This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X Setup.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic X Setup.
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:15am
Hello.

I'm new with this kind of installs.A few hours ago I bought your Traffic X(Download Version),from simmarket.com

I have installed the product into my FSX.It did install by the book.My traffic sliders are maxed out.I put myself at KLAX and figure I would see a lot of traffic.No traffic shows up any where.I kind of thought,all I had to do was install the product and go fly,and see a lot of traffic,which is not the case at the moment.

I did read the manual.I'm wondering.Is there some kind of set up I have to do,to get all the new traffic to show up?.
I have no other traffic packs installed,other than the default traffic that comes with FSX etc.

Could someone assist me with getting your Traffic X setup so to speak.Again your Traffic X .exe installer,did install  to my FSX properly.I'm lost at this point

THX

GrayRider  
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:40am
The issue of no traffic can occur if you have previously installed another AI traffic program that uses an old style .BGL (the file which acts as a database for AI traffic movements) as FSX is only capable of supporting one of these files in the old format and it will disable any other traffic.  If you have previously used an AI program before then double-check to ensure you have uninstalled the program, and that it uninstalled correctly and completely.

Are you maybe still seeing the default FSX AI planes like World Travel and Orbit Airlines in your FSX?

Just Flight have a very good FAQ page (here: FAQ for Traffic X) which has a lot of good details about this subject as well as some quick little utility tools which you can download and use to double-check the setup.  I would suggest you go to the FAQ page and see if any of the information there provides you with the help and clues that will get you up and running ...

Also on the FAQ page is a link to the Traffic X Service Pack 1.  You should download and install this as well as it not only fixes a few niggly issues, but also makes some changes which increase the amount of AI traffic that you see in the skies.

GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 3:26pm
Thanks so far.

I have not used any AI Traffic addon programs,since I installed FSX.Your product is the first one being used. What AI traffic comes with FSX is all I see.I do have small AI traffic packs added that come with scenerys I have installed.Such as the FTX traffic addon for Australia,and some others.They are stand alones for that addon scenery etc. 

I'm assuming installing your Traffic X straight out of the box,without doing anything else I should be seeing lots of AI traffic at gates correct?.If not,what else could it be,or where and what should I be looking for and where are the things located.I think some of this will be way over my head of experience.

When I installed your product.I only went to KLAX to see what I might see.I only saw one airplane.I'm not sure if that plane was default or other.

Is there a step by step install manual for this product?.I'm not to savvy dealing with .BGL files and others,if this is required?.Hmmm.

GrayRider  
GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:59pm
I noticed in the FAQ's something about Service packs 1 & 2

Since I bought your TrafficX download product last night.Am I required to install both of them.The FAQ say's,if I installed this package after Dec.2009 service pack 1 isn't required?.

GrayRider

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:39am
I have a suspicion the FTX AI traffic file may be compiled using the old traffic format.  The fact it is a standalone package specific only for Australia doesn't matter ... FSX is only able to support one traffic file in the old format and will disable any and all other traffic.  If the FTX traffic file is using the old style traffic format then this could mean that Traffic X's traffic, worldwide, is being disabled because of the FTX file.  The BGLcheck tool on the Traffic X FAQ page might be able to confirm it for you.  Go back to the FAQ page and download the BGLcheck tool (it's in the section headed "I don't see any AI traffic at all after installing Traffic X"). Run that tool and see what it says. (Direct link to tool: Traffic X_BGLcheck).

Traffic X does include AI traffic for Australia, and so, once Traffic X is up and running for you, you will still see planes in Australia (Qantas, Virgin etc) despite uninstalling the FTX traffic.  I too have Orbx's FTX scenery, but I am not using their AI traffic because, with Traffic X running, it isn't needed.  Not to mention that even if the two did work fine together, having Traffic X traffic AND FTX traffic would mean Australia would be overloaded with traffic and it would be FAR TOO BUSY and unrealistic.

Hopefully this might be all you need to do (uninstall the FTX traffic).  Fingers crossed.  If Traffic X still doesn't work, then maybe one of the small AI traffic packs added with some of your scenerys is the cause of the problem.  Again, the BGLcheck tool mentioned above should be able to confirm this for you.

There is only one Service Pack ... Traffic X Service Pack 1.  It won't hurt anything if you do download it and install it ... it will simply install over the top of your existing install and won't need to change anything.  Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the Service Pack is already included or installed with your version because Traffic X doesn't display a version number or anything.  For that reason, personally, I would do it.  I would download it and install it - just to be sure.

As for mention of a Service Pack 2, the reference in the FAQ page is about making sure your FSX is up to date with FSX Service Pack 2. Traffic X requires you to have FSX SP1 and FSX SP2 (or Acceleration) installed for it to work correctly.  If you do not have this, then Traffic X will tell you during the install.
GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:59am
Thanks Freddy so far.

I will give the BGLcheck a go.When I start the tool program.Wht should I do when it opens up?I never used a program like this.In short how do I use that program,and what will happen,or what might I see that may be causing the problem?.Is there a reedme Doc with the BGL tool program?.

I do have the FSX Gold Boxed edition with Acceleration installed.So I won't need to install the Service Pack 2
I will install Service Pack 1.

I hope I can find the ORBX FTX Traffic Pack I installed.I'm not sure where to find it,so Ican uninstall it?.I know I can disable the ORBX FTX Traffic Pack in there FTX AI Control Panel.I wonder if this might help. 

Overall.If everything was normal.When I install Traffic X,I should not have to do anything else correct.I guess I could say.When I install Traffic X I shouldn't have to do anything else,to see traffic correct?,unless I want to modify things etc.

GrayRider 
GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm
I now have Traffic X working,so I think.One issue I am having is.I have no general aviation showing up anywhere.
I went to fifteen different fields last night.Regional airports and International.There is no general aviation showing up anywhere????.

Any ideas how to get the general aviation to show up in Traffic X??.

GrayRider
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 3:12am
I got your Private Message, but I will respond here ...

Originally posted by GrayRider GrayRider wrote:

I now have Traffic X working, so I think.

This is good news.  How do you know it is working?  Airports should be busy with planes.  At KSEA, do you see lots of jets, parked at gates, from all the different airlines like American, Alaskan, Delta, Frontier, etc?

OK, with Traffic X, you install it and then you should see traffic.  You do not need to have any Traffic X programs running in the background while you are using FSX.  This includes the Traffic Control Centre; it does not need to be running.

For the BGLcheck tool, it has two white boxes.  One on the left and one on the right.  The white box on the left is "Non-FSX format traffic database files".  The white box on the right is "Currently disabled .bgl files".  You should make sure that you do NOT have ANYTHING showing in the "Non-FSX format traffic database files" white box on the left.  If you have something in this box on the left, then Traffic X may not work.  You can use this tool to "disable" things that are in this box.  When you do this, they will move from the white box on the left, to the white box on the right.  At least, that is how I think it works ... I have not personally needed to use the tool to do this.  Note that if you "disable" things so they appear in the white box on the right, then you will not see those things appear in FSX anymore.

If you do have things in the "Non-FSX format traffic database files" white box on the left that you DO wish to keep working, then you will have to find some software on the Internet which will convert them from non-FSX format traffic files to proper FSX format traffic files.  There are a number of tools and utilities available for download which will do this.  I have not needed to do this for my setup and therefore I cannot help further with this.  In Google, "FSX convert AI traffic" or "Convert FS2004 AI to FSX" etc is the kind of thing you would type in and search for.  For more help on doing this task and what might be the most recommended software for the job, log in and ask in Flight Simulator forums such as Flightsim.com and Avsim.com.

You say you're wondering where Traffic X puts it's AI Traffic and all other files in FSX.  You asked if there was any way you can tell if everything in Traffic X went to all the proper folders in FSX? ... Traffic X installs MANY files, in lots of different locations.  This makes it hard to answer those questions.  But, if you are getting no error messages, AND you are able to run the Traffic Control Centre, then it is probably safe to assume that things installed correctly and in to the right locations.

As for your GA traffic ... if you think Traffic X is working, then you should simply see GA traffic and jets.  So, if you can see jet airliners (American, Alaskan, Delta, Frontier, etc) then you should also have GA traffic.  Considering you may still have files showing in the "Non-FSX format traffic database files" white box in the BGLcheck tool, I am guessing that things are still not quite 100% working properly with Traffic X just yet and that might explain why you cannot see any GA traffic.

At this point, if my suggestions above still don't manage to get things working properly for you, then I would suggest you enlist the help of the good folks at Just Flight Support.  They know their product better than I do, and hopefully they will be able to help far better than I can.  You can send Just Flight's support team a message by going here: Support Request. Make sure you choose the correct product (Traffic X) at the top of that Support Request page before you send your message.
GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:55pm
GrayRider View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 8:20pm
Yes.I now do have jet liners showing up.Since the product was installed by the numbers.I did remove the FTX/ORBX traffic pack.I then ran the .BGL program.I disabled everything in the left white box,that was in it.There wasn't much there to start with.I then did a reboot of my PC.I fired up the sim and put myself at KSEA,and again.No traffic anywhere.
I closed the sim down.Than I installed service pack 1.I started the sim again.This time I had jet traffic at KSEA.I changed time of day to different times,and did see more or less traffic.So I guess service pack 1 had something to do with it,but don't know what.

I still am not seeing general aviation overall anywhere.I went to KPHX in Arizona,where there is numerous GA traffic.There was none there,using different times of day etc.

I have the Traffic Control Center short cuted to my desktop.It is there when I open it.How can I do a re-compile of the traffic database.I don't know where or how to do it.For the moment I don't know how to use the functions in the traffic Control Center,and what each function does or can do. 

So at the moment.I'll have to figure out why GA traffic isn't showing up.I'm sure that will be a trip,wih my limited experience no dought.

GrayRider
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 10:34am
Do not expect to see GA planes at the big airports.  You will most likely only see jet airliners at the big airports.  Airports like KSEA and KPHX are big International airports.  Big International airports are really only likely to have jet airliners; no GA.  It is reasonably rare for the big airports to have GA.

For GA planes, go to actual GA airports and look there.  A perfect example for this would be "Grand Canyon National Park Airport" (KGCN).  Go there and see if you have GA planes.  At KGCN, the BEST time of day to see lots of GA planes is at DUSK.  Go to KGCN airport and set your Flight Simulator time to DUSK ... you should have plenty of GA planes.  I have done a screenshot below of DUSK at KGCN.  This is how it is from the default Traffic X install.

(Please note that for the screenshot below, my GA Traffic slider in FSX was set to 100%.)

As for how to recompile the traffic database, go here for instructions: How do I re-compile the traffic database?

If you want to learn and understand the buttons and functions of Traffic X, don't forget there is a MANUAL installed in your main Traffic X folder on your computer.  It is a PDF file and is simply called "Manual.pdf".

DUSK at KGCN - view from Control Tower.  (FSX GA Traffic slider set to 100%.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic