This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Cashback' pledge for green power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Cashback' pledge for green power
    Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 2:04pm
Magic! You said you wouldn't mind a wind turbine in your garden, now's your chance. Big%20smile

Apparently if you install three wind turbines in your village, the government will give you £15,000.

'Cashback' pledge for green power

Wind%20turbines
Three wind turbines can make £15,000 a year for a village

Households which contribute electricity to the National Grid are to receive payments under a new government scheme.

Communities will be encouraged to generate wind, water and solar power, and be paid for how much they produce.

Energy and Climate Change Secretary Ed Miliband said the project will "help create the clean energy of the future".

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 2:26pm
I don't think they come in smaller sizes to fit on the garage roof though do they...?

Still think my idea of a turbine designed to be fitted to electricity pylons is a good one...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 4:10pm
The pylons aren't big enough are they magic?

And they would only be efficient in certain windy areas. Turbines have to be sited in specific locations.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 8:37pm
Quote Apparently if you install three wind turbines in your village, the government will give you £15,000

Already looked into this. Not worth doing to get £15k back. To generate sufficient power to supply the grid would cost approx. £250,000. You could make more supplying the grid, period.

We tried to do this where I live, but there weren't enough people interested. We figured if we could get 10 peole on board it would be do-able. Certainly had access to the land.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

The pylons aren't big enough are they magic?

Nope, hence the "designed to be fitted to electricity pylons" bit...  It just strikes me that the whole superstructure is already there plus the means to 'plumb' any generated electricity into the grid.

Could put small turbines on each side or even some sort of helical/screw design in the middle of the pylon. They wouldn't produce a lot but how many thousands of pylons are there criss crossing the country...?

And they would only be efficient in certain windy areas. Turbines have to be sited in specific locations.

Yes, but there are plenty of pylons in exactly that type of area. They are already sitting there - make more use of them.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:14pm
Reckon you should go for a world wide patent on that magic! Big%20smile
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 8:48pm

Damn, I had this idea a while ago and posted it somewhere else, reckon they stole it...!Wink
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 8:53pm
My friend fitted a mini-turbine, those ones they sell in B&Q, it was still big. . . but not BIG big .
He said the power it generated even on a good day was pretty pathetic
Generic forum signature
Old Flapper View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 10:07pm
Why do they put wind turbines in the sea? I thought hydro turbines would be more appropriate.
Everyone's entitled to my opinions
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 11:37pm
Hi,

Because there is little to restrict the wind. Best place for them.

I'd need a turbine good for 12kW continuous (computers, lighting, heating, cookers and kettle). Any suggestions?

Right now wind is calm again.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

Damn, I had this idea a while ago and posted it somewhere else, reckon they stole it...!Wink
Big%20smile You're a genius Magic... but you must be quicker to patent your ides.

Don't worry they nicked mine as well. I had a great idea, when i was about 17, for an array of lenses above photovoltaic cells. Ten years later, I read that NASA were experimenting with the same thing, only Fresnel lenses.

Grrr! Damn Nasa. Angry
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Old Flapper Old Flapper wrote:

Why do they put wind turbines in the sea? I thought hydro turbines would be more appropriate.

As Pointy said, great place for wind turbines, it's windy, no obstructions, people don't moan about them and there's plenty of space.

Wave, tidal power etc, has great potential, plenty of projects ongoing on that one, so the answer is, they do. Just that wind power is further ahead in development.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 8:45am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Hi,

I'd need a turbine good for 12kW continuous (computers, lighting, heating, cookers and kettle). Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

It'll cost you 19,000 dosh notes me old pal.

Build, or convert your existing house into a passive house, you won't need anything like that.

The Passive House concept represents today's highest energy standard with the promise of slashing the heating energy consumption of buildings by an amazing 90%.

There's a house in Cambridge, featured in Grand Designs' that doesn't require any external power, in fact the government pay them £1500 pounds every year.

The cost of building passive houses is surprisingly affordable these days also.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 4:50pm
£19k? I'd have to wait what, 12 years to get the money back (assuming I got paid £1,500/year by the Government)?

Assume just 100,000 people did this - the Gov. would be paying out £150,000,000/year. I can't see that happening. Wink

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 5:01pm

They are doing it, the scheme is in operation. Wheter the government reduce the payments when more houses do this we will have to see.

The passive house on Grand Designs provides power to the grid, so they are in effect paying for the power you provide. 

Not all passive houses provide that much power back to the grid to justify £1500. Many don't provide anything and get no payment, just that they require only 10% of the power for heating and lighting that you and I do. Some none at all.

Doesn't make any sense at all to build such ridiculously inefficient houses based on out dated designs, when we can build houses that require virtually nothing from the grid.

Yes they do cost a bit more, but not as much as you think. I would gladly buy a house with somewhat less land, in exchange for not having to pay any fuel bills at all. And yes, if I could, I would include technologies that generated power.

I just need to win the lottery so I can buy some land and get building. Wink
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 1:14pm

Big%20smile You're a genius Magic... but you must be quicker to patent your ides.

Don't worry they nicked mine as well. I had a great idea, when i was about 17, for an array of lenses above photovoltaic cells. Ten years later, I read that NASA were experimenting with the same thing, only Fresnel lenses.

Grrr! Damn Nasa. Angry

I had the idea of the single handle/battery multiple attachments (drill, jigsaw, torch etc.) that Black & Decker turned into a product a few years later... Waiting for them to make use of my flexible tube filled with a coloured liquid spirit level idea for levelling surfaces out of visual contact (where you can't use a laser level for example)...

And am still waiting for my rechargeable cordless keyboard/mice combo's with built in solar charging to be done by someone or the alternative self charging mouse (charges by induction from current generated by moving it over a magnetic mouse mat, or you could put the magnets in the mouse itself or even go back to a ball in there but just use it for charging...)

My mind it full of ideas, I scare myself sometimes...Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 1:18pm
.Big%20smile

Your as bad as me magic, we should set up in business.

I won't mention my tool for laying bricks that takes the skill out of bricklaying in case you nick the idea.

And not to mention the EM projector fired from a police helicopter that stops miscreants cars in their tracks. Actually I don't think technology has caught up with that one yest. Confused 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 1:21pm
Waiting for them to make use of my flexible tube filled with a coloured liquid spirit level idea for levelling surfaces out of visual contact (where you can't use a laser level for example)...

Thats an old trick isn't it magic? Builders have been using something similar for years.
A length of tube stretched across the site, and the levels of the fluid each end of the tube give you your level, despite uneven ground twists and turns etc.

unless your's is diferant.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 10:53pm

unless your's is diferant.
Yes, filled with a nice coloured, thick liquid... Smile Yep, I know it's an old, well tested and used method but not something you can pick up in the local DIY store ready to use as such.

I'm sure I've seen you brick laying tool on the QVC tools show - basically a couple of jigs that you put four or five bricks in and it spaces them out for you and does the same with the course below. Think you put one jig down on a course of bricks, fill it with mortar and level it off so it gives a constant thickness then put the second jig in place which has spaces for buttering the ends in a similar way. Pull them away and your left with a course of four or five bricks all evenly spaced and mortared correctly.

Like your helo ray gun...Big%20smile An Apache's chain gun would do the job for me though!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 9:43am

Yes, filled with a nice coloured, thick liquid...  Yep, I know it's an old, well tested and used method

Then probably loads of patents already out there. Abandon that one magic.

No my brick laying tool isn’t like that, far simpler.

The idea for the Chopper car buster is simple, although probably not viable at present. And I couldn’t fund it’s development and patent it if it was.

Aim the thing at the car, fire a blast of EM, knacker the cars engine management system, car grinds to a halt.

As you can tell, not exactly an intricately worked out concept yet is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic