This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i5 and Socket LGA1156 i7 on sale today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i5 and Socket LGA1156 i7 on sale today
    Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 10:41pm

Intel's new processors were released for sale today.  At first, only the i7 860 @ 2.8ghz, the i7 870 @ 2.8ghz and the i5 750 @ 2.66ghz have been released in the uk today.  Now, this creates huge confusion for people.  I thought I would just create a little post to help people understand the different sockets etc...

Intel has three main sockets currently: LGA1366, LGA1156 and LGA775.

LGA775 is the one on which all C2D and C2D quads are based on.

LGA1366 is the original i7 socket, based on the X58 chipset.  This includes the i7 920, 940, 950, 965, 975 and any other i7 processor in the "9" series I might have missed.

LGA1156 is the socket released today, based on the P55 chipset.  Processors released are the i7 860, the i7 870, and the i5 750.  All future i5 processors and i7 processors in the "8" series will be on the chipset and socket.

Now, how is the original and new i7 different, and why a different socket?  

The original i7, or the 9 series, uses the larger socket, and feature triple memory channels.  The newer i7 however only features dual channel memory control, though it does use DDR3.  This thus accounts for the difference in socket.

Why is i5 released as well as the new i7 on the same socket?

i5 is basically a cheaper, more availabe version of i7.  These will be the standard as well as the upcoming i3 in home and office (non-gaming pcs).  The i5 features an integrated GPU in the chipset, something that the i7 "8" series doesn't.  Also, I believe that the i5 will be harder to overclock than the i7.  

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

NB. The "8" series and "9" series designators are UNOFFICIAL, and only used by me to make it easier for me to refer to the processors.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic