This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-3 Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

setting fuel mixture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: setting fuel mixture
    Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:33pm
Hi, when settting the fuel mixture levers is there a guage similar to the egt guage in the cessna or do i have to adjust simply by listening to the sound of the engine.
also on a separate note on a couple of occasions i lose all engine sound in the external view but i can still hear the engine in the vc. restarting the flight seems to solve this. has this happened to anyone else. regards
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
SpamValiant View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 2:29pm
Can't help you with the sound issues I'm afraid, I've not seen any problems like that myself.

As for controlling the mix, if you have any experience with editing panels the easiest thing is to add an EGT or a fuel flow gauge to one of the panel pop-ups. Personally, since I use the C47 for my Airhauler company, I find the fuel flow gauge most useful, so I've added this and a working ADF - actually I've removed whatever used to come up with Shift-F6 because it already worked perfectly well from the VC (maybe a throttle quadrant or electrical panel?) and replaced it with a dual engine fuel flow and endurance calculator and the aformentioned ADF. I think I got the fuelflow gauge from flightsim.com, and although it works well I did have to edit the gauge itself because  it was originally set up for jet fuel instead of avgas. (Clearly this approach is rapidly becoming pretty rubbish advice unless you're comfortable tweaking things. Sorry about that. If you're still interested I'm happy to answer any queries for a fellow DC3 jock...)

As I understand it, in the real thing the mixture controls have 4 detents so that rather than making subtle changes one simply picks from Idle/Cut-Off, Auto-Lean, Auto-Rich and Full Rich, depending on the situation. However, I find that if I try to fly like this FSX won't shut up complaining that I'm at the wrong setting, hence me making the effort to add the gauge! Now, if I could just figure out how to hack the VC CHT gauge to read properly...
UberAegis View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:55pm
Thanks for the reply, i `m not a major tweaker outside the config files but by a strange coincidence i was thinking off looking into editing panels,mainly to put a modern radio panel and autpilot for when i get radar contact.Just finding the time to get round to it. regards
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic