This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Pupil murder bid' teacher held

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Pupil murder bid' teacher held
    Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:57pm
Good grief, we had some dodgy teachers when I was a lad but that's a shocker.

Sounds like the teacher went bananas.

A science teacher has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a boy of 14 and two other pupils were hurt at a Nottinghamshire school.

The boy is said to be in a serious condition in hospital following the incident at All Saints' Roman Catholic School in Mansfield.

Science teacher Peter Harvey, 49, is being questioned by detectives.

Det Supt Adrian Pearson said a weapon was used and there were a "number of witnesses".

Police said the incident took place at the school in Broomhill Lane on Wednesday.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 5:00pm
Doesn't really give any details yet so isn't it a bit early to make any judgements? Anything could have happened - the kid could have pulled a knife and he had to protect himself etc.  
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 5:27pm
I'm not making any judgements, I'm speculating.

I said it 'sounds like...'

We are allowed to speculate as we aren't the police.

It's also worth pointing out that the teacher has been arrested on the grounds of 'attempted murder'

I hardly thing he would have attacked two other children also, if he was defending himself against one armed pupil. Unless a gang of them were attacking him and then the suspicion wouldn't be attempted murder.

Quote He is also being questioned about alleged attacks on two other schoolchildren.

Sounds like [speculating again] that the kids were giving him a rough time and he snapped.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 5:50pm
To add weight to Mr Ras's theory, the police say a number of objects have been removed from the class.  Weapons perhaps?

Who knows, they do call it shotingham!

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 5:58pm
I have no theory, just that it's too soon to say he went banana's at the moment.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 6:37pm
How odd, seems like a well highly rated school as well Ermm but 3 kids hurts seems to say there is alot more to this story

Flightboy
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

I have no theory, just that it's too soon to say he went banana's at the moment.

Of course it's too soon, precisely why I didn't SAY he went bananas, I simply speculated that maybe he did!

Speculating is allowed on forums and human nature. We aren't the authorities who aren't allowed to do such things.

I'm logging off I think, it's wind Martin up night.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:37pm
The teacher has serious issues.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

The teacher has serious issues.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Correction. The kids had serious issues, which probably wizzed off the teacher so much he flipped 20 times over and decided to throttle the twonk.
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 11:28pm
He might of deserved it, the tyke
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
GBL View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 11:36am
When i was at school there was one male teacher that was  verbally abused, answered back, and basically i would call it bullied by our year. I'm surprised he never went mental. Children these days always seem to look bigger than their age and girls always seem to have bigger boobs then when i was at school. I would bet that this teacher was getting much the same and snapped and unfortunately its now attempted murder.
Aircraft Engines are the sound of Freedom.

ART
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by GBL GBL wrote:

girls always seem to have bigger boobs then when i was at school.

They're called S_lags, and there's loads of them. The type to have breasts so big you'd get lost in them and the type that look like they've gone and dived head first into a pot of flour.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 10:38am
The latest is that the teacher has been formerly charged with attempted murder.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 11:10am
Happens everywhere.  Teacher at my school a few years ago got wound up so much by his class that he hurled a chair across the room and stormed out.  Nobody ever saw him again!

I don't doubt for one minute that it was the kids that drove him to it. Some kids are so difficult to deal with and nowadays teachers are powerless to do anything to stop it.  All that pressure and stress builds and eventually they just snap.
Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 11:26am
Makes sense Tom, but by the same token we can't have teachers that snap to such a degree that they nearly kill people.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 11:44am
As others have already pointed out, the full details are not known, and, knowing how the system works, we probably wont ever know.  If you believe just what the media is feeding us, then its all the fault of the teacher.  But there are always 2 sides to any story.  Bear in mind also, that the charge of attempted murder could have come about as a result of, say the kid having fallen down from being pushed and then banging his head!  The fact that there is no longer any effective discipline in schools anymore - and the kids know it - is enough to make most sane law abiding people want to snap!

rory
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 12:26pm
Actually we probably will know, after the court case the circumstances will be in the public domain.

The media haven't at all said it's the fault of the teacher. Not the media I've been listening to. They have simply reported that the guy had been charged with attempted murder.

I'm not an expert in the law, but I doubt a push resulting in a head injury would warrant a charge of attempted murder.

He did not bang his head, he was struck on the head with an object.

He is also being questioned regarding alleged attacks on two other children.

Regardless of lack of discipline in schools, acting as a catalyst for aggression, a teacher striking a child on the head with a blunt object enough to endanger his life is extreme.

I think we are all aware that we are speculating, but such an action seems indicative of an emotional breakdown.

Attempted murder is not a side effect of a push, it's a premeditated attempt to kill someone.

The police don't charge someone with attempted murder on a whim, they do so if they feel they have a strong case.

Time will tell if the charge sticks or not. Or if psychiatric help is required.

Quote In English criminal law, attempted murder is the crime of more than merely preparing to commit unlawful homicide and at the same time having a specific intention to cause the death of human being under the Queen's Peace. The phrase "more than merely preparatory" is specified by the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 to denote the fact that preparation for a crime by itself does not constitute an "attempted crime."

Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:10am
There's no excuse for it, but it'll be interesting to hear both sides of the story - the chap has a lot of support from pupils who may be able to shed light on why he did what he did. Either way, the kid's in hospital, and the book is rightly going to be well and truly thrown at the teacher.

The Mrs noted an interesting thing in the TV reports too; a class with only 20 in it - where she's taught (and happens also to be a 2ndary science teacher) the smaller class sizes have been saved for the less able, or sometimes shall we say "less willing to learn", children...

...if you get my drift.

May not be the case, but I'd be quite surprised if it isn't.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:24am
with regards to the charge of attempt murder, I'm no expert, even though I work for the police.  There was a recent case which I worked on (in Greater Manchester), where a teenager threw a bottle at a doorman of a pub after he was refused entry.  The bottle shattered against the doorway and the bottom spun off and embedded itself into the neck of a woman who happened to be just inside the doorway on her way out.  It severed her jugular and she died within minutes.  The teenager was subsequently charged with murder.
He was ultimately found guilty of manslaughter.  He obviously hadnt intended to kill the woman but his actions had caused her death and therefore he had been charged with murder.   The law seems very black and white sometimes.  In my experience the charges relate in many cases to the severity of the injuries regardless of the intentons of the agressor, therefore while the teacher may not have been trying to kill the pupil, the resulting injuries from the attack warrant the charge of attempt murder.  It certainly raises many questions.  Whist I dont condone the actions of the teacher, I can understand the frustrations that can lead to such a thing. I'm in the same age group as the teacher (and you, Martin) and can remember when discipline in schools was firm if not always fair. Todays teachers have their hands very muh tied as the law is firmly on the side of the pupils.  They, the teachers have my sympathy.

rory
GBL View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:55am
Give the teachers tazers Evil%20Smile
Aircraft Engines are the sound of Freedom.

ART
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic