This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking at Melbourne?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking at Melbourne?
    Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:58am
Hi all fellow simmers, I have noticed at Melbourne YMML that the international flights park between the Virgin terminal and the cargo ramps at Melbourne and at the other end between the Qantas terminal and the general avaition terminal is there a way to make them park at the international terminal at the moment only Singapore Airlines parks there with a couple of Qantas link jets, is there away of changing this?
PS loving the traffic X now.Smile 
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:12am
Darren,

Traffic X does include a lot of changes to a lot of airports, worldwide.  These changes improved the airports by adding extra parking spots, grouping parking spots (so the planes all park [generally] in the same airline group, setting the correct terminals for airlines where possible, adding military parking spots, etc etc etc).  You can imagine how many airports there are in the FSX world, so I doubt Just Flight would have done all of them.  Suffice to say, apart from the airports with noticable errors, I have noticed many many good and better changes at many airports.  So, all things considered, they've done a pretty damn good job.

As for YMML ... and the other airports in Australia and indeed the world ... the changes are a vast improvement over Traffic 2005 and indeed definately over FSX's defaults.  But, it is not all perfect.

The problem is not so much with the airport(s) ... but with the settings for the PLANES.  In FSX planes park based on the settings they have in their respective AIRCRAFT.CFG files. One of the settings in this file which affects where planes park is the WINGSPAN value. For the larger aircraft included in Traffic X, the default wingspan value is not always correct in the aircraft.cfg file, being smaller than it really should be. This is done to allow for the larger planes to be able to park at some of the smaller airports. However, it does have a downside in that sometimes the larger planes can end up parking in the WRONG spots at the larger major airports and can sometimes end up parking in spaces where they shouldn't be. Worse, in some cases, it results in the plane not being able to park at all and therefore not even appearing at the airport.  Getting back to your specific question, it can mean that international flights might park at the wrong terminal or even in cargo spots.

THANKFULLY, there is a FIX available for this ... and it is an EASY fix ...

... Go to the Traffic X web page (http://www.justflight.com/trafficX-home.asp) and then to the File Downloads link (specifically http://www.justflight.com/trafficX-downloads.asp). Click on the OTHER FILES category and then download the WING WIDTHS FIX done by Jon Murchison. This corrects this behaviour.  (I notice there are TWO wing width fix files, but I think they are both the same.)  I have used this download with Traffic X since Jon made it available and my airports have come alive far more better than they were with the default Traffic X installation. Planes which once never appeared at my airports, are now landing and parking at them. Airports have really come to life with international traffic more so than they already were and everything is far more realistic with this fix than it was with the default Traffic X install. And, even better, things still appear to work even at the smaller airports. Thanks Jon!  (Here's a direct link to the file in case you can't find it: Jon's wing fix file.)  This may not specifically fix the exact issue up that you described at YMML, but at least the international planes at YMML will not park at the wrong gates or in cargo areas.

You can try it and see.  Remember to take BACKUPS first, so if you don't like the changes made with Jon's file, then you can revert it back again.

Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 7:43am
Thanks Freddy yeah I agree with you FSX and Traffix is a 100 times improvement over 2005 I was at Brisbane the other night and it was busy and it was great to see the international terminal full up with the international flights, so yeah it is a great inprovement indeed.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 7:44am

Where do the international flights at YMML park on your Simulator?

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:43am

Using Jon Murchison's WING WIDTHS FIX, my YMML looks something like this:

Some Notes:

I am using the default YMML airport that comes with FSX/Traffic X.  I have not upgraded or installed a different YMML, nor made any changes to YMML using any third party programs.

I have NO "Impulse Airlines" flights (I removed them using Traffic Control Centre).

Qantas DOMESTIC (Dash-8, 737, etc) parks in positions marked with a "3".  Qantas INTERNATIONAL (747, A380, A330, etc) parks in spots marked with a "1".  This is due to the wingspan values applied via Jon Murchison's WING WIDTHS FIX.

I do have "Strategic Airlines" and also "V-Australia" (soon to be repainted as "Virgin Australia").  Large Strategic Airlines planes (A330) and the V-Australia planes (777-300ER) park in positions marked with a "1".  Again, this is due to the wingspan values applied via Jon Murchison's WING WIDTHS FIX.  Considering these planes fly to overseas destinations (ie, they are International), then this is perfect.

Smaller Strategic Airlines planes (A320) are like Tiger and Jetstar; parking in positions marked with a "5" (or "4" if there are no free spots available at "5").
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 4:49am
Thanks Freddy looks good I will have a look at that web site. My problem now is I get an application fail to intialize properly when I go to the control centre so I cant use traffic at all I have just had a new hard drive put in the FSX gos' alright but I cant get traffic now so I will ahve to play around a bit more till i get that going have you ever had that problem?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Thanks Freddy looks good I will have a look at that web site. My problem now is I get an application fail to intialize properly when I go to the control centre so I cant use traffic at all I have just had a new hard drive put in the FSX gos' alright but I cant get traffic now so I will ahve to play around a bit more till i get that going have you ever had that problem?

Go to the Just Flight Traffic X FAQ screen (here: http://www.justflight.com/trafficX-home.asp), go the FAQS AND SUPPORT section, click on the "I get an error when loading the Traffic Control Centre / parts of the Traffic Control Centre do not function" link and follow the instructions to download and install the associated file. See if that fixes it for you.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:06am
Hi Freddy hey got my FSX back and Traffic X is working good now and I am enjoying it very much thanks for all your help mate I am loving it. My mate helped me get traffic X going the other night seems like a file was not reading right and that stopped me using Traffic but all is good now it took him a quick 2 minute fix and bang! it was up and going again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic