This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aces High at RAF Manston

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aces High at RAF Manston
    Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 10:35pm

Here's a video I put together a little while back when a friend of mine told me she lived near the old RAF Manston airbase in Kent.   The obvious tune for it was Aces High because it reminded me of the opening sequences from the film The Battle of Britain Film.

I posted a few other videos on youtube under the user name HollySandy.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 4:23pm
looks good but its a wonder you didnt wreck the aircraft. that landing was very steep and very fast, why no flaps ? A DC3 can virtually crawl in but you seeemed to be racing, what was the ASI reading at touchdown?
BTW the music Aces High was used in the film Battle Of Britain, as a march past for the Luftwaffe contingent !! Was that Dak a captured one? I noticed the markings had been erased .Wink
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Dylan View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:59am
"looks good but its a wonder you didnt wreck the aircraft. that landing was very steep and very fast, why no flaps ?"

Blame Flight Sim for that.   It doesn't record everything. Or at least my two don't.   It p***es me off, but there's nothing I know of to correct it.   If I was using Fraps throughout you'd have seen the Flaps and gear coming down.   Also the angle looks steeper than it actually was because I was using the Fly By Spot View which was using a look down attitude, again not my fault.   In the sequence just before touch down you can clearly see my glide slope.   The Dak was a FS2004 Aircraft, nothing to do with me about the markings.   I'm not that blooming clever.   I know the opening sequence in the Battle of Britain was a Junkers Trimotor.   I've only watched it about 30 million times.   I wanted to use a military aircraft of the age and RAF Manston though.   I only used the music because of the similarities.   I wasn't really trying to copy the Battle of Britain Film.   The bounce at the end of the runway WAS deliberate by the way.   I like a nice bounce.   I had to do it 3 times to get it just right.   I'm aiming for realism not perfection.   Don't forget in those days Manston was probably a Grass Strip Airfield anyway.   I can do perfect landings when I want to, but where's the interest in that.  It soon gets boring.   Especially with Spitfires and Dakota's.   Also when I'm landing I use the spot view because my computer is just one off the shelf in PC World.   It's not a state of the art computer like you've probably got.  Not all of us can afford them.   So if my approach is a bit fast it's probably because I'm doing it without being able to see the flight control instruments.   If I have them on view Fraps will record them as well.   So it's all done by what I see on the screen.   I've never run out of runway yet.   They used to call it "seat of the pants flying" in the "Good Old Days".
If you can do better on my computer you're more than welcome to try.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:44pm
Got news for you Dylan, My computer is a hybrid built out of several components, theres nothing standard about it. its just been upgraded a bit, the basic tower cost me just £70 ! it was originally part of a linked series in an office and we just adapted it.  I havent yet worked out out to record videos. I wasnt criticising in anyway, just curious. Manstons original runway by the way is still visible as part of the current wider one. if you look at an aerial veiw you can see the difference in surface materials. If you look on youtube btw there is someone thats done a DC3 landing with all his Flaps etc deployed so, as you say, it may just be your programme thats affecting it. I look forward to seein the next installment. happy flying.Wink
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Dylan View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 2:04pm
There's something wrong with the Flight Sim Video on both my FS2004 and FSX
FS2004 you don't see and of the control surfaces working or the gear going up and down.
On FSX the the aircraft seem to hover just above the ground.   The undercarriage doesn't show at all.   So I have to use a mix of Flight Sim Videos and Fraps.   One of these days I'll figure out what's causing it.
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 5:11pm

Nice video! A note: Hide the bar at the top by pressing alt.

What program did you use to record this with?

Dylan View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 7:14pm
Fraps (which I downloaded off the internet) to record it and Windows Movie Maker to edit it and add the music.   It's very simple.  It has to be if I can do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic