This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ata and atis colliding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ata and atis colliding
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 10:44pm
Hi, not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem. when tuning to lyneham tower i was also tuned to middle wallop atis. i could not communicate with the tower as i kept stepping on the atis transmission.
i used google to look into this problem and it seems its something to do with traffic x. the solution was to edit the airport or adjust the scenery layers but since i am a complete newbie at editing i was hoping someone could give me some advice. regards
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 1:26am
Clashing ATIS and tower/approach/centre frequencies can and do happen in the simulator.  Thankfully these occurances are RARE.  I would not necessarily blame Traffic X solely for this.  I've read about frequency clashes on other forums from folks that don't even own Traffic X.  Even some of the default Microsoft airports have frequency clashes.

Interestingly, if you use Google and look up the real-world frequencies and ATIS signal frequencies at the airports and locations where you've noticed it occuring in the sim, you will often find (but not always) that the frequencies modelled in the sim are in fact 100% correct as per the real-world values ... and, yes, they are indeed the SAME as each other meaning you would expect they should clash in a real-world cockpit too.  As for why a clash doesn't happen in the real-world, I do not know.

The way to fix it is to use an airport modification program (AFCAD program) to modify the airport AFCAD.  The program should let you edit/change the airport's frequencies so that the clash goes away.  For example, you might want to modify the ATIS frequency at the airport from 118.90 to 118.95.  This change will show in the simulator menus, the maps, the ATC menus and the aircraft GPSs, so you don't have to try to remember it in your head.

As for you're being a complete newbie and wanting some tips on HOW to actually do it ... I'm sorry I cannot help you there ... I personally do not know as I've never done it.  In my case, I have been fortunate enough to be able to find modified AFCAD files in the file libraries of some of the popular flight simulator forums and web pages; the AFCADs I found and downloaded are fixed for frequency clashes.  Log in to your favorite Flight Simulator forum, go to their file library section, and do a search.  A Google search might also be helpful for this.  Just search for the airport ICAO letters or similar.  For example, Google searches like "fsx egdl" or "fsx egdl afcad -egll" or "fsx egdl afcad" or "fsx lyneham atis afcad" or similar may prove useful.

This web page may be helpful: "UK Military AFCADs for FSX". It does have a Lyneham AFCAD.  http://www.hermit.supanet.com/afcad.html

Of course, you could also just dive right in and get yourself an AFCAD editor and have a go at fixing it yourself.  Hopefully someone else might post a reply here and provide the tips you're looking for.  But, from what I hear, modifying AFCADs is not all that difficult.  And, you might even find yourself fixing up other little "issues" which annoy you at those airports as well.

UberAegis View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 9:43am
Hi freddy, thanks for the reply. i am thinking about installing the sdk program and then downloading and using Airport Design Editor as i believe you can adjust frequencies in this. My main worry would be making a mistake and not be able to revert back to the original afcad but i m sure if i tread carefully it ll be ok. Before that i will definitely try and see if there are any afcad files that will fix my problem. do you know where the fsx stock airport afcads are in the fsx folder by any chance. thanks again for your help, it s much appreciated
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 11:21am
ADE comes highly recommended by a lot of people.  I am not really sure, but I don't think the default stock FSX airports have specific AFCAD files.  Hence there's no file or anything for you to copy as a backup.

Therefore, what you should do, is run ADE, open Lyneham and then immediately SAVE IT (to the desktop or something) ... WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES ... this will ensure that you have a BACKUP of the original in case something goes wrong.

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:46pm
I'm going to jump into this conversation, since I've worked with ADE for around 3 years.

One thing I want to note is that, in its strictest sense, the term "AFCAD" refers to FS2002 and FS2004 scenery files created using Lee Swordy's wonderful AFCAD 1 and AFCAD 2 programs, respectively. Over time, however, the term has come to be used in a more general way to designate any file that contains a Flight Simulator airport. Hence, in the strictest sense, ADE does not produce AFCAD files even though the files produced by ADE are often called "AFCAD" files. Incidentally, in addition to being used for development of FSX airports, ADE has supplanted AFCAD for development of FS2004 airports. (The ADE manual acknowledges the brilliance of Lee Swordy in laying the groundwork upon which much of ADE is based).

As you point out, Freddy, conflicting frequencies are something that can be found at multiple locations throughout the FSX world. The same goes for other types of FSX airport problems. So I certainly encourage downloading and installing ADE to anyone who wants to be self-sufficient in fixing FSX airport problems.

Installing ADE is easy, but, first, the FSX SDK must be installed. It takes a bit of reading before beginning the process of installing the FSX SDK. A good place to start is the SDK Installation (FSX) tutorial on the FSDeveloper Community's Wiki. Note there is a link at the bottom of the tutorial to a different page that provides information on troubleshooting any problems that you might encounter during installation of the SDK.

After you get ADE up and running, you'll see that it's quite easy to open (within ADE) the file for any FSX stock airport. The screen that opens a stock airport also shows the full path to the FSX file that contains the airport, and it shows the name of the file. [See screenshot below] To open a stock FSX airport within ADE, you will simply double-click the airport's name in the left pane of the ADE AirportList screen. After modifying an airport using ADE, however, you will never put the file containing your compiled modifications* into the folder where the stock airport resides. You can either run the file by creating a subfolder within the FSX "Addon Scenery" folder and activating it within the FSX "Scenery Library," or, since you have Traffic X, you could add your modified airport file to the "Scenery" subfolder within Traffic X's "AirportFacilities" or "AirportFacilitiesX" folder. (The latter works great if the only files you are adding are a single bgl file or the airport's bgl file plus an XML file, but remember to give a backup status to any pre-existing Traffic X bgl file for the same airport). An advantage of putting your modified airport into the Traffic X AirportFacilities or AirportFacilitiesX folder is that it is not necessary to activate the airport in the FSX Scenery Library, since the modified airport file is located within Traffic X and Traffic X, itself, is already activated in the FSX Scenery Library. Whichever location you use to store your modified airport file, FSX will use the file that you created and will ignore the stock airport file that still resides, unmodified, in its original FSX folder location.

* Before running the FSX compiler from within ADE to compile your modified airport, you will save the airport into an ADE .ad2 file, which can be used for making additional modifications, later. The convention for naming ADE FSX airports has become AirportICAOCode_ADEX_YourInitials.

Dan

supera380 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supera380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 7:56am
Hi,

That's really good info from Dan on ADE. It's a great tool for sorting out these types of mismatch and the ADE forum hs some experts that can help you sort problems out.

The only thign I would add, and was a concern to you, is to how to undo the changes if needed. As Dan said one of your options is to add your new scenery file to the Scenery Add-ons folder. I would recommend this step first, since by doing this and adding this airport scenery in to the FSX scenery library, you can easily de-activate  that scenery again without deleting files and folders etc. This way you can easily turn the custom scenery you created off and back on again as many times as you want.

Then once you are satisfied the modified scenery works, then as Dan suggests you could move this into the TrafficX folder so this will automatically be loaded.

Regards
Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic