This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-3 Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DC-3 autopilot pitch control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjpart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC-3 autopilot pitch control
    Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 8:56am
Before I go to Tech Support, I'll check with the forum to see if anybody can advise. I am having problems controlling the JF DC-3 autopilot for elevator pitch control. With the autopilot switched on, the elevator knob is almost unresponsive to inputs. The tooltip shows the current elevator trim setting (usually around .3% up) but the knob does not accept adjustment to vary the pitch. I can get the autopilot to pitch up or down with an excessive input of trim which quickly damps out. The only way to keep the aircraft on a level seems to be disconnecting autopilot frequently, retrimming and resetting the autopilot. Am I missing something in adjusting the autopilot? The manual says very little about it.
NoahWhtly View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahWhtly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 7:35pm
Yeah, I've also noticed this.

The problem is that the elevator knob in the VC is not the pitch reference for the autopilot. It is a trim adjustment. When the autopilot is on it takes control of the trim, so if you adjust it, the autopilot turns it right back to where it was.

There are two work arounds I've found. The pitch reference knob in the 2d cockpit does work correctly. Also, you can assign keys to the pitch reference (up and down) in the controls under autopilot and control it that way.

Not exactly sure why a pitch reference knob was left off the VC (at least I can't seem to find one). Hopefully we'll get another patch some time to correct this.
rjpart View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjpart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:31am
Thanks, Noah, I have been using the 2D autopilot successfully. I have sent Tech Support a list of other items to look into also:
No flap indicator in the VC;
No avionics master switch;
The fire panel cover can be opened, but it disappears and thereafter cannot be closed, which should be done when starting engines;
The landing gear indicator lights don't seem to work;
When loading the aircraft on an airfield (I usually start with a default aircraft then load the DC-3), there is a horrible crunching sound - probably the tailwheel slamming down due to the aircraft contact points not being correctly set;
The engine controls, throttle, pitch and mixture levers, tremble all the time - I have tried changing sensitivities and null zones to no effect.
I also hinted that an Australian livery might be nice.

kiosutra View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiosutra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 6:49pm
Wish they would fix this. I am a big user of the VC. I get annoyed having to use the STOCK 2D panel to get things like the beacon light and autopilot to work.

Although Im am glad that there is a focus on updates, but surprised that there doesn't appear to be a decent quality control standard throughout the product line that JF offers.
SpamValiant View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpamValiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 3:02pm
Do we have fixes yet for the cylinder temp gauges and fuel gauge in the vc? Or is this all stuff to be addressed in a hypothetical patch?

Also, I'd like them to use a different texture map for the reinforcing rings in the C47 windows (blatantly silly to copy a great chunk of fuselage onto the ring) and to get rid of the external textures that appear on the port side of the inner fuselage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic