This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Early question about new "Traffic 360°" product
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early question about new "Traffic 360°" product

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early question about new "Traffic 360°" product
    Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 4:21am
This question is directed at Just Flight ... I am hoping they will respond here.

I read the information on the new "Traffic 360°" product (http://www.justflight.com/product/traffic-360-download).

Martyn had emailed me a little while ago to ask if I wanted to help with the BETA testing of this new product.  I politely declined the offer due to the way my existing Traffic X schedules and flight plans have been heavily modified and integrated in to my FSX.  Not to mention the many repaints I have worked on (Traffic X Repaint tool), the additonal liveries that I've added, and all the aircraft that I've downloaded, imported and added schedules for.  Bottom line, I did not want to lose the countless hours of tireless work, schedules, repaints, imports, and everything else that I have dedicated to Traffic X and "imbedded" in to my FSX.  I did not want to have to "start over", from scratch, again.  Martyn understood.

However, in reading the details of this product on the web page, I see that there is an UPGRADE FROM TRAFFIC X version which will apparently update the download or boxed editions of Traffic X to the full "Traffic 360°" specifications.

So, my question is this:  What exactly does that mean?  (Martyn made no mention of an "upgrade version" in our email correspondence.)

Will this upgrade seamlessly import all of my current schedules and aircraft?  Will it also seamlessly import any additional aircraft that I have worked on (Traffic X Repaint tool), downloaded and imported?  I notice that there will be new aircraft included with "Traffic 360°".  If their filenames or folders are the same as existing Traffic X folders and filenames, will the update overwrite those folders (ie, I will lose my repaints and the many aircraft.cfg modifications that I have made)?  Etc etc.  In other words, Traffic X is an extremely integral part of my FSX.  It is very heavily entrenched in my FSX.  If I purchase this upgrade version of "Traffic 360°", will installing it cause me to lose any or all of my existing Traffic X flight plans, schedules, repaints, imports, and the many many countless hours of work that I have done with Traffic X and FSX?  It would be nice if it simply gave me the new/updated interface and tools, with new aircraft ... whilst, at the same time, keeping my existing schedules, existing aircraft, existing repaints, existing liveries and all other work still intact.
mungi123 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mungi123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 9:16am

Hi freddy, this is my problem excatly, I am unsure whether I will lose all my edited flight plans and aircraft like yourself. A reply from Just Flight is much anticipated!

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:26pm
Hi,

By "upgrade" we are talking purely in terms of getting the new version for a cheaper price for being a loyal Traffic X customer. The Upgrade version will be identical to the non-upgrade version and won't be doing any flightplan migration from Traffic X.
Traffic 360 uses different folder names etc to stop it interfering with the previous version. If you are a user of both X and 360 and you really cannot bear to remove your TX files then what you should be able to do is retain your Traffic X installation and with a bit of configuration cherry pick the new aircraft and flight plans from 360 to supplement your existing traffic setup.

I hope that helps?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 1:49am

This sounds good. Different folder names etc will ensure that Traffic X, and all the work done in it, is indeed kept intact.

I was thinking along the lines of adding/editing/massaging my existing Traffic X flight plans and schedules in to Traffic 360, to make use of the newer interface, tools, and liveries ... rather than going the other way from Traffic 360 to Traffic X.  It makes more sense to go forwards, to a new product, rather than backwards, persisting with the old product.

With that in mind, are you able to elaborate on how one may go about this "cherry picking"?  For example, can one simply cut and paste an entire flight plan (or group of flight plans), or would one have to manually add each flight plan, line by line, time by time, leg by leg, as one does now with Traffic X?  Or perhaps there is some other method?

I gather that to do this "cherry-picking" one would need to go through one's existing Traffic X flight plans and hand-choose flight plans which one feels should be included in Traffic 360 ... and then "transfer" (add/edit) those flight plans.  I can visualise both programs open at the same time ... some comparing of flight plans and schedules being done ... and then the required manual work to add/edit in Traffic 360.  Perhaps some cutting and pasting with Notepad (if you are familiar with such advanced techniques [as I am]).

And, in a similar fashion, as for my own livery and repaint updates and additions, those would need to be added/imported in to Traffic 360, and then the flight plans added for them as well.

Hmmm.  With all of the many many changes and edits that I have made to flight plans and schedules, this "cherry-picking" work could take a long long time.  And I've got a lot of repaints and livery changes as well.

I've done all the hard work already ... in Traffic X ... and I now want to reap the rewards (flying instead of adding/editing).  So I'm wondering if adding/editing this stuff in to Traffic 360 will be an easy task as opposed to a laborious one.  Hence I am hoping you may be able to elaborate a little on how this "cherry-picking" might be done.

Nonetheless, with different folder names, it sounds like one could quickly revert back to Traffic X if the work became too much. I am just that little bit more enthusiastic about this product now. Food for thought.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic