This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New iMac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New iMac
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 6:48pm
Does anybody have it ?

If so, have you created a Windows partition for FSX ?
How does it run ?
Which GFX card do you have in it?

I've always been a Microsoft supporter, especially with those PC vs Mac advert that make PC look utterly pathetic, which they just aren't.  However I know that they are supperior (OS and design wise) so today I visited their online store. 

The spec is good (3.06Ghz Dual core) which is a little old now but could certainly run FSX well, you get enough RAM, and the comfort that Mac OS utilise and manage power/performance so much more efficiently.  However the GFX options are poor.  I can afford the model with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics option, and at a BIG push, the ATI 256mb card.

Is it worth it ?  Or should I stick to looking at PCs
Generic forum signature
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:07pm
Just wondering why do you want an iMac? I've never-ever thought of them as gaming FSX type computers.

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Aircraft Aviation Aircraft Aviation wrote:

Just wondering why do you want an iMac? I've never-ever thought of them as gaming FSX type computers.

I havnt quite said I want one just yet, im interested in finding out how well they run FSX Wink

Like I said, ive always been a windows fan, but i thought id look at what Mac has to offer with its latest release.  My friend did run it in a windows partition and it ran well, but i forgot his specs Cry

Also they are just so much prettier, almost beautiful.  I HATE the look of gaming cases. . . .intensely.
Generic forum signature
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:21pm
Chris, off topic but what system of Overclockers did you get? Was it the Titan Goliath?

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:34pm
It was the one similar to my original Overclocker's SPEC (but I changed to Wired2Fire because of OCUK's awful reputation).

I think it was the Ultima Vanquish, which Chris sent back to my knowledge.

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:57pm
Goliath not Vanquish.  Mine was faulty.  Overclockers arent awful, they're under new management I beleive, however Customer service isnt great, the prices are very competitive. 
Generic forum signature
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 8:34pm
iMacs are great for most things, but gaming isn't currently a strong-point. I'm sure FSX would run pretty well in Bootcamp if it's not overly reliant on graphics processing. My iMac is slightly older (07/08 model)) but runs games in Windows pretty well.

You would get more "bang for buck" if you went with a PC though.

/is currently eyeing-up the i7 model
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 8:45pm
Thanks for your input Marmite.  My previous computers have been Windows based, and my last gaming rig (that had to go back) had much much much more power for the same price, so yes I think we'll abandon that idea and I'll stick with a PC

thanks again
Generic forum signature
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic