This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

757 into gatwick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 757 into gatwick
    Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:14pm
I recently arrived back from greece with Thomson Airways (but we were on a First Choice 757 - I think Thomson are busy retro-fitting a lot of their 757's with winglets) and the whole flight back was at night, with a full moon lighting the cloud below and the wind.

My question is, there were PATCHES of fog around the airport and as it was at night would this have been an Autoland? I'm not familiar enough with 757 procedures to know!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:50pm
It depends on how bad the weather was.  If it was really foggy etc. they would probably use an autoland, but if it was just little patches of fog and wasn't that bad weather, it will more than likely be an ILS DME.

There is not any way to tell if it was an autoland, but approx. 1 in 10 landings are automatic.  Even if it is nice weather somtimes the crew like to fly a CAT 111 just to practice FMA calls etc. 
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:59pm

Originally posted by SkyFly SkyFly wrote:

(but we were on a First Choice 757 - I think Thomson are busy retro-fitting a lot of their 757's with winglets)

Thomson and First Choice merged a while back into Thomson Airways. You was still flying with the same airline, they just haven't changed their colours.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 4:00pm
There is not any way to tell if it was an autoland

Yes there is! Ask the Pilot!

but approx. 1 in 10 landings are automatic

Depends on which company it is and there SOP, Lufthansa Cargo say 1 in 15, whereas Cathay Pacific say 1 in 20. Unless of course as you say Tom weather is being a pain.

If it was really foggy etc. they would probably use an autoland

This also depends on when the Pilots six monthly is coming,
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 4:14pm
Yes there is! Ask the Pilot!
Obviously!  I ment by looking out the window.

1 in 10 landing is what United use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic