This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Voice Pack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Voice Pack
    Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:27am
Good Morning Pilots

I'm not strictly in the right forum here, but I hope you won't mind as I have just asked this question in the "Traffic 2005" forum and then realized they haven't had any forum traffic in a month. So working on the logic that many of you will have "been there and done that", having upgraded from that version. I'm going to paste it here as well, in the hopes of it being more likely to be seen and answered.

Thanks all
Badger

"Please forgive me if I'm missing the obvious here, (I am not very technical at all) but I can't see how to select a British accent for my pilot in "FSX".

I have the "FSX" compatible version of "Traffic 2005" and I have found the tools section on the start menu, which apparently gives you the option to select the "FSX" pack, the "Traffic" pack, or both together. But wherever I put my tick, the result is still the same. The choices of pilot voice in "FSX" are still limited to "Male Pilot zero", "Male pilot one" etc etc male and female up to about ...I think it's nine, but nothing else.

Is this aspect of the program perhaps not "FSX" compatible?

Many thanks for any help"

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:01am
Are you running Windows Vista/Windows 7? If so, the Traffic tools (such as the voice pack editor) will not function correctly unless run in administrator mode.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Badger View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:36am
Hi Martyn

Nope, just plain old Win XP.  Smile

By the sounds of it then, the voice pack in there should be compatible with "FSX"?

Badger
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 1:54pm
Try this ...

1)  Check your "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Sound\ATC" folder to see if the four Traffic 2005 voice files (the GE, UK1, UK2 and US .gvp files) are in there* (see Subnote below).  If they are not, then copy the four files in to that folder.

2)  Now run FSX (if it is already running, then close it and re-run it).

3)  You should now see these pilots listed in the relevant FSX menu.

However, please note the following ... I am using Traffic X, but kept the files for the pilot voices from Traffic 2005 (kept the .gvp files).  I have put those in to my "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Sound\ATC" folder as per the above.  Unfortunately though, despite being able to see and select these voices in FSX, they do not work for me.  I have no idea about .gvp files or how they work and therefore I dismiss these files as perhaps not being compatible with FSX. I really don't know.

Martyn, if you're reading, it's back to you for comment if you can shed any further light on the subject.

--------------------------------

*Subnote:

My four files are named "Traffic2005VoicesGE.gvp", "Traffic2005VoicesUK1.gvp", "Traffic2005VoicesUK2.gvp" and "Traffic2005VoicesUS.gvp".  I cannot remember if those are the original Traffic X names ... or whether I renamed them to those when I saved them so that I would know what they were and where they were from.  If they are renamed files, then perhaps that is why they do not work for me?  Although, having said that, I would imagine FSX doesn't care about the specific filenames, but rather only cares about the "contents" of the files (meaning they should work regardless of filename).  Again, I really don't know.
Badger View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:11pm
Hi Freddy

I don't see those files in that folder. In there I see;
USEnglishBig.gvp
Traffic.flag
And a folder, "ASOS" which has in it;
USEnglishASOS.gvp.

Where do I copy those files from? I looked on the "Traffic 2005" disk, but couldn't see where they were. Sadly as mentioned above I'm really not very technical, so it's quite possible I'm staring right at them! oh how I laughed

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Badger

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Badger Badger wrote:

I don't see those files in that folder. In there I see; USEnglishBig.gvp, Traffic.flag, and a folder, "ASOS" which has USEnglishASOS.gvp in it.

Where do I copy those files from? I looked on the "Traffic 2005" disk, but couldn't see where they were. Sadly as mentioned above I'm really not very technical, so it's quite possible I'm staring right at them! oh%20how%20I%20laughed 

My FSX ATC folder also has the "USEnglishBig.gvp" file and the ASOS folder with "USEnglishASOS.gvp" in it.  They are FSX's files.  So what you are seeing in your folder is correct for FSX.  (I don't have the "Traffic.flag" file in my ATC folder, but for you that would probably be a file from something else you have installed or have running - so that's fine; just leave that there as it is.)

Where do you copy the files from?  Sadly, I do not know the answer to that because I no longer have Traffic 2005 installed so I cannot do a search to find them for you.  However, considering you do have Traffic 2005 installed, then I'd guess that if you do a simple file search, you will find them ...

... For Windows XP, usually it is a matter of clicking on the Windows START menu and then choosing the "Search" icon (looks like a magnifying glass) from the list of programs and items which appear in the menu.  That is the usual way, but it could be different on your machine depending on how it is set up and configured.  Anyway, once you're in the Search window, you want to search for "All Files and Folders", and in the "All or part of the filename" box, you want to type in *.gvp (note the asterix before the dot).  Make sure that you also change the "Look In" box so that it says "Local Hard Drives" or "My Computer" (either of those choices will do).  You may also want to set some of the "More advanced options", and tick the boxes which say "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders" (just for good measure).  Hit the SEARCH button and let it do its thing.

Hopefully this will lead you to the files.  It will also lead you to the "USEnglishBig.gvp" and the "USEnglishASOS.gvp" files, but you can ignore those because they are already in the ATC folder and correct for FSX, so you don't need to do anything with those.  The search may potentially also lead you to other .gvp files used by other games or programs.  So be aware of that.  Doublecheck the filenames and the folders they are in for the files that it finds to determine if they belong to Traffic 2005 or not.  It should be obvious enough.  For the Traffic 2005 files that it finds, you can COPY them (do not MOVE them, COPY them) in to the FSX ATC folder as per the earlier post.

(If you read the "Subnote" in my earlier post, you will see that the filenames I have for them are "Traffic2005VoicesGE.gvp", "Traffic2005VoicesUK1.gvp", "Traffic2005VoicesUK2.gvp" and "Traffic2005VoicesUS.gvp" ... but I am not sure if those are correct because I cannot recall if those are the original names or whether I renamed the files to those names when I backed them up and saved them.)
Badger View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:14am
Top Man Freddy, you were spot on.

The search function found the files easily and then copying them into the "FSX" ATC folder brought them up as selectable i the settings menu. Big%20smile

I was tempted to use Wolfgang the German, but he sounded to me a little like the terrorists in "Die hard". So I've ended up choosing Martin. Although that said... as this is after all an American game, if this were a movie, then as a Brit Martin would probably be the villain anyway! oh how I laughed

"Yippee-ki-yay tower, I'm taking off whether you like it or not!"

You haven't renamed those files by the way Freddy, the names as they appear are as you described.

Thanks again for your help.
Badger

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 1:18am
Ahhh.  Excellent.  Good stuff.

Cool, I haven't renamed the files.  Thanks for confirming that for me.

So it works for you in your FSX ... but, sadly, those files don't seem to work for me in my FSX.  Interesting.  You're using XP and I'm using Win7 64-bit.  Perhaps that has something to do with it.  I'm also using the third-party "EditVoicepack" program on my system for adding/editing ATC calls.  So that too could be the cause.  Oh well, I'm not all that bothered by it.  It's no big deal.  I'm happy with the FSX default voices; they're fine for me.

I'm glad you've got it sorted.  Enjoy.  Smile

And ... "Yippee-ki-yay!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic