This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Viscount - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedViscount - DME

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscount - DME
    Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:40am
Where is it?

Somewhat important, given the absence of GPS!
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:09pm
The Viscount was fitted with HF and VHF communications receivers, ADF, ILS, VOR and a Decca Navigator system. No DME. Later versions may have been retrofitted but the 800 as depicted had no such equipment.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:09pm
If that is the case, then a moving map needs to be provided as the Decca system allowed for grid- and point-referencing based on the intersection of the hyperbola from the Master and Slave stations, from which distance could be measured.
There is no facility to identify a position in the Viscount as things stand, short of popping up the map window or cross-referencing angles with actual charts via overlay.

That is incorrect.

snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:13pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sisaphus/4668896856/lightbox/

Clearly shows an 800 class Viscount with DME's - this is the Brooklands example.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:16pm
Our Viscount does not have a moving map unfortunately and there are no plans to provide one. We cold probably add the default MS GPS, but that will be it.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:17pm
And here's another,this time the former BAF example that was at Bournemouth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/3517924257/sizes/o/in/photostream/
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

And here's another,this time the former BAF example that was at Bournemouth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/3517924257/sizes/o/in/photostream/

>Later versions may have been retrofitted but the 800 as depicted had no such equipment.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:06pm
Which 800? You don't present an individual aircraft. Nor do you state a defined date or time for such representation - I did cjeck the manual for this information prior to posting, as if you represent an individual aircraft on an individual day then you only need to say so and provide the photographic evidence.

But you don't. You provide 12 separate aircraft. Refer only to the `800 series` How many do I need to show equipped with DME before it will be added?
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:09pm

Which 800? You don't present an individual aircraft. Nor do you state a defined date or time for such representation - I did cjeck the manual for this information prior to posting, as if you represent an individual aircraft on an individual day then you only need to say so and provide the photographic evidence.

But you don't. You provide 12 separate aircraft. Refer only to the `800 series` How many do I need to show equipped with DME before it will be added?

It's a generic 800 Viscount.It has no DME. It will have no DME. I am not entering a 'rivet discussion' or contest about it. What there is is what there is. End of conversation on this particular point.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:47pm
Then please do add the GPS. Unrealistic, but if that is the only option to be able to read distances.

Perhaps you can reveal the source documentation that led you to establish the absence of DME? And the presence of LED-style com/nav and transponder? And where the controls are for the water methanol system for the generic Dart Mk510's?

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:08am
Hi Snave,

Please drop a request to the support team (via the Viscount support page) and we'll send you over a tool that allows you to add the default GPS to the aircraft.

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
snave View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 6:26pm
Thanks Martyn, but I have no need of such a tool, as I have added it for myself in the absence of common sense about the addition of DME, which would have been required for the VOR/DME approaches of the day.
Not to mention correct use of the standard glideslope procedures in use at that time.

And if I have to add a GPS, any argument about `realism` in the timeframe occupied by the representation of this arcraft goes out the window, and I would expect DME to be added as a matter of course becaue it's a fundamental failing for an IFR aircraft with a two-person crew... reasonable, yes?

This has nothing to do with `rivet counting` - although I thank the obvious non-pilot for denigrating my opinion as a paying customer - but actually due to the fact that is is not currently possibly to fly this aircraft in IFR conditions as it stands.

And the Viscount was ALWAYS an all-weather aircraft. In all variants.

The `spoiling the ship for a ha'porth` of tar appears to be becoming an issue with recent Aeroplane Heaven releases. I hope I do not regret this purchase, as although there are many other errors in the model (spooling time on the Darts is woefully quick, water methanol not modelled, fuel trimmer lacks the centre slider to control all four engines at once etc etc.) I do believe the product has potential.

But not as it is currently sold. And I don't expect to be a paying beta tester.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:02pm
Quote although I thank the obvious non-pilot for denigrating my opinion as a paying customer

Technically you are correct. Neither of the previous posters are currently pilots. One has a lapsed license and the other only passed their final exams the previous weekend and hasn't received the actual license in the post yet.

The post isn't going anywhere. We have stated that the product does not have a DME as the aircraft spec it was produced from does not feature one. Therefore this is locked.

If you are not happy with the product as it stands then we are more than happy to provide you with your money back. Please contact me at richard[at]justflight.com if you wish to do so.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 7:15pm

Then please do add the GPS. Unrealistic, but if that is the only option to be able to read distances.

Perhaps you can reveal the source documentation that led you to establish the absence of DME? And the presence of LED-style com/nav and transponder? And where the controls are for the water methanol system for the generic Dart Mk510's?

>And where the controls are for the water methanol system for the generic Dart Mk510's?

Glad you found them.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic