This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Security Shield: Malware?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Shield: Malware?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:13am
My wife was on the internet last night doing research for her course in Psychological Care, she clicked on the button that adds a website to your favourites list when she got a pop up from ''Security Shield'' saying we had viruses on our computer, however she only came to get me after she clicked on it to scan the computer, basically at first i was worried when she told me we had a virus, but id never seen this or heard of it before.

i thought it was all a scam, and from i have seen so far i think it is, i have looked on sites such as yahoo and PC related websites, and in the last month i have seen loads of people starting topics on this, saying they have the same problem as me, it just keeps popping up whatever you are doing saying you are infected, then asks for payment to get rid of the viruses.

From what i gather it is a malware or scareware, and you can only get rid of it by doing a system restore, however i think i will just wipe the HD and do a complete reinstall, but thought i would just post about this to see if anyone has the same problem? also if you look at the link below some people are posting links to website that can get rid of this annoying thing

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:38am
I have AVG, Spybot and Malbytesware. All free downloads. Was conned into signing up for a registry scan prog last year. Will probably have to cancel credit card as told that Direct Debits have to be cancelled by the vendor.
johnep
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:46am
i have tried installing the links that were posted on yahoo website, unfortunately this security shield is blocking every single one from deleting it, also i cannot do a system restore, it will not even let me use applications/games.

Does anyone know if this can cause harm to the CPU or other hardware? as i looked up and saw some viruses can make CPU's overclock until they break, or severely damage other hardware.

i really am stuck now, bloody thing Angry
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 10:10am
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 1:40pm
Yep, this is a typical con. The panel pops up and tells you you have a virus, encouraging those who aren't familiar with this nonsense to click and run a so called scan. All it does of course is install viruses on your PC.

Had it myself the other day, clicking the x to close the box just runs the scan. I quickly hit shift alt delete and closed it down that way. Then I ran my own scan to make sure it hadn't infected me.

Try running the following...

There's a W7 version if you have that.

It's a thorough one off scan courtesy of Microsoft.

Doubtful it will damage hardware.

Don't know what AV you are running, but MS security essentials is very good at eliminating this garbage.

If everything else fails, a reformat is the best bet. And warn your wife about these crafty tricks.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

told that Direct Debits have to be cancelled by the vendor.

Nope - utter rubbish! Direct Debits are a con that favor only the merchant (read the small print). Whoever told you this was either grossly mis-informed or were trying to con you.

Go to your bank and have it cancelled. If you handed over card details to a company you think may be abusing it, then report the company and cancel the card.

Quote From what i gather it is a malware or scareware, and you can only get rid of it by doing a system restore

As you wrote in your post - do a full re-install.

I'm always intrigued that it is people that run AV and AS that seem to get these weird pop-ups. I've never seen them (on my own machine)!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
as has been previously stated there are some good freeware protections ou there but also some really dodgy ones, you just have to be careful. I,m running a payware system called Kaspersky and it is superb. It catches everything that comes through and is regularly updated automatically. I just renew my licence every year for about £20. I also run an anti-malware system as a back-up and between the pair of them my PC is running fine. I also have a very good PC engineer not far from me so any gliches that do occur are quickly dealt with. Its handy as this PC is not a shop bought item but a hybrid build out of various systems. It apparently started life as part of a linked system in a hospital but has broken free and been massively upgraded.oh how I laughed
Its now got a life of its own and is slowly planning its world domination scheme !
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Nope - utter rubbish! Direct Debits are a con that favor only the merchant (read the small print). Whoever told you this was either grossly mis-informed or were trying to con you.

Go to your bank and have it cancelled. If you handed over card details to a company you think may be abusing it, then report the company and cancel the card.
johnep said it was on a credit card, so this isn't Direct Debits at all, since they cannot be applied to credit card accounts. Sounds more like credit card details were given with continuous authority, so it's perfectly legal and does have to be cancelled by the vendor. If you can't contact the vendor or they refuse call the card issuer for help.

As for removing the trash, try booting into safe mode (press F8 while starting the PC) and installing MalwareBytes or similar. The rogue program shouldn't load to cause any issues while you install a removal tool (you'll probably need to manually start the windows installer service though), or you could reformat as others have suggested.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:02pm

yes, its gone!! thanks to this guy:

it did originate from a trojan virus though, so going to run a scan, clean up my pc, then  do a complete reinstall, hopefully i wont have this again, and in future the wife is going to be monitored while using the pc!

thanks for the info from you all though, did give me a little peace of mind

Doubtful it will damage hardware

i sure hope so Martin, as i did read some viruses can melt the CPU by getting rid of the safety limit of the processing speed.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 1:29pm
viruses can melt the CPU by getting rid of the safety limit of the processing speed

Viruses usually want your PC working, so they can use the machine for their own nefarious purposes.  Although they do frequently corrupt data on hard drives of course.

Don't worry about your CPU. A bit difficult for a virus to damage it, when thermal protection is a feature of the CPU itself, programed into the CPU's microcode and not accessible to a virus, or any conventional program. Smile

Even if in a hypothetical scenario the CPU was overclocked by a virus, and all fans shutdown, the CPU's thermal protection would still throttle back and then shut down completely. Smile

The only time I've seen this claimed is by those wishing to con you into buying a product you don't need.
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 3:02pm
Yes, in sales speak, this is called a 'fear close', ie what will happen if I do not purchase this item. Used with great effect in the case of the 'millennium bug'.
Often used by the military and politicians to justify their actions. Quite often the opposite to what they warned against will occur.
johnep
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 5:29pm
Quote i did read some viruses can melt the CPU by getting rid of the safety limit of the processing speed.

Not true.

You can get viruses that can re-write firmware though - that is more serious.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 7:38pm
I have Malwarebytes.it is free from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php but you can buy the full progam and have a nice CD with your name onBig%20smile that will get you back on line. it has been good so far. a freind of mine could not get out of that con he had, till he put in his DEBIT card details would not have his c/card so he lost £60.the con ones I have had you need to clik just 2 times then it locks in togive you the download.I now swich off the PC fast then start in safe mode run all the scans. 
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic