This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airports are filled with FSX planes...!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airports are filled with FSX planes...!
    Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 12:18pm
Hi, I wonder why my airports are mostly filled with the planes/airliners that came with the game instead with real airliners that are created with TrafficX? Can somebody help me clear this bug on my game please? Thank you.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 11:08pm
When Traffic X is installed, it should automatically rename the default FSX traffic file.  Check in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder to see if it has done that.  If you see a file "TrafficAircraft._bgl" (note the underscore character ._bgl), then, yes, this is the renamed default FSX traffic file.  If instead you see "TrafficAircraft.bgl" (no underscore character), then it has NOT renamed the default FSX traffic file.

For Traffic X to show its own AI traffic, then you should see a file called "TrafficX.bgl" in that same folder.
artifact View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by freddy freddy wrote:

When Traffic X is installed, it should automatically rename the default FSX traffic file.  Check in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery" folder to see if it has done that.  If you see a file "TrafficAircraft._bgl" (note the underscore character ._bgl), then, yes, this is the renamed default FSX traffic file.  If instead you see "TrafficAircraft.bgl" (no underscore character), then it has NOT renamed the default FSX traffic file.

For Traffic X to show its own AI traffic, then you should see a file called "TrafficX.bgl" in that same folder.

Thanks Freddy, I see them both! Should I delete the one without the underscore? Thanks A.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:38am

No, do not delete anything.

The file without the underscore ("TrafficX.bgl") is the AI file being used by the Traffic X program.  Do not delete it.

The file with the underscore ("TrafficAircraft._bgl") is the default Flight Simulator file which the Traffic X installation program automatically renamed.  Do not delete this file either.  The Traffic X installation program put the underscore in to the filename.  With the underscore in the filename, Flight Simulator should not be using this file to show planes.  (But the file has been kept for you in case you do want to use it again some day.)

Run a quick EXPERIMENT ...

MOVE the "TrafficAircraft._bgl" file OUT OF THAT FOLDER and put it on to the desktop.  Do not delete it ... just move it.  Now run Flight Simulator.  What do you see?  You should definately NOT see any of the default Flight Simulator airplanes.  You should only see the real airliners that are created with Traffic X.  Now move the file back from the desktop in to the folder again.  Run Flight Simulator again.  What do you see now?  Did anything change?  You should still only see the real airliners that are created with Traffic X.
sircaptgordo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircaptgordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:46pm
along these lines ............

under Traffic Movements in the TrafficX control panel i did a Compile Traffic X Flight Plans and saved it under the "TrafficAircraft_bgl" ........ did i hurt anything. It was 4am and i was trying anything.

before, my problem was I see lots of planes on the ground. But not many in the air after an hour of flying or more (AH). You can fly over a large airport, there are a lot of planes just sitting still.

when you first start on a large airport a bunch take off and land and then it's over. when i fly i may see a couple more than i seen before i installed Traffic X. But with FS9 and Traffic, i had planes on top of planes in the air?

mainly, have i messed up the TrafficAircraft_bgl file.

by what i read in your post maybe i can uninstall TrafficX and re-install and restore that file?

thanks for your help
g
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:36pm
Oops.  By saving your compile as "TrafficAircraft_bgl", you will have overwritten the backup of FSX's original AI traffic file.  That file had Orbit, World Travel, etc in it.  Whilst it won't hurt anything right now ... it may be a problem if you uninstall Traffic X.

If you uninstall Traffic X, the uninstall process will remove the "TrafficX.bgl" file and will then rename that "TrafficAircraft_bgl" file to set it back as the default FSX AI file.  However, the file no longer has Orbit, World Travel, etc in it.  Instead, it now has your Traffic X flight plans in it.  And, because you will have uninstalled Traffic X, the planes for those flight plans will no longer be on your hard-drive ... I have no idea what the result of all that might be.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircaptgordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:53pm
after i did that and went to my base I had planes sitting everywhere at a small base KCLS.

i have since un-installed Traffic and re-installed and all the aircraft left except a couple of Mooney's that were not there before installing Traffic X. But once i get it installed, i won't be taking it out.

can you send me a fresh TrafficAircraft_bgl file that i can replace mine with? I see you help a lot of people here.

Or if do that again and load it up with flight plans will i see more planes in the air. That's what i am after that i'm not seeing like i did in FS9 and Traffic. Heck, now i'm seeing less than i did before i in-stalled TrafficX ........ ha.

i just got all of it as i just upgraded to a quad that would run FSX for the most part. So i can do a new install of three programs.

also, where do you "save" the file when you do the "Compile TrafficX flight plans" I've read the manual, some parts twice. I did the Traffic Generator and went to Dense and then i did the Compile TrafficX and saved it in "TrafficX.bgl file. ....... right/wrong?

thanks
g
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircaptgordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:41am
after reading your post and the file was messed-up sorta. i generated a dense traffic plan and loaded it in both the trafficX and the TA_bgl file. it works pretty good, not perfect, but the most planes in the air i've seen yet. and a lot of small planes from small airports.

i was flying over the mountains in washington at 7500 and here comes two boeing airliners the same color with one running in the wing man spot. about 6500 around 1000 over the ground @ a high rate of speed. first time i ever saw that in 10 years

i was taking off at a large airport and a gas truck came across the runway and it got broadsided.

thanks for everyone's help
g
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:45pm
Send me a Private Message (PM) and provide me with your email address in the PM (don't write it here in the forum) ... I'll email you the default FSX "TrafficAircraft_bgl" file.

I too have seen two airliners flying wingman with each other ... but only saw this ONCE ... so it should be a RARE occurence.  However, if you do happen to see this a lot (and not just with airliners) then it could be that you have managed to get duplicated flight plans in the mix of things - probably due to the install and uninstall, and then something might have also happened with the Dense traffic generation to compound the issue, etc.  If that does turn out to be the case (you notice that you do have duplicated flight plans), then it can be fixed by doing another uninstall and then MANUALLY checking that the TrafficX.bgl file was in fact removed as part of the uninstall process.  Followed, of course, by a reinstall.  For the record, I have done many compiles with the Traffic Generator, so that does indeed work fine, but I have also noticed one or two things which can happen to cause duplicated flight plans.  They're usually things that won't normally occur and so it's always usually fine - but nonetheless, there are some one-off circumstances where duplicates can sometimes happen.

Make sure you have the Traffic X Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed.  This will ensure you have the maximum traffic in the skies and fix up a few other issues.  You can get that from here: http://www.justflight.com/faqs.asp?drdProduct=182#Update362  If you are not sure whether you have this already or not, then keep in mind that you can install this over the top of your existing install.  It won't hurt anything to do that.

For your compiles, it is OK to overwrite the "TrafficX.bgl" file.  So using the Traffic Generator and choosing Dense and then hitting "Compile TrafficX" and saving it in "TrafficX.bgl" is 100% OK and fine.  I've always done it that way.

As for fuel trucks and other airport vehicles getting broadsided by planes ... yep, it happens.  FSX is usually fairly good at keeping track of vehicles and planes and things and tries its best to prevent the "broadsiding".  However, it is not flawless and if there is a lot for it to do (sliders set high so there is lots of [too much?] traffic etc for it to cope with and manage), then these "accidents" can and do happen.  And, yes, even on runways.  A word of caution: if it is happening to the AI, then it can happen to you.  Don't get broadsided by a fuel truck or vehicle which FSX doesn't get a chance to notify you about ... keep a sharp eye on the lookout ... AND you may want to turn crash detection off just in case.  (If you didn't blow up when you hit the fuel truck on takeoff, then it sounds like you do already have crash detection off.)
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircaptgordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 12:02am
ok, i'll pm you ........ thanks

i saved a TrafficX.bgl this time before overriding .......... ha.

then i thought it looked like the Traffic Generator only had small planes. And i thought i might had elimanated all the Airliners again. And put the orig TrafficX.bgl back.

i had a blue screen crash a minute ago while flying and it was saying it was dumping memory i think. When i started back up FSX had to do a lot of downloading. Then when i went back to the flight the number of AI looked different.

so i'm starting over with TrafficX ............. reloading and yes i have the SP1 download, thanks.

g
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 10:43pm
The file is too big to email (even zipped up).  So I have put it on an FTP site.  I've sent you a reply PM with the FTP link in it.

I will need to remove the file from there in a short while, so be sure to download it from there as soon as you can.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sircaptgordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:16am
got it, thanks .........

so if i load the TrafficBoats file will Sail Boats be flying by at 20,000ft

g
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:59am
Nah, "TrafficBoats.bgl" is the traffic file for AI ferrys and other large AI water craft.  Just like AI planes having routes and waypoints to follow, so too do these watercraft.  That file contails the AI information, routes, waypoints, etc is for those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic