This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

44 Years Ago...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 44 Years Ago...
    Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 1:18am
A Huey helicopter returning to base after dropping off the troops during the Battle of Ia Drang 44 years ago. This helicopter landed at LZ X-Ray, and the the soldiers dropped off there (B Company) would face a very intense battle to maintain security of the LZ X-Ray.

Sorry just the one shot

More information about the battle for LZ X-Ray and the battle of Ia Drang as a whole may be found here

Short clip from the movie We Were Soldiers

Another video containing scenes from We Were Solders
(WARNING! THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CONTAINS DRAMATIC REENACTMENTS OF VIETNAM WAR BATTLES. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.)

Their courage and sacrifice will never be forgotten...
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 1:32am
The Huey, has to be one of the most famous helis ever built. (alsoone of my favorites)

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 1:35am
It is one of my personal favourites as well
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 8:40am
Great looking aircraft.
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 10:41am
I agree ,great pic, the Huey was at the background of my formative years as almost every news report featured "Nam"! the unmistakable sound makes the Huey one of the all time classic aircraft.
Heres one of mine !

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:31pm
Nice shot! Ooooo! A first cavalry Huey! Where did you find it? Cool
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:44pm
That sure looks like Vietnam, John. You gotta have the clouds. There were always clouds.

I was in the Marine Corps and stationed with Marine Air Group 12 (MAG-12) at the Chu Lai Air Station* at Dung Quat Bay, in 1968 and the beginning of 1969. I can definitely appreciate your screenshot. Thanks for posting it, and, yes, that was quite a while ago.

Dan

* The Marine Corps designated Chu Lai as an "Air Station" because there were two Marine air groups stationed there...MAG-12 and MAG-13. If there had been only a single Marine Corps air group stationed there, it would have been designated an "Air Facility."
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by johnsmithfsx johnsmithfsx wrote:

Nice shot! Ooooo! A first cavalry Huey! Where did you find it? Cool

I found that one ages ago, I think it was either on FSdome, FSfield or FS2004simviation. I,m afraid I cant remember exactly. theyve got the sound exactly right as well. A wonderful old bird. this is me withthe one in the Helicopter museum at Weston Super Mare in Somerset.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 10:20pm
@ Soaranden

Thanks! I did put a lot of effort into having the correct time and location for the screenshot.

Thank you for serving our country sir!

@ Dodgy

Thanks! I'll have a look around

Wow the Huey is a lot bigger than I thought. I haven't seen a Huey yet as they don't have any at nearby museums. Thanks for posting the museum pic Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic