This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC Upgrade
    Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:30am
Hi guys,

Long time no speak! My hard drive has died (Corrupt Master File Table) but that's not the purpose of this topic!

I'm looking to upgrade my machine. Currently the spec is i7 920 at 4GHz, 6GB DDR3 (motherboard still only reads 4GB) and a GTX560Ti. I'm looking to keep the GPU, but replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM. At the moment my eye is on either the i5 3570k, or the i7 3770k with 8GB of RAM. I saw on Scan they do overclocked bundles which include the motherboard, CPU, RAM and heatsink. I guess I'm a bit spoilt for choice with motherboards and RAM so am asking for recommendations! I ideally don't want to spend much more than £400. I'm not too bothered about overclocking. I don't use FSX that much anymore so it's mostly for general simulation gaming and everyday use, jut with a bit of oomph!

Would I also need to replace my PSU if going for a new Ivy Bridge? I have an 850W Corsair but it's 3 years old.

This is what I was looking at http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=1264

Thanks!
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 10:23am
If you're not bothered about overclocking, and you don't use FSX much any more, why upgrade an i7 920 at 4GHz?

You're not going to get any tangible improvement. Add more RAM and find out why the mobo doesn't see the other 2Gb (mismatched sticks/dodgy stick/dodgy socket?).

If you want to upgrade something you could buff the gfx card.

I don't understand why you'd "upgrade" an i7 at 4GHz to an i7 at 3.5GHz?
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 12:29pm
I've tried absolutely everything to sort the RAM issue over the past year. It's just not having it. It stopped working after installing my Noctua NH-D14 cooler. I've deduced from tests that it's always the middle DDR3 DIMM that is dead, so I would assume it needs a new motherboard anyway.
Kind regards,
Tom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 1:59pm
Have you tried manually setting the timings/voltage etc. for the RAM?
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 2:50pm
I have indeed. Tried stock settings and a variety of different timings and voltages one by one. Still only 4GB.
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 8:32am
I'd buy new RAM and try that first. Worst case (mobo dead) you'll need to do it anyway. Or get the RAM tested at a nearby computer shop if you can find one which will do it.
AirHauler Developer
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:54pm
This is a P6T issue. Mine did the same. Sorted itself out though for some reason. Was discussed plenty on the Asus support forum a while back.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 4:59pm
I don't understand why you'd "upgrade" an i7 at 4GHz to an i7 at 3.5GHz?
Think the architecture may be better with the new i7's. 3770K certainly overclocks well. 5GHz I believe for many.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 6:47pm
I still don't see the point from a cost perspective, certainly not for a bang-per-buck viewpoint. And even more so with:

Quote I'm not too bothered about overclocking
AirHauler Developer
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
Yep, it's a two generation jump on the CPU to an Ivybridge core.
Actually, on the dissapearing RAM thing, forgot that my X79 board does it as well (also Asus) - 'loses' one side of a 4GB module - sees it again sometimes but need to spec the settings manually or switch between XMS and non XMS auto settings. Odd..
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 8:58pm
If I could get the RAM sorted I would probably wait but to be honest it's frustrating me so much I either want to fix it or get shot of it! I've recently taken up a new job as an IT Support Technician at a university, where as you can imagine the machines have a hard life being constantly abused by students! We pull machines apart every day, replacing graphics cards and RAM frequently. Seldom have any issues. With my one I'm completely stumped!
Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 10:06am
Doesn't look as if you are going to fix this Tom, given you've been trying so long. Have you tried RMA'ing the MB and or RAM?

Are you sure games are not accessing the full RAM, or is it just a reporting thing?

I believe this is a chip set thing. Some Gigabyte boards do it as well.
Flyguy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:53am
Currently the spec is i7 920 at 4GHz, 6GB DDR3 (motherboard still only reads 4GB)

The motherboard saying it has only 4GB of memory when actually it's got 6GB in it. There is a simple answer, if your running a 32bit system 4GB is the maximum memory it can display. If you run a 64bit system it can handle more memory, My system shows 16GB of memory in my 62bit version of Windows 7
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 9:28pm
Errm, bit of a bump for a thread from Oct 2012 no?

Anyway, Tom's problem was that the motherboard only reported 4Gb in the bios. Nothing to do with a 32-bit OS.
AirHauler Developer
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Flyguy Flyguy wrote:

Currently the spec is i7 920 at 4GHz, 6GB DDR3 (motherboard still only reads 4GB)

The motherboard saying it has only 4GB of memory when actually it's got 6GB in it. There is a simple answer, if your running a 32bit system 4GB is the maximum memory it can display. If you run a 64bit system it can handle more memory, My system shows 16GB of memory in my 62bit version of Windows 7

Yep I'm fully aware of the difference between 32 and 64 bit operating systems, as I said in my post above I'm an IT Technician as my day job! as Slopey said its not an OS issue, the 2gb memory is not even being picked up by the BIOS.
Kind regards,
Tom
Flyguy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 5:53am
I love my AMD system, it's got the Zambezi 3.6GHz eight core CPU overclocked to 4.2GHz with 16GB of DDR3 memory. It is using the ATI 6970 video card with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory. I'm running 64bit Win7 I have installed on a SSD drive with 3 Asus 24" monitors. I want to upgrade my joystick to one of the new yokes. Oh the CPU and video card are both water cooled in a Lian Li PC-P80 all alumumin case.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 9:34am
P80 is a nice enclosure. I have the P50.

Once you have gone aluminium, steel seems crummy.
Flyguy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:30am
I have to agree with you MartinW, I bought the P-80 when the first came out and I've used alumumin on my other computer as well. While I have you here I just want to thank you guy's for making some excellent aircraft. I own eight already and plan to buy more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic