This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Trains > JT General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backing up own routes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backing up own routes
    Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 5:38pm
I am slaving away at creating scenarios and thought that I should back up these files at some point in case I ever need to re-install the game.

Problem is, I can't find a file to back up in the RS directory.  The only one that comes close is one called "routes" (XML Document) in the "Content" folder.  Is this the one?  Do I back up "PlayerProfiles"  (BIN File) as well?

Thanks,

Mak

reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 6:34pm
What I did was download the package manager from the download section of Rail Sim Forum

http://www.railsimulator.com/

Then use this to package the route.  I placed this in one Rail Sim Folder with everything else that is related to my setup, even the official installs such as Rail Sim itself and emails about the product purchase, extra wagons, the updated containers, add on routes etc.   Ok, the package I make has to be replaced in this folder as I make changes but it saves looking for individual bin files and making errors.  I then place this folder on an external HD (Master Copy) and maybe a copy in the computer HD too (Working Copy).  Takes minutes to update both, now that I speeded Vista up.

Reider
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:28am

Hi Reider,

I had a sneaking feeling that is the way it works.  I already have the software and, like you, a master folder for everything.

I assume once all my content is packaged it will also be ready for uploading and sharing with the community?

Thanks again for all your help!

Time to read the packaging manual!

Cheers,

Mak
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:32am
A much simpler way to simply "make a backup of all the routes" is to make a copy of the "Content" folder and everything in it. This is a step recommended by RSDL for using their developer tools anyway, as it allows you to quickly restore the routes if you mess them up whilst editing.
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:38am
Hi SimUK,

That is handy! Big%20smile

If things go pear-shaped, do I then just copy and paste the Content Folder after re-installing RS?

Thanks, Mate!

Mak
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:41am

If you just mess up the default routes, then you just paste the backup folder in to place of the original (delete the original and copy the new one in, rather than copying a folder over a broken one)

If there's something that goes wrong with RS itself then yes you could re-install RS and then copy the route folder back in, but obviously the default routes would already be "ok" as you'd have just re-installed those, so you'd only really benefit from doing that with your own routes.
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 10:18am
Hi,

So, basically, the important data I should save appears in the "Routes" XML doc?  What about the Player Profiles Bin file?  

Being pedantic as I tend to be I will save the Content folder but it is nice to know how each file in the folder relates to the game.

Your support is brilliant - thanks for your help and very quick responses...

Mak
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 11:17am
Originally posted by makatini makatini wrote:

Hi Reider,

I had a sneaking feeling that is the way it works.  I already have the software and, like you, a master folder for everything.

I assume once all my content is packaged it will also be ready for uploading and sharing with the community?

Thanks again for all your help!

Time to read the packaging manual!

Cheers,

Mak

Thats about the size of it.  I often think some of the released packages should include a text file detailing any extra engines/freight etc used.  Because if the user tries to run the package and any are missing it posts an error and refuses to run.  Downloading and installing the extras fixes this.  The only problem left would be track errors and that sort of thing.  Just a thought.....

Reider
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 12:30pm
Yes, we had a lot of problems with "dependancies" on the other sim I was involved in.  It can be terribly frustrating if the packager does not do this properly.  All that ends up happening is that their content does not get used!

Reider, I also want to thank you for posting regularly about content that is available on the net.  I snooped around last night looking at the various sites and downloads that you have recommended and I am now sitting with shed's full of content!  Brilliant.

There are some great sources for content out there...  Big%20smile

Cheers, mate!

Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic