This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Constellation Professsional
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Constellation Pro: two questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Constellation Pro: two questions
    Posted: 22 Aug 2009 at 9:55am
Hi!
Finally I put my hands on this beauty, which I was anxiously waiting.
I have had some trouble with autopilot, even if i'm used to this kind of instruments, such as DC3 Sperry and others.
How do I understand if the pitch is caged or not? A tooltip on the gauge would be nice.
Another question regarding radios. How can I precisely set the ADF? Again, a tooltip on the gauge showing the correct frequency could be nice.
Thx in advance for any answer, and a special thank to JustFlight for this new Masterpiece.

Ciao!
Rosario Manzo, IT
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 6:10am
I cannot answer your questions, but maybe when someone does they can also explain the difference between caged & uncaged. What's the difference and what are they for.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 7:14pm
Hi, from what I understand a "caged guage" is locked mechanically, by a sliding swithch alongside, so that it can't rotate in any axis. Used to prevent "gimbal lock" in circumstances of unusual attitude or when parked. Usually a small "flag" will show in the guage denoting "caged".

The ADF problem about tuning has long been a pain in the a... for me!! The Microsoft "twiddle" switches don't seem accurate enough and tuning has always been a chore. Now if you look at some aircraft that have modern readouts with the frequency displayed, then the ADF tuning is spot on? So if the Connie is like the DC3 it looks like  a panel popup from another Aircraft is required?.... Of course this will spoil the authenticity of a 30's A/C but the "twiddle" guages at least worked in those lovely old birds!!!

The Connie is on my wish list but I am awaiting the CD version.Smile

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

David Broadhurst View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Broadhurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 8:23pm
This is a superb virtual aeroplane.  I have enjoyed flying it from LHR to Dublin and return in IFR. It is light and easy to fly though a good 7+ degrees forward on the trim is necessary to keep it from climbing too steeply and to enable controllable level flight.  It feels suitably ponderous to fly, not bouncing around like a Cesna 152.  Initial climb after rotation needs care ( no more than 500 fpm) or it will stall if too great an angle of attack is allowed to develop. I have made a controlled descent at 700 fpm without the airspeed getting out of hand.
I agree with the comments about the cage on the Sperry Autopilot.  It is not obvious when it is uncaged, unless you try to fly on autopilot when it is caged.  The auto pilot is easier to use than the one on the DC3/R4D6 produced by MAAM having one fewer axis to control.  Also it increments easily for course setting. 
Shift 2 gets a drop down view of the radio panel.  This is unsatisfactory as the graphic is almost unreadable.  Consequently I have not managed to successfully set the Nav radios and have had to rely on ATC for course to steer and making a VFR approach.  Does the Approach hold button work?
David Broadhurst
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 1:22am
I still don't get the difference between caged & uncaged, and how will this effect flight, or autopilot.

As this appears to be the only topic that's getting  any responses. (Where are the developers?) Do any of you guys notice any of the anomalies that I have mentioned in my other Topic here. http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9618

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Broadhurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 4:25pm
A caged autopilot will not affect the flying of the aeroplane in hand controlled flight.  It will only become an issue when you engage the autopilot.  If the trim is locked (caged) then the autopilot cannot work as it can't control the trim of the aeroplane.  So, it won't allow controlled turns, keeping the nose up, nor apply forward pressure when coming out of a turn.  Equally it will not allow a sustained climb under control of the autopilot nor controlled descent.  The trim must be unlocked.  The problem is that whether it is unlocked or not is not obvious until you start to try to use it.  That's how I understand it.  Anyone know any better I would be interested.

I am more bothered about lack of good graphic for the nav radios because I cannot read them so setting them to fly beacon to beacon, as it were, and how it used to be done before GPS systems is not possible, I don't think.
David Broadhurst
rosariomanzo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by David Broadhurst David Broadhurst wrote:

I am more bothered about lack of good graphic for the nav radios because I cannot read them so setting them to fly beacon to beacon, as it were, and how it used to be done before GPS systems is not possible, I don't think.

Right.
In our historical flights there is often a "blank" space between two radios. If the radio to reach is a NDB, you need to tune it properly in order to correct the route as soon as you hear the morse code.
If I'm not sure of the tuning, the task is really hard to accomplish.
I say again, a tooltip on the adf radio gauge showing the frequency set should be easy to add (and a tooltip showing caged/uncaged on the pitch button also).
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 12:46pm
Hey not sure what is going on for you guys but tonight when I flew I was able to quite easily tune into an NDB using the ADF radios. I can also successfully tune the VOR radios. I agree that the graphic is unreadable but I do get a tool tip when I hover with the mouse and this is displaying the frequecies thus making it easy to tune.
I am using the shift 2 popup radio panel.

I also get a mouse over tooltip that indicates whether the gyro is caged or uncaged. Both in the Autopilot popup and in the VC. (Hover over the button in the bottom right corner of the autopilot popup)

To answer your question David, the Approach button does work. I tuned briefly to a VOR set a bearing, switched the approach button on and the autopilot was able to maintain that course to the VOR. Not sure whether it will hold an approach if tuned to an ILS. (ie the descent to the runway) I haven't tried this yet. Lets hope so.

Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by doc289456 doc289456 wrote:

I agree that the graphic is unreadable but I do get a tool tip when I hover with the mouse and this is displaying the frequecies thus making it easy to tune.
I also get a mouse over tooltip that indicates whether the gyro is caged or uncaged. Both in the Autopilot popup and in the VC. (Hover over the button in the bottom right corner of the autopilot popup)

I'm away from home now, will check it ASAP. Thanks anyway for the hint.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Broadhurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 1:27pm
With a lot of squinting I have managed to read and set the Nav 1 radio.  I do not get any tooltips by hovering the mouse over the radio, no idea why not.  I am going to fly from Orly (Paris), where I flew to yesterday from LHR, to Rome (LIRA) using the VOR system over the Alps.  Flying time is about 2 and a half hours and I will need to climb to FL170.  This should be an interesting flight.
David Broadhurst
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 7:23pm
David, I havn't got my Constellation yet, am awaiting a CD version.

However the "Tooltip" is selected from the Flight Sim menues under "realism".  I think its called "flying tips". I do not use these at all in my flying so I am not 100% sure.

Let us know how your flight went?  These old aircraft can write a book for every flight ( or they should do)

Without looking at the sim I obviously cant comment upon it, however all guages that can be selected "caged" have a small control knob near the guage and a "Flag" ( a small .lipop looking artifact which drops across the guage screen to denote its caged status.) Now if this isn't modelled then its an omission that looses it points in the realism score.

If you look at a superb example of the  1930-40's A/C, namely the Flying Cat, you will see what I mean about a caged instrument. Oh and also see how an aircraft add on should be modelled, I mean for detail and realismSmile

I hope the Connie is a winner I would like to try to build a vintage fleet in Airhauler soon.Wink
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Broadhurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 4:33pm
I set off from Orly for Rome and yes the VOR beacons all worked even though I was really having to squint at the Nav 1 radio using the SHIFT 2 popup.  We were going great guns until it came to attempting to climb to FL 150 (ie 15,000 ft) to cross the Alps.  11,600 ft was the highest I managed to achieve at 110 knots with all levers against the stops.  I read the manual (I have printed it off, all 58 pages of it), did what it said re manifold pressure and propellor rpm above 9,000 ft, all to no avail.  So, I hand flew it through the mountains, very pretty, and managed to scrape through with feet to spare.  There will be a CAA inquiry after that flight!  Rest of flight was uneventful. 160 knots 2300 rpm 35 lbs manifold pressure and the aeroplane drifting slowly down to 8,000ft where it seems to want to settle out and fly.
The book says that it will go to higher than  FL 230.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has managed it and will continue experimenting myself.  I don't want to have to give in to flying jets to achieve height and distance! 

A fleet of classic aeroplanes on Airhauler would be interesting.  I have been flying a freeware DH Rapide which I found on Flightsim.com.  That is very nice and suitably detailed.  Perhaps MAAM will produce a DC-3 for FSX as my FS9 ones don't work at all well in FSX.
David Broadhurst
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 3:12am
Hi David
I have consistently been able to climb up to FL23 or over, but I usually find that FL20 is the best for me. Not sure why you couldn't. Atmospheric conditions maybe???
I can usually cruise at around FL20 (depending on my load) at 2300rpm and 31 Manifold pressure. I will do around 230knots (ground speed). The airspeed gauge in cockpit reads a bit less than 200mph.

I have noticed though that if you have more than around 10% of pitch (with the autopilot) that the plane will get to a point where it will not go any faster or climb any higher. (maybe this was your problem). I then have to reduce pitch to allow the AC to speed up and then it will continue to climb.
At around FL20 I have only 1-2% of pitch. This is unladen. If I am fully loaded with fuel & cargo (for my Air Hauler Flights) I need more pitch, can not get as high or as fast.

Hopefully some of this may help you. Sounds like an interesting flight though, I will have to give it a go sometime.

icycle View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 4:26am
David,
I too have a similar problem.  I cannot get it above about 8500-9000 ft without stalling.  It gets even worse when I use Active Sky Advanced.

Thanks
Bill
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by David Broadhurst David Broadhurst wrote:

11,600 ft was the highest I managed to achieve at 110 knots with all levers against the stops.

David, you should lean the mixture while climbing. Anc the levers should never be against the stops.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 12:15pm

but I do get a tool tip when I hover with the mouse and this is displaying the frequecies thus making it easy to tune.

Checked this again and again, no tooltips at all.
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 12:23pm
Did you check your realism settings in FSX as Herky mentioned?
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by icycle icycle wrote:

David,
I too have a similar problem.  I cannot get it above about 8500-9000 ft without stalling.  It gets even worse when I use Active Sky Advanced.

Thanks
Bill

Are you by any chance flying in Air Hauler when having this problem?
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosariomanzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 1:51pm

Did you check your realism settings in FSX as Herky mentioned?

Yes, I have "show tooltips" activated. I can see the altimeter tooltip, but no way to see the ADF one, nor the caged autopilot one.
doc289456 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc289456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:04pm
?????
Strange
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic