This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BA Pilot "Threw Phone out of FD window"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BA Pilot "Threw Phone out of FD window"
    Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:02pm

Thought this might make an interesting discussion, ( except i wish the Daily Mail would make their mind up, first it was the pilots mobile, then it was a unclaimed one, he then "threw" it out but further down the page it says "dropped" etc Ermm )

basically the pilot wanted a member of ground crew to go to where the aircraft was on the taxiway and collect it as the flight was already late, which sounds reasonable, but then you have to think, if its unclaimed, for all we know it could be a device to activate a bomb ( possibly? )

so what do my fellow justflight forum members think?

dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 2:28pm
If the phone was unclaimed then he should have returned to the terminal. Throwing the thing out onto the taxiway was extremely foolhardy. If it HAD been a bomb then anything could have happeened. If it was a triggering device and the planter was watching then they could have detonated it there and then. Having said that I don't see why BAA couldn't have sent out a vehicle to collect the thing from the aircraft and saved a lot of hassle for everyone. A police car is a lot quicker round an airport that a trundling airliner. Lessons to be learnt on both sides I think.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by dodgy-alan dodgy-alan wrote:

If the phone was unclaimed then he should have returned to the terminal. Throwing the thing out onto the taxiway was extremely foolhardy. If it HAD been a bomb then anything could have happeened. If it was a triggering device and the planter was watching then they could have detonated it there and then. Having said that I don't see why BAA couldn't have sent out a vehicle to collect the thing from the aircraft and saved a lot of hassle for everyone. A police car is a lot quicker round an airport that a trundling airliner. Lessons to be learnt on both sides I think.

i agree with you to the point that the phone should be taken off the aircraft,( some people were posting comments on the DM website that the aircraft should've just taken off and have the phone handed in at Gatwick, how silly. thats a complete NONO!!) but i do think it would've been alot easier just for someone to go to the aircraft, as you said a car would be much quicker, and i don't think Edinburgh is that busy in the evening to cause a major disruption to the flow of traffic. i could understand if it was somewhere like Gatwick, then of course the aircraft should return to the terminal.
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 3:12pm

That phone would also be considered a FOD, Foreign Object Damage, item.  The engines could pull it into the intake and damage the engine.

Greg
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 9:20pm
I think there is some aspect to the story we are not being told.

I know crews get hacked off with ground staff making small things a lot harder to do. Being an airline pilot is one of the most stressful jobs you can have without having people making your life harder. That could be the reason he threw it out of the window.

Quote She added that there was no requirement on safety grounds to get unclaimed phones off aircraft.

Something else was going on... He was probably interviewed by police for endangering the safety of an aircraft for example (FOD, anyone??). Phone + Jet Engine = very expensive repair bill. It is something that happens though (throwing stuff out the window) to crew below after closing the doors/start/even taxi.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 11:09pm
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 11:16pm
??????????
Greg
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 2:56pm
How is that relevant, Odai?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:35pm
Did you read it Vulcan? (probably not as usual).

That thread is from a pax on that actual flight. So it's 1000% relevant.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:07pm

Indeed.

There is also a link to the BBC in there (towards the bottom), which is probably more reliable than the Daily Fail. Wink

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 5:09pm
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Here you go:

i did see that but i didn't post the link as the piece on the BBC website seemed very vague compared to the Daily "Fail"! Big%20smile

on the same note though whatever i read in any newspaper about Aviation i take with a pinch of salt. Sure there will be a small piece in next months Airliner World, and at least it will have proper details about what happened and actually stick to the same story instead of changing every few sentences!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic