This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinning Fuel Prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning Fuel Prices
    Posted: 19 May 2008 at 11:39pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7409166.stm

My car use is as great as ever as there is no viable alternative.

Quote Fuel prices have accelerated as a result of the rising price of oil, which set a record high near $128 a barrel on Friday.

Looks like it's on track to hit the predicted $200/barrel by the end of the year.

It's alright them saying there are 2% fewer cars on the road, but buses are hardly economical. Most only do about 8 to the gallon! Where I am, most of the buses run empty, too. They could run vehicles 1/3 the size they do now and still have spare capacity.

I've also noticed that their so-called "green bus" that was partially electric has disappeared, too. I'll bet it was more expensive to run.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 12:29pm
Government still refuses to decrease the tax as well. They could decrease it and because of the overall increase still make the same amount they were getting last year but, instead, they sit back happy to rake in higher amounts because of the crude increase.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 12:33pm
Exactly, 60% isn't it the duty?

We are being ripped off by an incompetent government.

The pretext is the environment, well sorry Gordon, my limp jawed pal, I'm afraid I don't feel too happy about cleaning up the planet for the rich buggers. I need to use my car actually!

SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:10pm
And you pay VAT on petrol, which is tax on top of the duty...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 1:15pm
Grrr!!!
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:55pm
"Government still refuses to decrease the tax as well. They could decrease it and because of the overall increase still make the same amount they were getting last year but, instead, they sit back happy to rake in higher amounts because of the crude increase. "

Government may or may not make more revenue as oil prices increase.  It depends upon whether the tax is imposed as a percentage (they will) or as a fixed tax per gallon (they won't).  In the latter case, they may even make less as the higher price drives down demand.

The tax is imposed to limit use and is serving the purposes for which your govenrment intends it...

1) To limit oil imports and the resulting unfavorable balance of payments

2) To constrain vehicle numbers, size and useage, thus limiting the need and cost for automotive infrastructure.

You may notice the absence of anything environmental in the list above.  Europe had extremely high taxes on fuel while Al Gore was still soiling diapers and green was not the color of choice.  Government is only too happy to use that as an excuse as it is a popular cause and helps make the draconion taxes more acceptable to the masses, but that is NOT the reason.

It's punative, short-sighted and just wrong, but that's why they're doing it.  They will keep doing it until the pubic puts enough pressure on them to do otherwise, either at the polls or by other means.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 4:30pm
Don't worry, they make a profit all right.
Nope, the tax has never been imposed to limit use since they know that unless it was really, really expensive, your average joe is still going to fill up because they have no real choice not to in this country.  It's purely a tax to make money.

Automotive infrastructure is paid for by its own tax, i.e. road tax. And the cost of a new car includes its own bonus to the treasury in the form of VAT.

What price is fuel in the US again...? WinkSmile
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 5:06pm
"What price is fuel in the US again...? "

About $3.70 / US Gallon, less than half the cost of yours if you take the exchange rate into consideration. 
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 7:38pm
Exactly.

The fuel duty is a percentage of the fuel cost, so as fuel prices rise, so too does the cut to the government. Then as Simon already pointed out - there is another 17.5% on top of that in the form of VAT.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:00pm
Don't worry... we have an even rubbishpier government... all cruising in A8s and S500s...(of course it's only the every day car they drive, their greasy bank accounts have paid for many more cars, challets, jets, boats etc.) They do anything they can to make a max of money out of car drivers, just as if it were fashionable to go at cars nowadays. God bless those feds....
The other day there was an article in the newspaper saying how the government was dissapointed in car manufacturers for building heavier cars that consume more. SO LET'S TAX EM AND BAN THEM 4X4s!!! Once cars won't be going around and those F/A-18s stop flying, we'll have a greener planet! Yep, those geniouses figured it all out! The other 75% of the pollution Swiss companies produce out of Switzerland don't really matter....
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:56pm

The tax is imposed to limit use and is serving the purposes for which your govenrment intends it...

Yes, Magic’s response to that is right, it hasn't reached any where near the point where the vast majority limit car use at all, quite simply because it's regarded by so many a necessity. Except for individuals like me of course that have to limit use, but I am in an unusual situation, the vast majority wouldn’t limit their car use at all.

It’s purely to fill the treasuries coffers.

Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 9:37pm
Voilà.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic