This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes drinking coffee make you fat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I thought drinking coffee keeps you awake.

Caffeine does keep you awake, but its a burst of energy for a few hours, after the effect wears off you feel more tired than before. You still need sleep at the end of the day.

Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I never knew that drinking loads of coffee could give you a geart attack, I though salt was worse for that.

Caffeine speeds up the heart rate, too much caffeine will lead to a heart attack.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:19pm
Caffeine is a stimulant, in excess it can cause palpitations, higher blood pressure, higher cholesterol levels etc. Best avoided if you have underlying issues. Not dangerous for those of good health but you shouldn't drink it in excess.

Increased risk rather than a definite risk factor.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by pmtos pmtos wrote:

Being fat doesn't matter. What matters is how you feel about yourself!!!!!!!!!
Nonsense!

Hip to waist ratio is a very good measure of risk factor.

The fatter your stomach, the greater the chance of adverse hormonal effects that increase the risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.

Woman are less at risk in regard to visceral fat as they deposit fat subcutaneously.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:42pm
Join MR Motivator's get fit campaign.  (www.gmtv.com)
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 6:57pm
8 Cups !  What ?  come on man turn down the volume on the amount your drinking.
Im no doctor but yes, the caffiene will speed your heart rate up = Increased blood pressure and heart attack chance.

4 sugars, i think somebody said here it ISNT alot and there is more sugar in bananas.

Urch yes but that is refined sugar your putting in your coffee.  Bananas contain natural sugars like starch which we need   ( im no biologist or doctor but im pretty sure im on the right lines )

A better alternative is something like tea (if you want a nice hot drink) its still actually not that good for you tea but better than coffee.
The myth that tea contains more caffeiene than coffee isnt true, in its plant form this is true but not when its all processed to drinking stage.
Generic forum signature
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 7:41pm
Just take away the sugar compleatly.  I used to have about 1 tsp of sugar in my tea, but gave it up for a week.  It tastes weird at first, but after a few days you become used to it, now I don't take any sugar in my tea, and the same goes for salt, I've taken that out my diet aswell.  I though my dad used lots of salt, and I know that this is not good for you, so I poured out all the salt and replaced it with sugar.  So now when when he goes to put salt in his cooking it is really sugar.  .
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:33pm
its still actually not that good for you tea but better than coffee.

tea is good in that it contains beneficial chemicals like anti-oxidants.

I drink decaf tea.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:35pm
To completely cut salt is bad. When you sweat, you loose salt, you need to replace that salt somehow.

Matt.

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:49pm
I love a nice cup of rosy-lea! .  I always have one teaspoon of sugar in mine.  Don't like it without.  How do you guys make your tea?  Do you put the milk in first then add the tea, or the tea first then add the milk?  I put 1 teabag in the mug, pour in the hot water and leave for about 1 min, then prod and mash the teabag with a spoon before removing it and adding the milk and sugar, finally stirring it thoroughly.  Could plaster the walls with my tea!! .

Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

To completely cut salt is bad. When you sweat, you loose salt, you need to replace that salt somehow.

Matt.

Wrong!

If you are talking about salt added to our food that's wrong.

The average person takes in as much a a thousand times more salt than they need.

No salt should be added to any of our food.

Salt added to our food is responsible for increased blood pressure.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Matt.

Depends on what food you buy out of supermarkets though
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 9:03pm
Enough salt is obtainable from our natural unprocessed food, in fact all the body requires.

Processed foods from the supermarket are usally packed with the stuff to make it taste nice.

We do NOT require salt added to any of the foods we buy, enough salt is provided by natuaral unprocessed foods.

He is RIGHT to reduce sodium intake.

Three quarters of the sodium in our diet comes from processed foods.

There were NOT handy salt dispensers dotted around the African Savannah. The environment in which we evolved.

Avoid... salty foods such as sauces, pickles, crisps, savoury snacks, canned and cured meats, sausages, burgers, ham, canned fish in brine or tomato sauce, takeaways, ready meals and canned soups.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 9:23pm

The food we buy in the supermarket contains lots of salt, I saw a curry that had 4g of salt in it, and were only ment to eat 6g a day.  That's quite a large proportion of your daily intake.

Also to add to your high in salt food list:  Pizza, lots of salt in them.  Soya sauce is also very high in salt.  Each bottle contains about 20g!
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 9:33pm
I was talking about cutting salt. i.e. going out of your way, just to avoid salt.

I know adding salt is bad, I still go for it though.

Matt.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 9:40pm
Is salt not one of the worst things you can eat?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 12:07am
Quote Urch yes but that is refined sugar your putting in your coffee.  Bananas contain natural sugars like starch which we need   ( im no biologist or doctor but im pretty sure im on the right lines )

No, you're completely wrong. Starch is a polysaccharide carbohydrate. Guess what it gets broken down to in the digestion process? Sugar. The same stuff you get out of "refining" raw sugar (sugar, but with loads of other bits and pieces). Absolutely nothing wrong with "table sugar" whatsoever. Again, people exaggerate the importance of 'natural' due to a lack of scientific understanding. This is what food companies love though, more reason for you to pry open your wallets. Wink

So, what I said is still correct. The amount of glucose you get from the small amount of table sugar you put in your tea/coffee is a lot less than the amount you'd get from a banana.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 12:12am
Salt can indeed be quite detrimental to your health. However, stick to offical guidelines and you'll be fine. No more than 6g.

The salt reduces the water potential ("concentration") of the blood, so more water has to be retained in the blood rather than being excreted in the urine, to maintain the optimum water potential. As this essentially increases the total volume of the blood, a higher blood pressure results.

Like I said, stick to what you are told, and you should have no problems whatsoever.
needles View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 12:24am
Don't forget also, that if you are exercising regularly and still gaining weight.....you may be gaining muscle fibre which is heavier than fat, so there is another probable cause for weight gain.
Spec:Asus P8Z77-V Mobo; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance1600DDR3 RAM; Intel i7 2600CPU; 2xEVGA GTX570; Corsair Force3 120GbSSD; WD500Gb Velociraptor; WD1.5TbHDD; WD2TbHDD; Litescribe DVD; 3x Acer23" LCD, TH2Go.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Quote Urch yes but that is refined sugar your putting in your coffee.  Bananas contain natural sugars like starch which we need   ( im no biologist or doctor but im pretty sure im on the right lines )

No, you're completely wrong. Starch is a polysaccharide carbohydrate. Guess what it gets broken down to in the digestion process? Sugar. The same stuff you get out of "refining" raw sugar (sugar, but with loads of other bits and pieces). Absolutely nothing wrong with "table sugar" whatsoever. Again, people exaggerate the importance of 'natural' due to a lack of scientific understanding. This is what food companies love though, more reason for you to pry open your wallets. Wink

So, what I said is still correct. The amount of glucose you get from the small amount of table sugar you put in your tea/coffee is a lot less than the amount you'd get from a banana.

Haha EPIC FAIL ODAI

"The completely refined white sugar product is now over 99.9% sucrose and for all practical purposes contains no nutritional elements such as vitamins, minerals, proteins or fibers. This accounts for expressions such as "empty calories" and "junk food"."

Edited by myself

unessecary sarcasm  ,  and we're such good friends
Generic forum signature
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 12:55am
Again Chris, your lack of scientific understanding prevents you from making sense.

Just because something has the vitamins and proteins stripped off it, does not mean it is junk food. Junk food usually refers to food which is positively detrimental to your health, loaded with things like saturated fats which cause cholesterol to be deposited in your blood vessels.

Sucrose is not junk food Chris. Do you have any idea whatsoever what it is? It is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. It is perfectly digestible. Both Glucose and Fructose can be absorbed by the body.  As result, your body can benefit from the aerobic respiration of these molecules to produce energy. So. What exactly is "urrch" about it? Let me guess, you read it in a health magazine, had no idea what it meant, and decided to repeat it here.

Bananas sometimes contain polysaccharides molecules of glucose called starch molecules. Over time, these become seperate mono-saccharide glucose molecules (why they begin to taste sweeter). So, again, what is the difference? You get fructose and glucose from refined sugar, and starch (eventually broken down to glucose in the body) and glucose from bananas. Sleepy

What a waste of time.

Oh, and: EpIC FAIL L.OLZ ZoMG CHRIS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic