This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confirm please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confirm please
    Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 7:10am
The only traffic showing in Traffic X is the MS aircraft - Orbit etc..
I have downloaded SP X1 and also run the bgl utility.
The bgl utility shows nothing in the left hand white window, but, in the lower windows lists the paths to some FS2004 files I have for adding scenery objects.
The files I use are RWY12 and I notice EZscenery is there but I don't have that installed so would assume it is in some addon scenery I have downloaded.
Am I right to assume that I cannot use these 2004 files for my scenery enhancement. I use Instant Scenery.

Would someone out there confirm please.

Running Win7 quad core with plenty of memory.

Ron
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 12:28am
Just Flight's Traffic X FAQ page (here: FAQ for Traffic X) has a lot of good details and mentions that FSX is only able to support one traffic file in the old format.  However, if the BGLCheck tool is NOT showing you anything in the top left white box headed "Non-FSX format traffic database files", then you should be OK.

Despite this, I would suspect you are correct to think your issue is due to some add-on scenery you have downloaded.  Especially if those scenery files were designed for FS2004.  Sometimes, scenery files contain .BGLs which include AI traffic.  This doesn't necessarily have to be airplanes, but can also be boat traffic or road traffic etc.  These .BGLs can be a cause for Traffic X not working and displaying its AI.

However, the cause may NOT be the add-on scenery at all.  If Traffic X did not install correctly or is missing some important files, then this can also cause the issue.

If it were me, I would begin by checking to see if Traffic X is installed correctly. The easiest way to do this is to do a COMPILE of the Traffic X database. Doing that wouldn't hurt anyway. Follow the instructions in the manual and/or this thread here: How do I re-compile the traffic database? If the database compiles successfully, with no error messages or crashes, then Traffic X is installed correctly. Remember that part of the compile process is a black DOS window which opens on your screen ... wait ... until this window closes itself and the word "Finished" appears in Traffic X, indicating the compile worked (and that Traffic X is indeed installed correctly).  Now run FSX and see if the traffic appears.

If Traffic X is installed correctly as per above, but traffic is still not appearing, then I would move on to investigate if the scenery files are the cause.  If you can uninstall those, then do so and see if Traffic X springs to life.  You can always re-install them again later if you are satisfied they are not the cause.  Remember that some uninstall programs are good at removing the main files, but often still leave traces of the program on your hard-disk or in the Windows Registry.  So, after you've uninstalled the scenery, do thorough searches of your folders and the registry to make 100% certain that ALL TRACES of the program are gone.  This would include the obvious files, but also files that may be harder to find such as left over .BGLs.  The BGLCheck tool has provided you some help for you in this area ... the paths to the FS2004 files ... so that would be a good place to start searching.

At this point in the post, I would usually suggest installing the Service Pack ... but I don't need to do so in this case because you have confirmed that you have already done that.

For the record, I am running Traffic X on Windows 7 64-bit (dual core) and it works fine.  Just in case you are wondering if Windows 7 might be the problem.

If all else fails, then it might be best to go directly to Just Flight 's support team.  You can send Just Flight's support team a message by going here: Support RequestMake sure you choose the correct product (Traffic X) at the top of that Support Request page before you send your message.

Good luck!
revs View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 8:40am
Hi Freddy,

Thanks for your easily understandable reply.

I followed your instructions and as I feared it was indeed the FS2004 files which were to blame.

After deleting them from my scenery add on Traffic X ran fine.

It is such a shame that a program as good as Traffic X cannot embrace files from FS2004 as far as scenery design is concerned.

Regards Ron
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 1:44pm
Ah. I am glad you figured it out.

Remember this is not an issue with Traffic X. Rather, it is a limitation of Flight Simulator. It is FSX that does not allow the old format (FS2004 format) to mix with the new FSX format (which Traffic X uses).

You may still be able to use your FS2004 scenery if you are able to find and download a utility program which can convert the FS2004 files in to fully compatible FSX ones. I am sorry that I do not know much about such utilities ... but I am sure a little research on this would not hurt.
revs View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:01am
Point taken. I may be back if I have any questions regarding Traffic X which I am continuing to explore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic