This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free FTP Server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free FTP Server
    Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 1:55pm
Woo Hoo, I downloaded the free FTP (File Transfer Protocol) from http://www.coreftp.com/ a few days ago.  I`ve been waiting for my son, who is conversant with WS FTP and the like, to test it.  The idea being theirs a limit with email on filesizes, some sites have a limit and some charge for it, above all else its not  private and really is something a computer can do with ease.  Just that I`d never tried it on a personal computer only in a commercial setup.  So if you have file/s to upload/download between family/friends then this is better than attaching to email.   Just a way to transfer files (FTP).

I won`t say it was completely trouble free to set up, their was some discourse over email and mobile phone and some screen snaps sent.  Mostly it was something not mentioned in the instructions, namely adding his IP address to an allowed list.  I`d already set up the firewall at this end, both the router and the software firewall luckily for ports 21 and 22.  For some reason he set port 22 as we were running it on a scure file transfer and it kept going to port 21.  So I changed the server settings to port 21 and ordinary FTP.  He was in but couldn`t see the train sceneries I had made myself and had in there.  That was when I found the part to add a user and added his IP, straightaway he was in and I could see all that was going on.

I saw on screen he successfully logged in his user name and password.  I saw he was downloading a file and the name of it.  I set the server to allow him to upload too.  I could see his IP number on screen so I knew it was him and nobody else.  All this time I had video conferencing going on and a web page open too, actually it was JF.  I could even lock him to just that one folder and bounce him too if I so wished.

He downloaded three files to a total of 80mb in 48 mins as follows;

File 1 - 37.2mb - 22 mins
File 2 - 500kb - 1min
File 3 - 42.5mb - 25mins

Just a heads up if anyone has a use for anything like this.  Both the server and the client software are free.  You can pay and register but for 2 users and one server theirs no need.  Initially you get three servers and 3 users or something like that I think, until the trial ends.  It stays as a full function as 1 server and 2 users after the trial ends.  Works for me.....

Reider
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic