This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

none of my settings stay the same

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: none of my settings stay the same
    Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 3:17pm

Hi everyone I am just about ready to give up on FX and Traffic X after uninstaling FX and TrafficX that many times, now that Its back in and loaded up the problems I am having now is if you set the grapics and the resolution and customise all the settings they dont stay the same even when you click ok, also I dont see any traffic flying and when I set the traffic like around 90 per cent there is only a couple of aircraft at an airport. I started out at my home airport of Melbourne I only saw like 4 aircraft there. Traffic X says that the AI aircraft are replaced with the airliners that you collect from the hanger but I dont see full airports and no aircraft flying at all. What the hell am I doing wrong cause I am thinking of dumping it all and going back to FS9 and traffic 2005 cause that was much much user friendly than FX and Traffic X so please someone help me before i tell Justflight where they can shove their FX and Traffic X. It is getting realy frustrating help me please? Confused

Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 3:40pm
Angry Set all the settings to how I wanted them, not enough airlines at Melb or Perth and still the fake airlines that come with FSX then the setting go change back where the aircraft is to big for the screen I give up.Confused
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 4:18pm
What operating system do you have.  If it's Vista or Win 7 you will probably have to run everything as the administrator.
Greg
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:21am
I concur with Papeg.  On Vista or Windows 7, make sure you always run FSX using the "Run as Administrator" option by right-clicking on the EXE or the shortcut icon and choosing that option from the sub-menu.

Both Vista and Windows 7 "lock down" some of the folders in the Operating System. "C:\Program Files\..." is one of those folders and also happens to be the default install folder for FSX and therefore also for Traffic X.  Because the Program Files folder is "locked down" by the Operating System, it may be preventing the changes to your settings from being saved.  If you use the "Run as Administrator" option, it will tell Windows that you are happy to allow changes to be made in that folder and it should then allow your choices and settings to be saved.

Now, as for not seeing much traffic at your airports ... you should probably reinstall Traffic X again (yes, again), but this time run it using the "Run as Administrator" option.  And, once it is installed, remember to always run the Traffic X programs using the "Run as Administrator" option.

If, after a reinstall, you STILL continue to have problems seeing planes etc, then maybe the problem is actually with your Traffic X installer.  To find out for sure ... see this thread here and scroll down to the screenshots that it shows: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12149&PID=98460.  Use the screenshots to double check that your installation is correct.  Check that you do have all of the files and folders shown in the screenshots.  If you don't, then you should contact Just Flight Support.  They will be able to help.  You can send Just Flight a message by going here: Support RequestMake sure you choose the correct product (Traffic X) at the top of that Support Request page before you send your message.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:57am
Hi Guys I am running Windows XP and I am starting to get that messege that in the end they say sorry for the inconveinance. I will uninstal and try it as you said thanks.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 12:27pm
I reinstalled again no traffic at all. Some times when I load the plane that I want to fly the right size comes up on the screen and then when I load up a 747 that I want to fly the resolution changes and the jet is far to big for the screen. I have had it um I am going to go back to FS9 and traffic 2005 and Microsoft can shove its FSX and Traffic X I was so looking forward to using it and from what I have seen its great but its not working for me no matter what I do so it can go to hell. Thanks Fredy for you advice take care my friend.CryAngry
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 11:07pm
No problem.  I am glad to (try to) help.  It is a pity that you could not get it working.  FSX is really a great step up from FS9.  And, similarly, Traffic X offers so many more planes and airlines than Traffic 2005 did.

I could understand if you were having issues with Vista or Windows 7, but you shouldn't have problems with XP ... after all, that was the Operating System that FSX was written for.  If your 747 resolution is changing and things like that, then it sounds like the issues are probably with FSX and/or maybe something to do with your graphics card settings or drivers.  But if FS9 works, then that seems to suggest the graphics card and drivers are fine.  I don't know.  Short of suggesting you make sure you have the latest DirectX 9 installed, I would be unable to offer any other ideas.  Perhaps you have another tech-savvy friend who could come over for a visit and may be able to help.  As I said, it is a pity that you cannot get it working.  You really are missing out on all the changes, advancements and fun.

I did have one final thought about your lack of traffic with Traffic X ... after you installed Traffic X, did you immediately download and install the Traffic X Service Pack 1?  Lack of traffic with Traffic X was a common issue reported by many users and the issue was fixed once they put on the Traffic X Service Pack 1.  However, considering the issue you described about the 747 resolution etc, I think you would need to solve that first.  The Traffic X Service Pack 1 may be the solution to your lack of Traffic with Traffic X, but it won't do anything to addess the issue of the resolution changing like you described.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 4:29am

Hi Freddy yeah I down loaded both service pack1 and 2, I am going to load back in FS2004 and traffic 2005 that will keep me flying and try to figure out FSX and Traffic X because you are right my friend from what I ahve seen traffic X and FSX does look fun I will keep in touch and let you know how I get a long. Smile

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:35am
Roger that.

Be aware I am not talking about FSX Service Pack 1 and FSX Service Pack 2 in my post above.  I am talking about the TRAFFIC X Service Pack.  Yes, obviously, you should still put on both FSX Service Packs, but you should ALSO download and install the TRAFFIC X Service Pack as well.  The Traffic X Service Pack may fix the lack of Traffic X traffic that you were describing.

Click here for Traffic X Service Pack 1 Release Notes.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 4:32am
Hi fredy thanks for that I will download that tonight and see how it goes, I did a test flight last night using a virgin 738 from Melb to Mildura started to see other Qantas and Virgin and a Singapore Airlines in but still a lot of the fake airlines that comes from FSX and the resolution managed to stay the same through out the flight, I loved seeing the vortex comming of the wings I will keep trying I know I did down load Traffic service pack 1 & 2 but I will load in the ones that you have given the link to and let you know how I went

Cheers Darren
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 4:35am
hey Freddy one question I wanted to ask you was did you find that when you after you ahve set your flight up and so forth did you find that the aircraft that were at the terminals started of all grey untill their colours swithched on a few minutes after, and say you are in the cockpit and you change to an outside view of the aircraft its all grey untill the colours swithched on ?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Hi fredy thanks for that I will download that tonight and see how it goes, I did a test flight last night using a virgin 738 from Melb to Mildura started to see other Qantas and Virgin and a Singapore Airlines in but still a lot of the fake airlines that comes from FSX and the resolution managed to stay the same through out the flight, I loved seeing the vortex comming of the wings I will keep trying I know I did down load Traffic service pack 1 & 2 but I will load in the ones that you have given the link to and let you know how I went.

The Traffic X Service Pack should definately improve the number of planes that you see on the ground and in the air.  If you are seeing Qantas, Virgin and Singapore, then they will be coming from the Traffic X install.  You should NOT still see the fake FSX airlines though.  They should have been "removed" when Traffic X was installed.  Traffic X does this during the install process by RENAMING the file which shows the fake FSX airlines ...

... When Traffic X is installed, it should automatically rename the default FSX traffic file with the fake airlines.  Check in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder to see if it has done that.  If you see a file "TrafficAircraft._bgl" (note the underscore character ._bgl), then, yes, this is the correctly renamed default FSX traffic file.  If instead you see "TrafficAircraft.bgl" (no underscore character), then it has NOT renamed the default FSX traffic file.  Feel free to rename this file yourself if Traffic X has not done this.  You should also see a file called "TrafficX.bgl".  That file is the Traffic X file.  Leave that one alone.

Also, if you haven't done so already, use this thread here to check if your Traffic X is installed completely and correctly: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12149&PID=98460.  Scroll down to the screenshots in that post and double check that you DO have all of the folders and files that it shows.

Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

hey Freddy one question I wanted to ask you was did you find that when you after you ahve set your flight up and so forth did you find that the aircraft that were at the terminals started of all grey untill their colours swithched on a few minutes after, and say you are in the cockpit and you change to an outside view of the aircraft its all grey untill the colours swithched on ?

I have a pretty fast PC and a fairly high-end graphics card.  This allows FSX to load its graphics quite quickly.  When FSX loads up, the planes at the terminals do start off blank and then get their textures and graphics loaded on to them.  On a good, fast PC, this happens very quickly ... and, in most cases, you do not even notice it happens.  In other cases, like if FSX has to also load some complicated scenery, then, yes, you can notice it.  But it still should be reasonably fast.  To give you an idea, on my PC, I do not have to wait, say, any more than 1 or 2 seconds before all of my planes are coloured and painted.  Done.  But, most of the time, it loads the graphics so fast, that I don't notice.  You certainly should not be waiting "minutes"!

If you are waiting a long time for the graphics to load on to the planes, then, this could be a sign that you are probably pushing your FSX graphics settings a little too hard.  You probably have your settings up too high.  Go in to the FSX settings screens and reduce some of your graphics settings so they are a bit lower.  Specifically, you should lower the Autogen slider one, maybe even two, notches and then also reduce other graphics related sliders in a similar fashion until you find the best settings which work best for you and your PC.  You may also consider turning off shadows.  I would recommend you turn off Light Bloom.  You will have to find the settings which give you the best compromise between good looking, smooth pictures and also good loading times.  Remember also to set your ferrys and road vehicles sliders down fairly low because these too can tax a system pretty hard.  Put simply, don't try to have everything wound up too high or full.  Adjust some settings down until you are happy, your PC is happy, and the sim is happy too.

Note: Once you get things worked out, and Traffic X is working and displaying lots of traffic, you will want to turn down the amount of AI traffic to around 60% (or even less) for Jetliners and also choose a setting for General Aviation (GA) that you are happy with.  This may not make sense considering you have installed Traffic X and of course want to see lots of traffic ... but trust me when I say too much AI traffic will bring most good systems to their knees.  So, again, find the right setting which works best for you.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 4:26am
Thanks for that I will check all that you said. Last night I thought I would take a look at KLAX both times the game froze on me couldnt get any buildings of the airport and I had to reboot my PC twice its seemsd like it cant handle LAX and how big that airport is compared with Melbourne.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic