This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Trains > JT General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RS Joystick Control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS Joystick Control
    Posted: 29 May 2008 at 1:20pm
Though not entirely happy with it I`ve set up my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro to work with Rail Sim.  Perhaps a bit more practice may win me over, only had a quick look so far as an experiment.  Rail Sim allows Joysticks but hasn`t been activated for them yet, the settings are there but do not currently work.

So, a back door method is called for.  I recalled my joystick had profiler software so I searched and downloaded it.  Told it to use Rail Sim .exe file and then allocated the throttle, brakes on/off, horn, map (9) and Drivers aid (F3), forward/reverse, Doors to it.  Tested and these all work fine.  I even have the map (9) working by using up on the hat switch so this gives the user quite some choices of switches.  Now to try it a little longer, its only an experiment so I can soon delete the RS profile.

You should be able to achieve this with other joysticks where Profilers are available.  I think MS stopped the Sidewinder Profiler but an older version may work with this.  Just one for your information.....

Reider
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 1:42pm
Hi Reider,

I've seen that someone has got the Saitek X52 Pro to work with Rail Simulator too, and due to the fact it's two controllers in one and has a throttle control it seems to be quite suitable for trains - especially the modern diesels like the DMU.
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 5:57pm
Thats right, it was seeing that made me more determined to find out how to add mine, rather than paying £80 upward for the Saitek X52 Pro.  Just a get me through until I find some money for the Saitek yoke and throttles I want for FSX, pedals too later.

The settings are in RS but not activated as yet.  But a profiler gets around this.  Thats how the X52 has done it but only the B version-if anyone is thinking of getting one.  Don`t ask me how you tell, only the messenger Embarrassed

I had a look at some plug in boards too with buttons and stuff.  You program them as you wish and move them around to suit yourself.  The unit plugs into the USB port and interacts with programs like Rail Sim.

One other idea is a Saitek unit too, from Maplins and other stockists.  £18 at Maplins, its got about 10 number keys on it, 4 function keys, a space bar etc and again plugs in the USB port for interaction with programs like Rail Sim-all good stuff and lots of choices!

Reider
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic