This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FS2004 & FSX on same drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FS2004 & FSX on same drive
    Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:58pm
Is it possible to have FSX and FS2004 on the same hard drive without any issues?

Thanks.
modelflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:09pm
OK i decided to install FS2004 on a different drive and operating system on the same pc as which FSX is installed.
Looking at the case for FS2004 I nearly laughed at the system requirements being so old by todays terms it seemed a good idea to give it a go so in it went on my 64bit Vista drive.

I installed quite a few JF aircraft which are luckily FS2004 & FSX compatible (thanks Just Flight) then ran FS2004 with all settings maxed out.

70fps was easily had and I have locked it down to 50 which is very smooth and stutter free.

Now I don't have any compatible FS2004 mega scenery or airports but would like to see the frame rate with such things installed.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 6:16pm
I have 2004 and fsx on same drive, just wish i could run AH on both but dont think it can be done...probably need two copies
modelflyer View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:21am
Ok thanks for the reply. It turns out that my download of UK2000 Manchester airport is also FS2004 compatible so I have installed that too but somehow looks different to the FSX version.

I have also noticed that all the scenery and buildings in FS2004 seem to have a constant shimmer to them a bit like a heat haze and cannot seem to get rid of this or perhaps this is just how FS2004 is due it being an older version.

Wain, you mention AH in your reply but what is AH?

Phil.
wain View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 12:09pm
sorry thats Air Haulier, fantastic add on, take a look on just flight. I found that they both worh wit AH on the same drive so I can use either and make use of the many fs9 addons I have...
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 12:09pm
AH will work with both - it'll ask you which one you want to use when you start a new company. (But you can't move a company between versions of FS).
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
williamfrey45 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamfrey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 3:11am
Will FS2004 run on Windows 8?  I was understanding it would only run on XP systems.
WilliaM:)
WarHorse47 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarHorse47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 3:22am
I have both FSX and FS 2004 running on Windows 8 for the last year with no problem.
Just don't install them under the default directory C:\Program Files (x86).

--WH
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamfrey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 2:45am
I have installed FS2004 on Windows 8 ASUS lap-top.......it runs great!  Now if I could just get Ubi-Soft's IL-2 1946 to work,  has anyone tried? 
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamfrey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 12:36am
Update. I have FS2004 and FSX installed, both run great on Windows 8.  In fact,  I installed the old '98 Combat Simulator......just to see how it would look on the flat screen.  Well, it works. I took a bit of fine tuning but it does bring you back to the good old days. I was also able to get CFS3 to work with Windows 8. Again, it took a bit of fine tuning to get the screen resolution right to fit the ASUS lap-top. I hadn't played CFS3 in awhile, so when I found it worked, I clicked dogfight, picked Spitfire Mk v against  5 109's. I got shot down.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic