This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > 146 Jetliner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ENGINE START

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENGINE START
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:54am
As per the tutorial, and at the stage for engine start, after START MASTER to ON and START SELECT 4, the engines will not start.  I have tried numerous times, occasionally after about 30 seconds or more, No.4 will start..other times not at all. I then try Ctrl E and they will start.

I have also found on a normal flight when you load up, the engines are running, so I close them down and then go thru the cold n dark procedure. All the while, there is an annoying chiming sound in the background, and it doesn,t cease until you are airborne. I can,t find anywhere to shut it off.

Any clues would be appreciated.
fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 8:14pm
Did you manage to sort this out?
I have started having the same problem.
I got the QT pack which messed up the previous installs.
I re downloaded and installed and now I get as far as you have and it wont start.
The only difference being that ctr+E wont even start them.
I have followed a couple of tutorials on youtube that set up the aircraft in a slightly different order but still no luck.

Al
theav8r View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:24pm
Hi Al,
Not really..the guys at Just Flight tried to give me a solution but couldn't. I had no trouble with the QT add on.
I finally discovered what the constant chiming was at flight load..the gear handle was in the up position and the engines were running!
I couldn't drag it down until I cut the engines then the chiming stopped.
Then the only way I could get the engines started was ctrl+e
So I have learned to live with it..if I want to start from cold n dark,I go thru the check lists but when I get to engine start I just Ctrl+E.
This probably hasn't helped you at all..good luck mate

Cheers, Kurt    
MFG2 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFG2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:01am
Here ' s the same Problem. CTRL+E works fine, but the manual (also MANUAL) Start does'nt have function.

MFG2
fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 9:55am
Hi Kurt.

I tried it and and CTR+E does work but after a few attempts.
You can hear the engines warming up one at a time and you get some coming out the back but then they seem to just die again, repeat a few times and they eventually start up.
At the moment I don't get a full cold & dark start when fsx loads so I just leave them running and got through the rest of the checklist the same as you.

Thanks any way though, if I figure a way around it I will keep you posted.

Al
theav8r View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 6:02am
Hi Al,

When my 146 flight loads, my aircraft presents with the engines running.
If you want to do a quick flight, then thats fine..saves time.
But if you want to start from scratch, go to the icon panel and click on the AUTO button which should be green, and this will put the aircraft into "cold n dark" state. The AUTO button will now be red. Then go thru the cockpit procedures as per the manual.
When you get to the Engine Start bit on page 38, I have never been able to individually start the engines as they describe. So now , when I get to this stage I can successfully start them by Crtl+E.
I have heard that if you input Ctrl+Shift+F4, this may work, but it hasn't for me. Go ahead and try ..it may work for you.
Let me know if you have any luck or anything else..

Cheers,

Kurt
robains View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:05am
Just add my name to the list of people having the same problem.  I followed the manual procedures to the letter and all I can ever get started are engines 4 and 3.

As other's have found out, if I hit Ctrl+E a few times, it will work.

I also have a "ding" "ding" "ding" sound that is constant ... only happens after I've sat parked for more than 15 minutes.  I don't know if this is related to the 146 ... it could be REX or GSX doing something unexpected.

I also encountered an FSX crash to desktop when I clicked on one of the APU switch (sorry I did't recall exactly which switch).

And finally after exiting FSX, I got this error "dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau -- CreateSoundBuffer Failed".  Don't have any of these issues using other aircraft FSX default or PMDG or RealAir Duke or Super 80 ... appears to be specific to the 146.

I guess I probably should report this via their support email.  But if anyone has any hints or suggestions in the mean time, they are most welcome.

Thanks, Rob.

theav8r View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:08am
Hi Rob,

Re your constant "ding dinging", have you tried clicking on the yellow button on top left of the instrument panel. This sometimes cancels it.

In my case it was because the gear handle was in the up position.
Don't know about your other problems, I would report them via the support forum.

Cheers and good luck

Kurt
robains View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:13pm
Hi Kurt,

The ding ding isn't any 146 warning ... I've reset all the warning buttons.  I think it might be something to do with REX or GSX or maybe even Traffic 360 (I know Traffic 360 adds/changes sounds)?

The support folks suggested I try Crtl+Shift+F4 to start engines -- haven't tried this yet.  BUT, what I have noticed is that cold and dark (and/or using engine cut) moves the throttle mix to off (I have this mapped to my CH Yoke).  What I may need to do (to get engine start) is to move the throttle mix lever back and then forwards to reset it's position ... and I realize this is not functional for the 146 but the 146 seems to be using the value regardless and hence prevent the engines from starting.
theav8r View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theav8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:21am
Hi Rob,

Let me know if Ctrl+shift+F4 works for you. This is supposed to ensure that all engine cut-offs are OFF. To be honest, I havn't been flying the 146 for a while as I have a couple of new babies in my hangar taking my interest.

Cheers mate
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 6:05pm
Hi There..
Sorry to jump in on your thread. Reading this with interest..especially Robain:

"And finally after exiting FSX, I got this error "dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau -- CreateSoundBuffer Failed".  Don't have any of these issues using other aircraft FSX default or PMDG or RealAir Duke or Super 80 ... appears to be specific to the 146." 

I get the same thing...my FSX main screen disappears to the bottom right of my screen. Can get it back. You're right..it is specific to the 146. 

Same thing with the engine start too. Can't get Eng 4 to kick in. Tried the shift ...F4 thing, no joy...not tried Ctrl+E yet though. Everything else seems OK. 

Anyone here please tell me what purpose all the different panel configs do (1111, 1100, 0000 etc?) if anything. Maybe I'm missing something obvious Embarrassed The config tool? I pick a configuration, apply it to an AC livery....The name appears 'greyed out' Nothing seems to happen. Confused  

Sorry, had to get my bit in...was beginning to think it was just me Ermm 
Thanks
RalphC 

fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 1:03am
Hi everyone,

Just read through all your posts (not been on in a while).
I gave up on the 146 mainly due to a lack of time after work, not disappointment with the product I should add. There has been an interesting development at my end in regards to the start up issue.... I re-installed FSX after getting an SSD. When I added the 146 again I noticed there was no engine sound with the initial cold and dark start. Previously the fuel cut off on all throttle levers had to be switched off before going through the check list (I may be totally wrong but I don't remember seeing this in the manual). Now the sim starts with them already off and after going through the checklist all engines fire everytime.

I have two theories, One is that the download file has been modified since I originally downloaded it.

The other is that it was linked to the problems I was having with the throttle on my F.L.Y 5 joystick being stuck between 9-100% not 0-100%
This has now been replaced with another.

In short...

1 Right click the 4 levers (they should drop back) before anything else in the checklist to make sure the fuel is definitely off.

2 Check your stick/calibration.

3 Maybe try re-downloading / installing the latest files.

Hope this helps, I can't say for sure what has fixed it but its one of those three or a combination.

Also, sorry for any bad mobile typing!

Al
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Intel i7-6700k 4.0GHz
Corsair H110I GTX.
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.
Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR4 2133MHz.
Nvidia Geforce GTX980TI 6GB
2x SAMSUNG 2.5" 500GB.
1x WD BLACK 1TB.
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 6:23am
Hi Fat-al
Thanks for the tips. Interesting read. I re-installed FSX prior to buying the 146 and installing (last week) so I'm assuming I've got the latest file. There is no mention of "fuel Cut Off" in the manual...I've looked. So you might be right. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Whilst I'm here...do you understand the different panels? Confused
RalphC
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 7:34am
Hi Again...
Well, tried it on the default 'tutorial flight' With some success Thumbs Up The throttles are a little misleading, they look 'off' but a click will send them further down the 'consul' (for the want of a better word) the engines started. 

Interestingly, had an outside view, and the engines sound like they're still 'spooling.' The gauges show that all of them are on and stable.

For some reason too, the Red Beacon worked. Hadn't managed that before. 

Thanks Fat-al....I'm going to do a flight this afternoon to check again....Smile
Best Wishes
RalphC 

fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 12:08pm
Hi RalphC,

No problem

I think it's safe to say that this is perhaps down to an unclear point in the manual and not an issue with the aircraft it's self, or any other variable. As I said I start with the levers cut off and I have 4 good engines after start up.

I'm keen to know if other peoples 146 varients start with it already cut off or whether they have to do it before each start, because then there could still be a potential bug.

Al
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Intel i7-6700k 4.0GHz
Corsair H110I GTX.
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.
2x SAMSUNG 2.5" 500GB.
1x WD BLACK 1TB.
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 5:53pm
Hi Al..
Haven't got round to trying the engines again, trying to sort out another problem with FSX Ouch I'm sure it'll be OK next time round..There's always the 'Autostart ' Wink

Anyway, will be interesting to see the other models' performance as you say. I'm thinking of upgrading to the FMC 146...once I've sorted out with JF the problem in my original post. IF they get it sorted that is.
RalphC
fat-al View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat-al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 12:57am
I know how that feels, the air stairs on my 146 QT are constantly out during night flights, Really annoying!!
I use the FMC Version, it's not as hard as I first thought it would be.
I'd love to be able to use the PNG 737's or Airbus X but I don't have the time for hours of reading and practicing just to get off the ground. I'm not a real world pilot so I like to keeps things relatively simple.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Intel i7-6700k 4.0GHz
Corsair H110I GTX.
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.
2x SAMSUNG 2.5" 500GB.
1x WD BLACK 1TB.
RalphC View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RalphC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 8:26am
Hi Al..
That would drive me mad, the airstairs! Have you 'reported it?' 

Talking of which, I'm going to have to do another re-install of FSX. Did one the other day, but I'm getting glitches. I've actually got FS9 (bought it after FSX) and I'm finding myself gravitating to that Smile Most of the AC I like to 'fly' HJG/Cal Classics/TM are more suited to FS9 anyway. 

I'd like the FMC version and if it's not too much hassle to use, might get it. Like you, I like to keep things reasonably simple.  

'Til I fix FSX, I'm grounded in the 146m which is a shame. I'm also moving over to Windows 7..scary thought. Hopefully, that might improve things. 
RalphC 
avey8 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avey8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2014 at 8:33pm
...getting back on topic

Make sure there is enough fuel in the left and right wing tanks.

I found that if the wing tanks have less than 18% fuel then the fuel feed tank gauges 1 and 4 on the overhead panel drop to zero, you get fuel feed warning lights, and engines 1 and 4 fail to start, even if the centre tank is full.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic