This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

99p Becomes £1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99p Becomes £1
    Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 2:20pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8159072.stm

It has little to do with the fact that £1 is "easier" than 99p - the supermarkets will rake in an extra few million per year doing this.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 2:26pm
I've been saying that this should be done for years. Getting a penny back from almost every purchase you make is a total waste of time. If there isn't a charity box on the side of the counter then it invariably ends up being lobbed down the drain or kicked down the street.
Every time we have a stand at a trade show we round all our prices off to the nearest pound to save the hassle of mucking around with pennies.

Abolish the penny. It's worthless!

Or it could just be another conspiracy... Wacko
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 3:04pm

Yep, couldn't agree more, the penny must die. Been thinking this for years, the 99p con trick is a pain in the bum.

Abolish pennies, and the 20p I say.

I don't like anything less than 50p. Would even consider £1 as the smallest denomination.

Make life simpler.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 3:05pm
 The supermarkets will rake in an extra few million per year doing this.

Let em! They can keep the stupid things.

I formerly condone the great supermarket conspiracy to steal a few more million, by way of our pennies!

Smile
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 3:42pm
Quote Using the 99-pence price tag originally developed as a sales tool to make items appear cheaper, Dr Lewis says. According to this reasoning, consumers will make purchasing decisions based only on the first number of the price. "If you see something which is £3.99," he says, "you look at the first digit and your brain tells you that three is less than four."

That is what it may have become but that is not what the practice "was originally" for Dr Lewis...

The original reason behind the 99p price was to force the operator into keying the amount into the till and having to open it to give change, thereby registering the sale. Without it the till operator could potentially take the cost for the item and not enter it into the till but keep it themselves.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 4:28pm
This is what i think should happen at Fuel Stations too, when the prices went over a pound a litre then came back down to 99.9pence per litre the main headline was ''petrol back under a pound!!'

woweeee big deal, 0.1 pence less, would make life much simpler to keep an eye on costs of the car aswell.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 5:22pm
the supermarkets will rake in an extra few million per year doing this
But what sounds cheaper, £19.99 or £20? 
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:02pm
I never walk past a penny on the ground, always pick it up.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:54pm
I dont like the 1 and 2ps but i always keep them and put them in a jar, then at the end of the year i empty it and cash it in ( usually around £80 ) why would i want to give them £80 extra a year for nothing? stop moaning and collect your pennys!

Flightboy
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 11:33pm
If you don't want your 1p, 2p, 20p or 50p coins send them to me. I'll take them! Big%20smile  In the case of Martin, your 5p and 10p coins too.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 8:38am

Okay, I admit, we have a cyber man, a cyber man head to be precise, where we deposit our pathetic coins.

It does add up, I admit. We take them to the Tesco machine and grab a voucher.

But 99p instead of a pound, I ask you, what good is that? Sod all!

The supermarkets change their prices frequently, up 20p down 19, up 35p down 3.

If you’re going to be fussy over a 1p saving then switch your TV off 15 seconds earlier every night, or set your heating to switch off 5 minutes earlier. Moaning about 1p is daft.

SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 10:14am
Just read that Argos are putting prices up around 5% in their new catalogue this weekend. Vulcan, buy your gold plated chain now .
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 11:36am
Originally posted by SimUK SimUK wrote:

Just read that Argos are putting prices up around 5% in their new catalogue this weekend

The local population of Chavs will be delighted..

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 11:40am
What we'll need to watch, if we ever join the *shudder* Euro, is that £1 doesn't magically become €1 as happened in several countries, instantly adding 20 odd percent to everything.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Moaning about 1p is daft.

Indeed! wasnt us moaning about it tho **points** Big%20smile

flightboy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic