This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Approach Into Tamworth (YSTW) - 737-500PIC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Approach Into Tamworth (YSTW) - 737-500PIC
    Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 11:34am
Heya guys!

I've just made my first ever video using WMM. It took me 4 hours 45 minutes, (HEAVY props to Matt N as he helped me sort out some recording/editing programs). It's an approach into Tamworth, Australia (YSTW).

The approach was completely hand flown without ILS (Judgement FTW!). I used the awesome VOZ 1.8 and Real Environment Professional in my video.

(Best viewed in High Quality and High Sound)

Enjoy!

Thanks.

Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 12:45pm
Has Real Enviroment pro become freeware? Nice vedio aswell

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 1:24pm
Real Environment Professional for FS2004 has always been freeware.

Thanks for the nice comment!

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Aircraft Aviation Aircraft Aviation wrote:

Real Environment Professional for FS2004 has always been freeware.

Thanks for the nice comment!

What is it like?

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 3:25pm
Very good. If you look at my Wunala Dreaming screenshots I posted a few weeks back, you can see some of the things it improves (runway textures, clouds, sun, water textures etc). It's made by the same people who made REX.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 4:39pm
Whats the install time? REX took ages to install.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 6:04pm
About 20 minutes to download & install.

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 6:06pm
Great video!  Hard landing though - you need to arrest that sink before you put it down on the runway! Wink

Like the way you blended a real sound recording into the sim video.  Very nice!  If I was being picky I would say that you've used a recording of a 737-800 over a video of a 737-500, but that's me being very critical!! .
Kind regards,
Tom
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Great video!  Hard landing though - you need to arrest that sink before you put it down on the runway! Wink

Like the way you blended a real sound recording into the sim video.  Very nice!  If I was being picky I would say that you've used a recording of a 737-800 over a video of a 737-500, but that's me being very critical!! .
Ooo you clever clogs. Bang on with identifying the Aircraft audio usedTongue. But still, the 737-800 and 737-500 are still 737's, and it's the closest I could getTongue.

Hehe the audio was very hard to sync. I spent hours trying to match the audio and the video up, but eventually it worked and I'm happy with the result.

About the landing - If you notice, there's a very very slight "clink" between the seconds before touchdown. It's because I'm using the free version of Fraps - you can only record for 30 seconds at once, then you must start a new record. So that's maybe why the landing looked a bit hard. Or, on the other hand, you may be correct and I could've performed a hard landingEmbarrassed.

Haha, bit of a long-winded post there. Anyway, thanks for the very kind words and glad you enjoyed it!

Big%20smile

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 7:04pm
Also guys, I've recently made another video of an approach into Sydney (YSSY) in the 757 Captain. Take a look if you want here:

Tom Wright - If you watch the above video, tell me what you think of my 757 landing. No jump between recording thereTongue.

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 7:24pm

Quote Ooo you clever clogs. Bang on with identifying the Aircraft audio used

Ah it was quite easy really!  I did it by the engine noise. The newer CFM56 engines on the -800 give a very distinct whine at low thrust, very similar to an A320. The older CFM56s on the -300 through -500 are much noisier, and sound more 'windy' and 'gumbly' - technical terms!  Also by the flap noise, where the motors sound slightly different.

Quote If you watch the above video, tell me what you think of my 757 landing

That's much smoother!  You can see by how the rate of descent reduces as it nears the runway and starts to fly along the surface for a bit before it touches, rather than just slamming straight onto the runway!  These landings are far more difficult to pull off in FS, partly because you can't feel the motion of the aircraft, and also because FS doesn't do a particularly good job of modelling ground effect - which is where air gets trapped between the wings and the ground in the last few seconds of flight which causes a natural pitch-down tendancy, making the pilot compensate by adding backpressure.  It helps to pull off these landings if you keep the power on until very late, and then smoothly and slowly idle the throttles before touchdown.  Ideally you should have just closed the throttles as the main gear kisses.
Kind regards,
Tom
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 7:35pm

I tend to idle my throttles around 50ft. I then try and arrest the decent as much as possible. But not too much that I end up over-flaring and floating/acending.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 8:36pm
Nice first video!  Love the sound. 
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 8:55pm
Thanks Tom! Glad you enjoyed it. Have you checked out my second video? I'll re-post the link above, it seems to have disappeared.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:01pm
Do you have the link?  It is not is your above post either.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:04pm
I edited one of my above posts, but here it is again:

757 Approach into YSSY. Enjoy!

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 7:27am
Much better landing!  I love approaches like that when you fly over the water really low.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:26pm

Hehe yeah. Those approaches have a "devils edge" to them - from the cabin it looks like you're just landing in the water.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic