This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do some car drivers even pass there test!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do some car drivers even pass there test!?
    Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 6:20pm
Just abit of ranting from me about Car drivers

Some car drivers never fail to amaze me with there driving, Being a biker i'm always able to get through traffic quicker then any of you who are stuck in your cars with the whole legally filtering through traffic but for some car drivers it really seems to annoy them. Was driving around Brighton afew days ago and have just filtered through some traffic to make me first to pull of from the lights (With my beast i can) But for the annoying sod in the white van he gets annoyed and decided to wave his hands out the window and pull right up my behind, I've looked around and his giving me the whole swearing lark and so on, Lights go green and im away only for him to follow me, I've ended up pulling over to let him pass then i get back up to speed with him to ask what his problem is (Not in so many nice words tho). Then we have 2 asian kiddies who clearly should not be driving, Pulling right out in front of me causing me to quickly change lanes causing the poor woman in the other car to break quickly, i've given him the hand movement ( ) but he decides to drive pass me faster with the F words, Did manage to spot him in traffic tho, So while filtering pass him hes mate sticks his arm out of the window to grab me off my bike, I was getting really cheesed off at the point so stopped my bike in front of his car, got off and dragged his mate of out the car....I wont say anymore on that case.

Anyway, i've decided that 90% of car drivers in brighton clearly do NOT look out for us bikers and clearly need retake there driving test or better still the DVLA should stick them on a bike for a day and see how they like being cut up, sworn at, and nearly killed etc etc.

End of rant   
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 6:45pm
Biker - motor or man powered?

When cyclists stop going down the inside of my vehicle to pass me when I'm in the left lane, then I'll think better of them. Let it be known now that car drivers are NOT taught to look for vehicles on their left as that is not how the British road system works. Roundabouts etc.. are from the RIGHT. Traffic overtaking is on the RIGHT, etc.. Cyclists going down the left side are asking to be run over.

Last time I looked, cyclists were not excluded from obeying the rules of the road. I do think they should have a license plate (but I'm not saying they should also pay road tax - some people think the two are inextricably linked). Cyclists do cause accidents between cars with their dangerous cycling and the sooner this is acknowledged, the better.

I do not object to them riding on the pavement either - IMHO it is safer for all concerned - they just need to be sure to alert pedestrians to their presence.

At the end of the day, car kills cyclist every time, so the cyclist needs to take their safety more seriously, and appreciate that drivers of cars and other motorized vehicles maybe didn't see them. I'm also sick to death of cyclists not wearing high-viz, and often riding illegally at night (i.e. NO LIGHTS).

I'm not suggesting you fit into any of these categories, but as usual the few create issues for the many.

Sounds like the passenger deserved whatever he got.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 7:46pm
I do not object to them riding on the pavement either - IMHO it is safer for all concerned

Would disagree with that. Any vehicle should be on the road. I've had a few experiences as a pedestrian with bikes on pavements. I watched my wife almost get injured by an idiot on a bike some years ago, and have nearly got clobbered myself.

In fact people have been known to be killed by bikes.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:58am
Sorry Vulcan, I mean being a motor biker. I ride a Triumph Daytona 600cc.

As for the Cyclists point of view i agree with you as myself i've had afew run ins at night with cyclists popping out from no where wearing extremely dark coloured clothing and no lights on there push bikes, Also teen lads with these small 1 gear BMX bikes that ride in the middle of the road in groups of 4 or 5 weaving in and out do really annoy me.

Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I do not object to them riding on the pavement either - IMHO it is safer for all concerned

Would disagree with that. Any vehicle should be on the road. I've had a few experiences as a pedestrian with bikes on pavements. I watched my wife almost get injured by an idiot on a bike some years ago, and have nearly got clobbered myself.

In fact people have been known to be killed by bikes.

I dunno about that one, From my point of view it is safer to ride on the pavement for afew reasons,

1, Its safer for both the cyclists and the driver

2, When you do ride in the bike lane thats on the road you find yourself having to pull right out into the middle of the road because someone has decided to park in the bike lane to pop into the shops either because they are too lazy to find a safer parking space and walk back to the shop or are just too plain lazy all together.

3, When you try and ride in the bike lane that is clearly printed on the pavement ( Like seafronts in Brighton ) you've got people blocking it by walking in it or mothers with buggys and 3 kids running round her. They then moan at you for trying to get past them .

There are very few bike lanes both on the road and pavements, So if your rsomeone who is willing to stick to bike lanes and ride then its more then likely your going to be riding your bike for the 5 minutes of bike lane thats been printed before coming to the end and are either gonna have to push it on the pavement or take the risk and ride in the road, So in effect your better off leaving the push bike at home and getting the bus.

MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 8:41am
All push bikes should have lights on by law when i was younger i was caught by the local village copper riding my bike just as the street lights came on he stoppe dme for having no lights on my bike and clipped me round the ear then walked home with me and i got a nother clip round the head from me mum.
All so push bikes should have to be licensed  as they use the road the same as cars and motorbikes do so why should they get away with out paying like the rest of us.

Col.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 10:07am
Road tax is a con, lets face it.

How much of the huge amount of money we pay gets used on the roads?

I read that revenue from road tax amounts to something like £37.7 billion.  But there's only £7.7 billion spent on the roads each year.

Spending on the roads has reduced by £5.5 billion.

FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 12:40pm
"Road tax" doesn't pay for the roads, general taxation does. It's proper title is "Vehicle Excise Duty" and shouldn't be used as an entitlement to use the road over cyclists as it is based on the CO2 emissions of the vehicle.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:48pm

It was originally for the roads though, originally paid into the road fund. However, when that was no longer the case, the government of the day craftily still levied the tax.

The CO2 thing is a recent excuse. Basically it's a way of extracting money from the motorist, on top of the huge amount of fuel duty we already pay. Some pay less, some pay more, but I bet if you did the calculations there would be a net profit for the treasury.

If more funds are required, then government, if they were honest, would be straightforward enough to raise income tax. Rather than disguising the requirement to do so with road tax, VAT increases, taxing inheritance twice, taxing booze and telling you it's for your own good, [it is but thats not why they do it] and all the other crafty methods they use.

They won't of course, because the priority is the next election, and the complex way they tax us is to provide them the opportunity to give with one hand, and take with the other. It's a political tool. A way of disguising the amount of tax we really pay.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:22pm
Yes - if you look back, it was supposed to be for the roads, but it isn't anymore - it all goes into the same black hole called "The Treasury".

Income Tax was invented to pay for one of Cromwell's wars - but obviously ended centuries ago, so why do we still pay income tax?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
UberAegis View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 4:58pm
Speaking as someone who rides a motorbike and trains others to do so i have had my fair share of arrogant, ignorant or downright stupid  car drivers. Unfortunately it s a risk you take riding a motorbike. Airbus lad although i am not suggesting you did anything wrong and indeed seemed to have reacted well when a car pulled out in front of you it s what you do next that concerns me. You speak of chasing vehicles to find out "what their problem is" and giving "the hand gesture".Tempting yes but when faced with aggression some drivers will react with aggression. If you hadn t made the hand gesture to those two lads would they have tried to then pull you off your bike, would you then have needed to remove him from the car for some re education.And while you are focused on catching up with these vehicles and making gestures how focused are you on what else is happening around you. In honesty the majority of car drivers don t hate bikes but they make mistakes, unacceptable and it should nt happen but it does. When i have talked to them and explained what they did most will apologise for their error. It might be some other motorcycle that upset that van driver and he then took his frustration out on the next motorcyclist-you.Anyway thats my 2 cents worth, take care and keep it shiny side up
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:48pm
Wise words. You never know who the other driver is you're taking on.

A while back someone got into an argument with a driver. What he didn't know was that the other guy was a rather infamous gangster.

He ended up being knifed to death.

I have trouble controlling my temper myself, but it's something we must strive to do on the road, for our sakes, other road users sakes, and pedestrians.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:15am

Very interesting topic, as a car driver ( who loves motorbikes but never been able to have one ) i myself always keep an eye on my rearview/door mirror for bikers, and if i ever see a bike coming up behind and see he wants to overtake, i move to the left leaving more space for the biker to overtake safely ( its always nice when they say thanks ).

But the problem is some bikers are just as dangerous as the drivers Airbuslad described. I once had a confrontation with a biker after a incident involving a 5 exit roundabout ( bit of a long story so bear with me! ), as you approach this roundabout it splits into two lanes ( left lane for left exit and straight on, right for the other 3 exits ), then as you pull out into it it splits into three lanes,i was heading for the A47 from the Norwich Ringroad and as i was taking the third exit i merged into the lane that said to go into for the A47, ( this was the middle lane ) but the biker was in the left lane, he must have sped up to try and get in front of me because as i started to exit the roundabout i saw in my left door mirror the biker was literally about a foot away from my car doing the usual hand signals, as the road straightened out he then shot out to overtake and cut back into the lane causing me to slam on my brakes, he then slowed down even further causing me to do the same before picking up speed and disappearing, i then pulled into a supermarket as my wife had to get some things, as i did so i noticed the biker filling up at the petrol station, i was livid so i had to go and ask what his problem was, basically he refused to admit he was in the wrong ( argument started to get a bit heated ) and tried to say I was the one who cut him up, before putting his helmet on, starting his bike and while still shouting at me through his helmet almost crashed into a womans car in front of him because he wasnt paying attention. It people like this biker and the drivers Airbuslad described that make the relationship between car and motorbike users a bit of a cold one.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:49am
With regards to the original start of this thread and the ongoing problem of being carved up, its even more hairy when you are a coach or bus driver. I had 25 years behind the wheel of these things and believe me some of the stuff that happens could make your skin crawl. What a lot of pepole forget is that when the force a PSV to brake sharply, its not only themselves their putting at risk but, depending on what sort of vehicle it is, up to 90 other lives! Unlike a truck where a sharp braking action could result in a damaged cargo, People dont react in the same way as a cargo pallet and are often injured. Most drivers are proffessional enough to drive safely (I actually passed my IAM test on a long wheelbase Leyland Atlantean double decker!). Sadly,as in any trade, there are a few that try to ruin the reputation of what is , certainly in western europe, a very vell trained driving team. We follow very strict rules, take numerous tests and exams, and for the most part do a good job. We are of course in charge of a vehicle weighing around 20 tons in many cases and with unique handling attributes, ( not the least being the huge overhangs front and rear which mean cornering has to be done very carefully so as not to hit anything with a back end going in  the opposite direction to the front!) Many motorists forget this and the number of incidents of other vehicles getting to close is renown. When I was with Speedlink Coaches we came up with an interesting solution to partly alleviate this issue. Doing the aircrew transfer work meant we were often going into central London with big 60 seat coaches and consequently into heavy traffic. Now all our coaches were smart and well maintained and many motorists got really close alongside at times, Us drivers did our best protect ourselves but it wasnt alway successfull, then someone suggested taking the nice chrome hubcaps off of the front wheels, Hey presto ! problem halved! How come you ask? well when a car driver is alongside you his head was generally level with the wheels, withthe hub caps in place he somehow seemed to think he was safe, However when faced with 24 huge wheelnuts spinning like Boudicas chariot alongside his ears he suddenly realised that he was only inches from an overgrown mincer! they tended to keep well away! Happy days, he backs off to safety and we could manoever our charges through London!!oh%20how%20I%20laughed
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
BigTex View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 2:09am
I have read statistics compiled by auto insurance groups and the American Automobile Association which show that 75-80% of car-motorcycle accidents which are properly investigated turn out to be the fault of the auto driver.  Because of their situation, bikers are far more aware of traffic around them, unlike auto drivers who are much more likely to be distracted by other things in the car, or just not concentrating on driving enough. 
Auto drivers, especially grannies (from an experience I had in 1979), do not look out for motorcycles.  Especially when making a left turn onto a road (right turn in the UK), as this causes them to cross in front of traffic and if they fail to see an oncoming motorcycle, it's too bad for the biker. 
This constant struggle between bikers and cars is also brought up when municipalities try to pass laws regarding the noise level of motorcycles...bikers argue that having a loud bike causes auto drivers to become aware of them.

That stat about accidents being the fault of autos, only applies in the US, I know.  Here in Korea, I think it would be much lower as there are so many scooter drivers who seem to be suicidal. 

Rick
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 7:40am
I drive a car and when in the UK ride motorcycles.

Ive had my fair share of near misses on motorcycles a lot probably most i will admit by my own stupidity and lack of foresight, but most because of the observation skills of car drivers. I have a good collection of wing mirrors that i have removed in passing, im not an angry guy so i dont shout at people on the road.

I learnt when approaching cars at junctions to look at the eyes of the driver, if he/she makes eye contact then they have seen you if not be prepared to change direction or take evasive action.

Car drivers need to understand that motorcycles are highly manouverable machines (In this i dont just mean fast) they can change road position in a very short space of time. So if your blind spot was clear 5 seconds ago it doesnt mean it is clear now.

Also ive had the ` im jealous because you can filter` situation with cars actually swerving in front of me and even in some cases cars opening doors.

But a rule i try to follow when riding is dont ride into something i cant ride out of and it usually helps :)

Vulcan you are right that it is illegal to overtake on the left and vehicles shouldnt be there this doesnt mean that you should not observe your left hand blind spot.

Riding a motorbike teachers a hightened sense, even paranoid sense of observation, which you take with you when you are driving a car. Maybe young learners as suggested previously should have to take their CBT or ride a certain time 6 months for example on a scooter or small bike before taking their 2 ton hammer test to teach these essential observation skills and most importantly a sense of self preservation which you never have if you have never ridden a motorbike.

.......... блять
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
Quote I learnt when approaching cars at junctions to look at the eyes of the driver, if he/she makes eye contact then they have seen you if not be prepared to change direction or take evasive action.

I do this as a car driver and a pedestrian. You can tell quickly who will be an issue and who won't. I also ignore the indicators and watch the direction of the steering wheels - more than a few times this has saved me from the idiots have been indicating the wrong way and are in the wrong lane/have exceptionally poor positioning (I'd personally pull their licenses and make them re-sit an extended test)!!!!!

Quote So if your blind spot was clear 5 seconds ago it doesnt mean it is clear now.

+1

Quote Vulcan you are right that it is illegal to overtake on the left and vehicles shouldnt be there this doesnt mean that you should not observe your left hand blind spot.

I know. I keep a very good lookout, and in fact get odd looks from other drivers sometimes when I'm looking behind me and to the left, as if I had 3 eyes or something. Mirrors only show you a small amount of area, and I do NOT think that because the mirrors are clear, that it actually is (you can call them blind spots if you like - I call it failing to drive without due care and attention). I think mirrors should be banned - people are lazy and don't look around.

I practice on the road what is taught in aviation: MAINTAIN A GOOD LOOKOUT.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 3:22pm
I think mirrors should be banned

Err, not really, when you are looking behind, you aren't looking ahead. Mirrors are essential. As is glancing behind to cover blind spots when required.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 5:40pm
Regarding mirrors, there is a point I,d like to make  and it affects both Bikes and cars when getting anywhere near large vehicles. Although these days modern trucks and buses are fitted with a whole raft of safety measures, there are still large numbers of older vehicles that are still fitted with the basic wing mirrors. irrespective of what system they have though the well known phrase, "if you cant see my mirrors, then I cant see you!" is still very relevant. In winter, bus and truck mirrors become absolutely covered in grime so its even more difficult to see you. ( especially the small number of motorcyclists who persist in having no lights on!)
other things to remember are NEVER NEVER try to undertake a large vehicle on the road. the N/S is a massive blindspot for the driver, all we can see is whats in the mirror and if your not in the frame you are invisible! NEVER try to pass alongside the the nearside if the vehicle is turning left, we need a hell of a lot of room and a tight turn will result in the vehicle pulling further out from the curb to allow room to turn, its not a gap to try and get through! (some woman tried this on me in a brand new Audi many years ago in Richmond on Thames town centre, Her stupidity blocked the one one way system for over an hour while the remains of the car were extracted from the wheelarch of my bright yellow double deck Leyland Olympian! the Audi was a write off, the bus got a chipped wheelarch!) Another thing to remember, especially with coaches is the rear overhang, when we turn, the overhang will swing in the opposite direction to the turn. So something like a typical single deck bus has a 14 ft tail! if we're turning left that tail will swing right. The driver will be aware of this but many motorists ignore the fact and get hit by the sweep. Its a common occurence. Bendy buses have their own set of problems  and some of the big multi axle coaches have rear wheel steering so beware! Regarding trucks, the same rules apply and especially around artics. If you have to pass these things , before you get to close, take a look at his registration number, if its foreign then the chances are its also left hand drive, in which case his OFFSIDE is the biggest blind spot, give yourself plenty of room to get by and beware of any thing ahead that may cause him to swerve out. At the end of the day its all about common sense, but basically, if it doesnt look safe, then it probably isnt! keep back and wait for a better opportunity, Its better to arrive late at your destination, than LATE at the local undertakers! an believe me you dont want to become 
human roadkill! Also remember this, A truck or a bus, if damaged, can be substituted by the company fairly quickly and so continue its service, Your bike or car would, I imagine , take a considerable time longer! Hope this helps!Wink
PS.
A pic of me in an earlier life!

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 6:35pm
Totally agree!

Leyland 1 - 0 Audi

People forget that cars fold up like paper when in collision with a LGV/PSV.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 6:48pm
Leyland Olympian - wow! Nowadays it's all a mixture of Dennis Tridents and Scania Omnidekkas (at least where I live)! oh%20how%20I%20laughed
Kind regards,
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic