the Captain's panel to the desired heading that the AP will automatically turn to that heading if the AP is "On"? If not, then it seems that I must maually turn to the desired heading and then enable the Heading Hold button on the AP. Please clarify. Thanks.

Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic