This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Finished Harry Potter! What Next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusHayden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Finished Harry Potter! What Next?
    Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 7:58pm
Just finished reading the Harry Potter Books!!!Star

So what other book series
Regards,
Hayden

Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:02pm
I can't believe you wasted your time on those books. Boring and predictable

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:19pm
Phillip Pullman (i think) trilogy (golden compass)

Twilight sage

eragon is part of a trilogy
Dale
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by dale_tem dale_tem wrote:

Twilight sage

Don't even think about that irratateing waste of paper!

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
jj163 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:43pm
Trudi Canavan's the Magician's Guild trilogy
JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (Start with the Hobbit though, don't bother with the Silmarilion it's too heavy going.)
I *personally* liked some of the Star Wars novels (The ones by Timothy Zahn are particularly good)
Tom Clancy's books (the Jack Ryan ones) are very good (although Red Storm Rising which stands alone is excellent)

What sort of Genre of book are you looking for? 

jj
PPL, Night,IMC

"I used to be a pilot until I took an arrow to the knee."
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:57pm
'A series of Unfortunate events' is a good book, but it's more for younger people. 

These are not series of books, but some recommendations.

'All My Sons' - it's actually a play, and very sad, with the main plot being that a man called Joe Keller sold faulty cylinder heads to aircraft, which he knew were going to crash hundred of planes and kill lives.

'Of Mice and Men' - Love this book, main theme is friendship between Lennie and George.

'Kidnapped' - By Robert Louis Stevenson.  Set in historic times, where friendship is the main theme. 

'When We Were Orphans'  Highly recommend this book!  The opening few pages were used in the 2009 Standard Grade English close reading.

Hope this has given you a few ideas.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:59pm
'Of Mice and Men' - Love this book, main theme is friendship between Lennie and George.
I am studying this book as part of GCSE English

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:00pm
Have you read to the end yet?
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:02pm
Have you read to the end yet?
Haven't started it yet. We are starting it after Xmas.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:03pm
You'll get a shock at the end, I studied it for my English SG last year, it's not what you expect.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:50pm
Depends what you're into. If you like near-future cyberpunk, Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is the seminal work, not forgetting Gibson's Neuromancer.

On the non-cyberpunk front, there's Good Omens, a collaboration between Terry Pratchet (he of the monotonous Discworld fame) and Neil Gaiman (author of the you-gotta-read-this Sandman graphic novels.

Then staying with the graphic novel theme, there's Watchmen which should need no introduction, and Batman: The Dark Knight Knight Returns and I've always been a huge fan of Nemesis the Warlock.

Topical, but entertaining if you're into Victoriana are the original Sherlock Holmes stories - The Strand illustrated versions are the best, and then taking that into the modern age is The difference engine, an alternate universe of Victorian life where the Babbage engine actually worked.

Anything by Jon Courtenay Grimwood is also excellent, and I've recently discovered Charles Stross - but he's a bit heavy on the future stuff.

And you can't beat the Tolkien, any day of the week!

If horror (understated and simmering) is your thing, then get ye to the alter of the Great Cthulhu and worship H.P. Lovecraft at the Mountains of Madness and other short stories (nice and accessible short reads).
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 10:25pm
2nd the Timothy Zahn star wars books.

There are various authers of the books, which starts about 4 hours after return of the jedi, so do some googling if you are interested to find out the correct order so you don't miss anything
Dale
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:14pm
How about the Hardy Boys ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic