This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XBox Live Accounts Banned - 600,000 of them

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XBox Live Accounts Banned - 600,000 of them
    Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:57am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8354166.stm

It's not the banning so much as how did MS detect this? I suspect an update pushed via XBox live did a check of the firmware and certain return values and reported back to MS.

What is written in the EULA or any download agreeements? Does MS say anything about reserving the right to check the "status of the license" of its software via technological means, or anything like that?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 12:23pm

16.  Service Operation and Equipment.

The Service may only be accessed with an original Xbox, an Xbox 360 console, a personal computer, or other device authorized by us, or by logging into your account via Xbox.com .  You agree that you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service, that your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads), and that we have the right to send data , applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification.  Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Service, any game , application, or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console is strictly prohibited and may result in cancellation of your account and/or your ability to access the Service, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft.  Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security ,this contract or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in this contract, and such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Microsoft reserves complete and sole discretion with respect to the operation of the Service.  Microsoft may, among other things: (a) restrict or limit access to the Service; (b) retrieve information from the original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, personal computer, and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Service as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Service, and to enforce this contract; and (c) upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 12:58pm
Thanks!

Quote we have the right to send data , applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification.

Interesting choice of words...

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 1:06pm
I wonder how many Gremlins they can squeeze down a fibreoptic cable?
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 1:19pm
One reason not to buy a second-hand xbox 360
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 1:49pm
Yup - it's very important if buying a second hand box from one of the game stores, to get them to plug it in and show it connecting to Live first!!!

Otherwise, yer stuffed!
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

What is written in the EULA or any download agreeements? Does MS say anything about reserving the right to check the "status of the license" of its software via technological means, or anything like that?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Who gives a crap! I'm all for what they've done - if you're not going to pay for games (or pay full price) then tough luck.

(goes back to hugging PS3) Tongue
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 6:28pm
Not got an Xbox, but I completely agree with InKontrol and MS's actions.  Im sure alot of work goes into programming (coding/ what ever)  games, least we can do is pay for them!
Generic forum signature
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:38am
I agree entirely
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:47am
Im against piracy very much, but call me paranoid sending something down a fibre optic cable which breaks your computer seems to to be the thin end of the wedge..... whats next.

People who agree to the xbox terms and conditions are agreeing that microsoft can damage their property any time microsoft see fit? ok you can play single player but the games are moving away from that towards online multiplayer. Are microsoft not harming themselves in this situation? They have just stopped 600000 people from buying their next product. Who were paying monthly fees too.

Im sure a number of years ago microsoft banned a lot of people who werent using chips by mistake. Did that mean they had to go and buy a new xbox to play online because it broke thier xbox? Im sure there will be a way round this that some unscrupulous person will find.

I buy most of my software online because it is not possible for me to go and buy official versions in the shops here, they dont stock them because people will not pay the money for them when they can buy a pirate copy for a quarter of the price from the same shelf.

As far as xbox games, they are the same price as the UK people here cannot afford to pay that money for a game, so they buy a pirate version. For example a new release is approx £50 in the uk for xbox, the average wage here for a graduate is £300 per month. Its the same situation with itunes, people dont use it to download music because the price in comparison is outragoues. Maybe they should follow the same principles as coca cola, set the price for the economy of the country they wish to sell the product in. Coca cola being last time i looked the biggest and most well known brand in the world.

But at the end of the day you still get a minority of people who dont want to pay....
.......... блять
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by scampy scampy wrote:

Im against piracy very much, but call me paranoid sending something down a fibre optic cable which breaks your computer seems to to be the thin end of the wedge..... whats next.

They didn't, they just disabled online accounts for 'hacked' machines.

People who agree to the xbox terms and conditions are agreeing that microsoft can damage their property any time microsoft see fit?

Nothing has been damaged.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 2:44pm
I have a 360 Elite system and happy to say that every game I have was bought and I've never once been tempted to play a hacked game or anything else that's wrong in the eyes of the MS law. Yes games these days are quite abit of money but remember it takes time and skill to bring such amazing details to our gaming time.

Yes, some of that 600.000 may of bought a second hand system and not of known about it so I feel sorry for them, But as for the people who went all out and modded there system to play hacked games, I say they only had it coming to the
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

They didn't, they just disabled online accounts for 'hacked' machines.

Quote People who agree to the xbox terms and conditions are agreeing that microsoft can damage their property any time microsoft see fit?

Nothing has been damaged.

Not strictly true, it's not just the account that is disabled but the console is blocked from accessing the xbox live service, so you can try to create a new account but you still won't be able to connect with that particular xbox.

Also I've heard that these latest bans prevent you from using the install to disk feature.
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 6:06pm

They have just stopped 600000 people from buying their next product. Who were paying monthly fees too.

Their next pirated product perhaps?

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 7:15pm
Hi,

It is a permanent ban.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8356621.stm

Great sales strategy huh?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by AirbusLad AirbusLad wrote:

Yes games these days are quite abit of money but remember it takes time and skill to bring such amazing details to our gaming time.

So they price themselves so high so that people cannot afford to buy their product and purchase a pirate copy? I dont disagree that the games are amazing, and you should have to pay for them, but they are pricing themselves out of a huge market. And that is being shown in the amount of pirate copys changing hands.

To me something which has lost a percentage of its functionality is broken. And how legal is the system of banning the xbox? ok you have agreed a contract but it doesnt mean what they have done is necessarily legal. Are there privacy laws that cover this kind of intrusion im not sure maybe there are?

They may buy another pirate game, but microsoft have lost 600000 monthly fee paying customers in one hit. Id rather have someone pay a monthly fee for 5 yrs than pay a one of fee of £50 it doesnt make sense to me.

.......... блять
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic