This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Pupil murder bid' teacher held

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 1:07pm

therefore while the teacher may not have been trying to kill the pupil, the resulting injuries from the attack warrant the charge of attempt murder

Sorry, don't see the logic of that. A deliberate blow to the skull [allegedly more than one] with a heavy object, with sufficient force to cause the child to suffer a brain bleed, sounds like it justifies a charge of attempted murder to me.

The definition of attempted murder is clear...

Quote In English criminal law, attempted murder is the crime of more than merely preparing to commit unlawful homicide and at the same time having a specific intention to cause the death of human being under the Queen's Peace. The phrase "more than merely preparatory" is specified by the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 to denote the fact that preparation for a crime by itself does not constitute an "attempted crime."

So that’s having the specific intention to cause the death of the victim! If the perpetrator hasn't a specific intention to kill the victim it's not attempted murder. There is no ambiguity in this respect.

True, the information we have been given may be bogus, but that sounds unlikely at this stage, but if we are to speculate then that's the information we have to go on, the police obviously believe there is a chance of prosecution, or they wouldn't be wasting the courts time.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 1:16pm

Whist I dont condone the actions of the teacher, I can understand the frustrations that can lead to such a thing.

Me too, but this [according to the information we have been given] goes way beyond a teacher loosing his temper, there were [allegedly] repeated blows directly to the boys skull. We are all fallible human beings, all capable of loosing out temper with unruly kids, but this smacks of something far more profound than a loss of temper.

I'm in the same age group as the teacher (and you, Martin) and can remember when discipline in schools was firm if not always fair.

Went way beyond ‘not always fair’ at my school, some of them were cruel and shouldn't have been teachers.

Todays teachers have their hands very muh tied as the law is firmly on the side of the pupils.  They, the teachers have my sympathy.

Not sure if I’m interpreting that right, but if by that you mean they ‘shouldn't’ have their hands tied behind their backs and ‘should’ be allowed to administer corporal punishment, then I would disagree.

They have my sympathy in terms of the difficulties of the job, but I would say their hands should be tied behind their backs in terms of corporal punishment. Teachers should not have the right to administer beatings to children. That is something too easily abused and open to interpretation.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic