This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind smoothing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind smoothing
    Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 3:13pm
In FSX, what are you guys using to pacify the infamous sudden wind shift issue.

Are you using ASA and it's built in wind smoothing features? If so how is it with REX?

Or are you using the registered version of FSUIPC. If so how well does the FSUIPC wind smoothing feature work?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 2:54pm
I guess your oblivious to the issue then lads? Big%20smile

There was I, having a great flight, until I encountered the infamous FSX wind shifts.

This time in descent, the winds in hard layers. Not to mention the crazy way FSX injects new weather data instantaneously at hard boundaries.

I'm just getting fed up with it at the moment, it's much worse than normal in REX.

Apparently ASA have gone a long way to calming this behavior.
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 3:03pm
Martin - I'd love to help - it's just that I'm using FS2004 at the moment.

Soon, I'll be getting a brand new PC which should run FSX easily.

papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:20pm
REX 2 seems to do a better job when it come to loading weather while flying.  I still see some effects of wind changes but not as bad as MS, although, some of that is also wind shear which is a part of RW flying.

Greg
Greg
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:30pm
In the FSX settings I just uncheck 'enable wind effets on aircraft' (or somthing along them lines)
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:52pm
FSUIPC is what you want for wind smoothing (registered version). Works like a charm.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 10:12am
Thanks Slopey. Seems Pete has done a good job. If it works like a charm that's what I need... but is it as effective with REX?

REX 2 seems to do a better job when it come to loading weather while flying.  I still see some effects of wind changes but not as bad as MS, although, some of that is also wind shear which is a part of RW flying.

I'm surprised by that Greg. I'm seeing horrendous sudden wind shifts in REX far worse than with the default FSX weather. It's the sudden and instant yaw to twenty or more degrees and then instantly back again that irritates me. As you fly into new weather reporting areas and through the layers.

I'd like to hear what the ASA boys have to say, I gather ASA has a specific settings for combating sudden wind and temperatures changes?

In the FSX settings I just uncheck 'enable wind effets on aircraft' (or somthing along them lines)

I know the setting Tom, but does it afect takeoff and approach also, thus making the experience less than challenging? I must try it.
sj8005 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj8005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 2:37am

Somewhat related...

This evening I flew from KCWA (Central Wisconsin) to KBNA (Nashville) in my trusty Legacy 600 on an Air Hauler flight @ FL390 with a 159 kt headwind.  What the ...?  200 miles out of Nashville and the headwind has diminshed to 118 kts.  I've never seen winds that high Confused.

When I left KCWA, Wx Brf said winds were 215/20.  Very strange.  It might be an "eventful" landing!!

May be that the registered version of FSUIPC is in my future also ..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic