This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How often does this happen?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettxw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often does this happen?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:57am
Before I describe, I am using RC4.

After getting cleared to land, I notice some one is making their way onto the runway. I can't see this happening in real life, having an air craft taxi into position and hold while another is coming in to land. It actually made me nervous as I was getting closer, I had to pull up and still managed to land a greaser. But I sure did sweat a little!!!

Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 9:22pm
Hi Brett,

I fly cargo for a living and I've seen it happen on occasion, although it's exteremely rare at controlled fields.

Once, I was the pilot instructed to take off when another plane was on short final (I chose to hold short instead), and on another occasion, I was on a long straight in to a runway in which a four engined fire bomber chose to take the runway (it was an uncontrolled field). Despite my numerous calls on frequency that I was on final for that runway, they blundered out just as shown in your screenshot. I was forced to go around, although I was sorely tempted to land in front of them, just for their rudeness.Angry
brettxw View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettxw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 9:37pm
So it does happen on occasion in the real life. Seems it would be to close to an accident to even allow it to happen. I've flown out of this air port (in fsx) plenty of times taking off runway 35 (which is what I am landing on in the screen shot) while another air craft is coming in for final straight ahead of me. Before take off clearance they gave me heading to fly as soon as I took off which allowed me to be out of danger. Do they do that in the real world as well?
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:15pm
If I understand you correctly, you're talking about a situation where you are departing Rwy 35 and another aircraft is lined up on final to land on Rwy 17, right? Truth be told, in all my years of flying, I never seen that. Especially at a towered airport.

But as a general rule, when things go down the tubes in controlled airspace, ATC will issue vectors (a heading) to avoid the traffic alert.
brettxw View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettxw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Brian_ Brian_ wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about a situation where you are departing Rwy 35 and another aircraft is lined up on final to land on Rwy 17, right? Truth be told, in all my years of flying, I never seen that. Especially at a towered airport.

But as a general rule, when things go down the tubes in controlled airspace, ATC will issue vectors (a heading) to avoid the traffic alert.

That's exactly what happened. I saw the air craft coming in while I was taxing into position and my first thought was "uh, this is not gonna be good" then wondered if RC4 was not working correctly. After listening to take off clearance he issued a heading and that made me relax a bit. Now that I think about it, looking at the live map with Plan-G every one was landing runway 17 while taking off 35 and at take off they were all departing with the same heading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic