This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scenery File Placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnstormer16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scenery File Placement
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:25pm
I have UTX USA & Alaska plus Scenery Tech for North America.  All show up in the FSX scenery library and it is impotant to get the order correct so they will work properly.  What is the best place amongst all of this to put the Traffic X airport scenery files?
Bill Cox
Greenbrier Virtual Aviation
http://greenbriervirtualaviation.blogspot.com/
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:51pm
I am a little surprised that no one has jumped in to try to answer this, but it is probably because there may not be a good answer.  I do not have any of the addons that you mention, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but perhaps I can give you some things to look for that might help you make that decision. 

The airport definition files describe characteristics of the airport.  For the sake of this discussion I'll separate them into two categories.  First there are things that describe the visible aspects of the airport: runways, taxiways aprons, buildings, etc.  The second category is the definition of the aircraft parking spots: location, size, parking codes, etc. 

If there is detailed airport scenery in your other addons, and they have provided their own airport definition files, then the visible elements defined in those aircraft definition files probably have been customized to match the other scenery elements provided by the addon scenery.  It is likely that the airport definition files provided by TrafficX will have visible elements that are closer to the default airports and therefore may not match the other scenery elements provided by your addon scenery.  So in this case it would be preferable to have the TrafficX airport definition files at a lower priority in the scenery library than your addons.  However,  if the other addons contain airport definition files, their parking spots may not have the correct radii or parking codes to match the TrafficX aircraft, and there may not be enough parking spots to handle the volume of AI traffic that TrafficX provides.  

So, if you wanted to take the easy way out you could first try putting the TrafficX airport definition files higher in the list than your addon scenery and see if that creates any visual problems.  If it does, then try putting the TrafficX airport files at a lower priority.  Then try to see if you have a reasonable amount of AI traffic.

But if you want to do a little more work, you can get a better idea of which order they should be in by examining the aircraft definition files.  You can do this nicely with the free ADE or the payware AFX.   I use AFX, but ADE works very well and the price is right.  

With AFX (and I assume ADE as well), You can search for all of the airport definition files for a given airport.  When you open each file you can see all of its properties, including the folder in which it resides.  So if an addon scenery provides an airport definition file, you should see three files listed, the addon, the TrafficX file and the stock file.  By looking at the 3 files you can get an idea of how they differ.  You can see if the addon file contains enough parking of the right size and with the right parking codes, etc.  That should help you decide the relative priorities.

Having said all that, here is what I do.  I have my TrafficX airport definition files at a higher priority than the stock airports, but at a lower priority than any addon scenery.  If I add some addon scenery that contains an airport definition file, I examine that file (with AFX) to see if it contains adequate parking for the AI traffic that TrafficX (and my other AI traffic packages) provide.  If changes need to be made then I start with the addon scenery airport definition file and modify it to enhance the parking layout.  I save the resulting file in a separate folder that I add to the scenery library at the highest priority.   I may also remove the TrafficX airport definition from the environment (by renaming the extension to something other than .bgl) so that it doesn't get in the way.

And I guess I should add that all of what I said above assumes that the addon scenery provides airport definition files.  If it does not, then I don't think it should matter where in the scenery library you put the TrafficX airport files, as long as they are at a higher priority than the stock files.
Chuck Morse
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Chuck Morse Chuck Morse wrote:

I am a little surprised that no one has jumped in to try to answer this, but it is probably because there may not be a good answer.

Chuck,

Good, informative post.  I kind of knew how it worked, but you've enhanced my knowledge with your excellent explanation. I learnt something.

And, for me, it probably explains why I am only getting one or two military aircraft (instead of the six or seven I am expecting) at some airports.   For various reasons ... trees on taxiways, airports positioned over the top of suburban house, etc ... I reverted to the stock FSX airports for one or two airports instead of using the provided Traffic X ones.  The combat parking spots are available with these stock FSX airports, but no planes are parking in those spots despite being correctly compiled in the BGL.  Thanks to your post, I'll be better armed to look in to that properly.

(I would guess that nobody answered probably because they didn't really know this information - at least, not to the level you have explained here - which certainly applied in my case.)

hi1pie View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi1pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:58am
Ive Compleatley rebuilt an airport and ive made loads of topics on it seems like noone knows ill find out 4 u
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic