This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Pens Shone at Aircraft in Oz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Pens Shone at Aircraft in Oz
    Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 4:17am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080402/wl_asia_afp/australiaaviationsecurity

Apparently the worst injury from this at the moment was "temporary disablement" of the non-handling pilot. I hope he/she recovers and can fly again.

This kind of attack on aircraft should be treated as terrorism IMHO. Very scary, in that these injuries aren't confined to the pilots, but to passengers looking out the windows, too.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 7:46am
Nasty business. Hopefully in this case it is nothing worse than "misinformed" young unfortunates. Could be a real threat in other parts of the world.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:25am

Quote Gibson said some pilots had reported being temporarily blinded and feeling unwell after being hit by the light.

I agree they should be restricted, but having seen one of these things and considering the minimal power that runs them, I seriously doubt they are a real threat. I think the pilots in question may have been exaggerating out of principle, I think I would also in their shoes to ensure the matter was dealt with. As for nausea that’s probably psychosomatic.

Doubt they could do much from that distance powered by a tiny battery.

Years ago I worked for a photographic studio, one of our clients used to make products for schools and colleges, mostly scientific gear. One of their products was a powerful laser, about 10 inches long and 4x4 in the other dimensions, it was 'mains' powered. We took it to one of my colleague’s homes and shone it out of the window at a nearby house the beam spread out considerably at that distance encompassing a sizable portion of the roof and even though it was mains powered it would not have been a serious danger.

I know they have progressed technologically but I still think at that distance, the claim that hundreds could die in a plane crash as a result is a gross exaggeration... bloody media again.

They should be restricted though.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:32am
They must have very steady hands and good eyesight to aim a laser at a Pilot's eyes, who is sitting in an aircraft travelling at 150 knots +
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:41am
Exactly, although the beam does widen considerably at distance, you would still only get a brief flash.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 1:12pm
Quote who is sitting in an aircraft travelling at 150 knots +

If they're located somewhere on the approach, this would be easier than you'd think.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 2:23pm
Pilots in Toronto, in Canada, have also reported this hapenning, and on a night approach there last summer I saw red flashes on the wing from the ground, so it does happen.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 3:38pm
Your red flashes were probably from the aircraft lights.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 3:42pm

Just looked on the net and you can by some powerful ones, as high as 350mw.

For £500 you can even get 400mw plus military lasers.

It makes you wonder if the pilots were being dazzled by something more than just a laser pen.

And for $2500 you can get a 600mw job that burns through rubber.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 11:41pm
      This is not exagerated! This has happened to myself and my crew more times than you think. On one occassion, the laser illuminated the entire inside of the aircraft and actually temporarily blinded my front seat observer for a small amount of time!
These things are powerful and really do have an extreme effect if shone at aircraft.

We use the Air Navigation Order Act (Can not remember what section), endangering an aircraft, to prosecute offenders. When they are nicked and searched, it normally seems to be just a standard Laser pen, not an expensive one!!!

This will down an aircraft one day.
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 10:09am
Thanks for the professional insight Ross. Although I would imagine your experience was at a much closer range.

Perhaps a time will come when laser pens are prohibited.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 11:09am
Martin,
    We are normally in the orbit/hover at about 1000-1500' which i suppose makes it a little easier to illuminate us, but we can then turn the aircraft away from the laser. This obviously helps but effects our effectiveness at completing our task!
As for airline aircraft on approach, they can not get out of the way easily and have quite a lot of forward momentum so if a pilot is temporarily blinded they have real concerns and problems. Granted the co-pilot should be able to take over but what if it is a single pilot operated aircraft.

Banning them will not stop it, its just one of those things that will always be there. Pilots always learn by previous incidents so educating them to the effects of the laser and how to counter act these effects will hopefully prevent an accident.
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic