This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Agenda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Agenda
    Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:10pm
Hmmm.. something is fishy here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7393449.stm

Quote "But the only way to really positively identify that someone is who they claim to be, is by using DNA."

How about using the law of perjury against those who lie about their age to obtain things illegally?

It's quite conceivable for someone to walk into a physical shop with forged papers with their age/date of birth on it, so why treat online any differently?

The ultimate way which will never be defeated is that someone buys on someone else's behalf. I'm sure there is plenty of that already happening. Unless you watch everyone all the time, you'd never stop that.

I had an idea that might help prevent this kind of thing happening but I'll keep it to myself.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:55am

Quote That's great if it's a CD, book or generic product being procured but that self-same ease of purchase is increasingly of concern to parents who can no longer control what their children are buying on line.

Young people are using the anonymity of the web to buy all types of products suitable only for adults - made easy by purchasing prepaid credit cards which don't require stringent proof of age.

What!!!! How ridiculous. Don't give them access to an account then.

If no proof of age is required for a prepaid credit card there bloody well should be. 

My daughter doesn't order anything on line, she doesn't have control of an account. Even my 20 year old son doesn't order on line I do it for him, although of course he is old enough to if he so desired.

Ridiculous for parents to give children the facility to order anything on line.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 11:40am

Exactly, buying things online is more difficult than in a shop since you have to have some form of account - you can't pay cash. If there are any problems then it is the fault of such accounts that are not age restricted when they should be.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 3:42pm
And how come they have the funds to buy the cards in the first instance.

Some parents give their kids too much cash.
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

And how come they have the funds to buy the cards in the first instance.

Some parents give their kids too much cash.

I agree, especially the ones who splash out over 100k on birthday parties!
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 10:52pm
Quote If no proof of age is required for a prepaid credit card there bloody well should be. 

An excellent point!

Quote And how come they have the funds to buy the cards in the first instance.

When I was a kid, the only money I had access to was my lunch money. The other thing is: when could you pay for things using cash over the 'net?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic