This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 4:48pm
Quote and why removing it is a daft idea.

WHY?

Why is it daft? Please cite technical reasons, not just "they said so".

Quote I'm running iTunes and have "alt-tab'ed" to this reply, strange, iTunes is still playing...

It will not not page out the bit that is in use. See the part where I mentioned IDLE?

To answer your question about running multiple apps - Assume you have 512 Mb of RAM with a 4 Gb swap file (call it what you like) Windows will (and does) spend its time swapping stuff in and out as it is needed, CONTINUOUSLY.

My example was simplified for clarity. If it needs to get something out of swap to use it, and it must throw something back there to make room ofr it, it will, but the second it needs that other piece of data... you get the idea.

Quote "The system NEVER drops pages of actively running applications."
 If it did do that where does that leave you with your insistence that you don't need a 'swap' file

"If it did do that" - you mean, if Windows did NOT drop pages whilst an app was running? Has nothing to do with the swap file. Stick to the topic.

Quote Rubbish, this is 2009, we are not dealing with single processing systems anymore

Again, you fail to see the point, and again show your ignorance. Running multiple apps on a single processor is a different branch of computing entirely. Do you even know what it takes to multi-task? This has NOTHING to do with dumping the contents of physical memory into a swap file.

Quote Wrong name

Is that the best you can do? Swap file/Page file/whatever. It's just a name.

I asked at the top of this post - I'll ask it again:

WHY?

I have explained the technicalities of how the memory manager works (no-one in that other forum did so - they simply got confrontational and didn't produce any facts to back anything they said - typical manouvers by those with no understanding, much like you're doing by stone-walling with unrelated topics and picking at my use of the term "swap file"), and I have also demonstrated that there is absolutely no problem with disabling it, either.

Instead of picking at what I refer to the swap file as, how about trying to show me FACTS to counter anything I've said? You will not be able to though, as what I'm saying is correct.

Cite Microsoft Technical Articles, not some forum.

Good luck - you'll need it.

Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

WHY?

Why is it daft? Please cite technical reasons, not just "they said so".

I have already said. Doing so means that Windows cannot page out unbacked stuff when it deems that is the best thing to do, you force its hand, therefore it has to retain it in RAM at the expense of something else that it can page out. I.e. stuff that is backed, i.e. code that it may need frequently and that is best left in RAM. That potentially hurts performance. 

That is the technical reason and no a "they said so". If that is what they say then it is because it is fact. Deal with it.

To answer your question about running multiple apps - Assume you have 512 Mb of RAM with a 4 Gb swap file (call it what you like) Windows will (and does) spend its time swapping stuff in and out as it is needed, CONTINUOUSLY.

Yes, the memory manager will swap stuff out as it sees fit in order to retain optimal (according to its algorithms) resources for running stuff and disk cache.

My example was simplified for clarity. If it needs to get something out of swap to use it, and it must throw something back there to make room ofr it, it will, but the second it needs that other piece of data... you get the idea.
It won't throw stuff other than unbacked store in the page file, that is what it is for.

Quote Rubbish, this is 2009, we are not dealing with single processing systems anymore

Again, you fail to see the point, and again show your ignorance. Running multiple apps on a single processor is an entirely different branch of computing entirely. Do you even know what it takes to multi-task? This has NOTHING to do with dumping the contents of physical memory into a swap file.
Geez... you were the one who gave this as an example and why the data would need to be 'swapped' out...!!!!

Quote I asked at the top of this post - I'll ask it again:

WHY?

BECAUSE WINDOWS CAN MANAGE ITS MEMORY BETTER THAN YOU CAN AND IT CAN DO SO BETTER WITH THE PAGE FILE ENABLED THAN DISABLED

Quote I have explained the technicalities of how the memory manager works
Nope, you explained how you think it works which is wrong.

Quote  (no-one in that other forum did so
Yes they did, read the posts again.

Quote they simply got confrontational and didn't produce any facts to back anything they said - typical manouvers by those with no understanding
so live by your convictions and post there. Put them right...

Quote much like you're doing by stone-walling with unrelated topics
I've only quoted what you originally posted...!

Quote I have also demonstrated that there is absolutely no problem with disabling it
You failed to prove anything. Just thinking back, who's been the one who's posted issues and performance problems with FSX in the past whilst the rest of us with similar systems have been happy...?
Quote Instead of picking at what I refer to the swap file as, how about trying to show me FACTS to counter anything I've said? You will not be able to though, as what I'm saying is correct.

I bet you were an annoying child as well...Confused
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 6:00pm
Quote That potentially hurts performance.

It has no performance penalty.

Why?

Simple. If it isn't having to wait for stuff to move between the swap file and memory, and it can instead just get on and run, surely that is a performance increase, no? After all, disk access takes time, it takes CPU time to process the move... the list goes on - meanwhile it is waiting for the data it wants. DIsabnling the swap file cuts alllllll that out. The worst that can happen is that you run out of memory sooner (solved by adding more).

Quote If that is what they say then it is because it is fact. Deal with it.

Oh - so you take anything at face value? You don't verify or question? I'm inviting you to publicly shoot me down. So far, you've failed miserably.

Quote BECAUSE WINDOWS CAN MANAGE ITS MEMORY BETTER THAN YOU CAN AND IT CAN DO SO BETTER WITH THE PAGE FILE ENABLED THAN DISABLED

That isn't a valid reason.

Quote Nope, you explained how you think it works which is wrong.

Please cite an MS Technical Article that proves me wrong. I invite it. Educate me.

Quote I've only quoted what you originally posted...!

When you statred talking about multi-tasking processors, you went off at a tangent.

Quote Just thinking back, who's been the one who's posted issues and performance problems with FSX in the past whilst the rest of us with similar systems have been happy...?

More diversionary tactics. My FSX problems had nothing to do with anything we are discussing here. If you recall, I wrote back that Water 2.x High effects were the SOLE CAUSE of my poor performance. I now get excellent performance. Have oyu not seen my screenshots recently of the Catalina? Check them out. I wouldn't have bought the Catalina if I was still unhappy with FSX performance. I love the aircraft (both the sim and real-life versions), and want a smooth sim to fly it in. I have both, and I'm very pleased with it.

45+ FPS on the ground is not poor performance, by any standard.

Quote I bet you were an annoying child as well

I still don't see any facts from you. Again, please stop diverting the discussion, and PROVE ME WRONG!

Sorry for the larger text - this rich text editor is buggy.

Vulcan.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 8:39pm
Jeez are there no mods about with an itchy delete finger

Sure not using a page file/swap file/virtual memory/swap partition may be fine if you know that you have enough memory to run the applications you're going to run, but to be honest I see no point in disabling the page file, I trust the operating system to make the best judgement on things that I can't control (can you accurately tell exactly how much memory all of your application will use at any given time?).
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 8:47pm
. Looks like someones going to be in need of a new keyboard by the end of this thread.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 10:04pm

Nh - 'ts ne.

Bst rgards,
Vlan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 10:05pm

Quote That potentially hurts performance.

It has no performance penalty.

Vulcan, it does have a potential performance penalty because you are taking away an option to manage memory and forcing Windows and its memory manager to make decisions on how to manage the memory in a restricted way. There is nothing difficult to understand here, in fact, it's common sense.

The memory manager tries its best, using algorithms, to keep resources available to you. You have a limited amount of RAM. Into that RAM you load program code and into that RAM you make changes in whatever you are doing. Additionally there are certain Windows code pages and certain pages from whatever applications you are running that are best left cached in that RAM.

The memory manager can page out stuff that it deems that you are no longer using or haven't been used in some time. Backed stuff, i.e. code, application stuff etc. that exists as files on your drive can simply be dropped when the mm decides it is advantageous to do so because, being backed, the mm can load it back from those files when required. Obviously, the best thing would be for everything you are using to be in RAM with no need for anything to be paged out but unless you have gobs of RAM, that is not going to happen. The page file itself is used by the mm to page out those memory pages that have changed but are not existent anywhere other than in RAM, that includes any user altered files, work you are doing etc. that hasn't been saved. If it's changed and doesn't exists on disk then the mm can use the page file for temporary storage.

Again, all straightforward and quite logical as I'm sure everyone else here will agree.

By removing that page file you are now forcing the mm to make restricted decisions on what it can do whenever there is a call for more allocated memory space. Now, rather than being able to page out those changes to that large image file you've been making it has no choice but to keep all of that in RAM since it can't do anything else with it. As a consequence program code that really should be cached for better performance has to be sacrificed instead since it is backed and so it is paged out (note, paged out does not mean copied to the page file).

Therefore I really can't see why you can in any way not see that there is a potential for a performance penalty. Surely, this seems quite logical to everyone doesn't it and really quite straightforward?

Ultimately, unless you have large amounts of RAM and always restrain yourself from going anywhere near memory limits then there is always the potential for performance hits caused by unneccesary paging out of commonly used program and OS code because the memory manager has no choice because it no longer has the use of the page file. As the friendly meerkat would say, Simples...

Simple. If it isn't having to wait for stuff to move between the swap file and memory, and it can instead just get on and run, surely that is a performance increase, no? After all, disk access takes time, it takes CPU time to process the move... the list goes on - meanwhile it is waiting for the data it wants. DIsabnling the swap file cuts alllllll that out.
What stuff will it now not have to be waiting for to move between the 'swap' file and memory without a page file that it would with? The page file gives it more choice on how to manage the memory, not less. Yes, disk access does take time which is why you want the memory manager to minimise it by best optimisation of the memory. It can do this as well as it can and better than you second guessing it by being allowed access to the page file.

You have a limited amount of memory, how can you possibly think that cutting off a source of potential storage (granted, a lot slower storage, but storage at least than allows the mm to juggle things around better) can possibly be better than leaving it use it as it sees fit?

The worst that can happen is that you run out of memory sooner (solved by adding more).
Yep, you can run out of memory in the middle of a piece of work, potentially loosing all that you have done whereas if you had the page file in place you wouldn't. Again, why is that a disadvantage...? Solved by adding more memory? Not a feasible solution in most cases and ultimately a waste of time and money since you have a technology available to you, built into the operating system, a core feature of the code that is designed to prevent that very problem, so why not use it.

I do some graphical 3d rendering in my spare time - add a few models, scenery, large textures etc. etc. and click render. That goes away and potentially requires a gob smackingly large amount of RAM. The image I produced for my son for Christmas was rendered 1:1 at 3622 x 2834,  16" x 12" (larger actually since it was for a canvas print and I wrapped it around the borders). It took several hours to calculate the lighting and ray tracing etc.  Without a page file I'd have had no chance...

Quote I'm inviting you to publicly shoot me down. So far, you've failed miserably.

Quote BECAUSE WINDOWS CAN MANAGE ITS MEMORY BETTER THAN YOU CAN AND IT CAN DO SO BETTER WITH THE PAGE FILE ENABLED THAN DISABLED

That isn't a valid reason.
Isn't it? Sounds perfectly valid to me...

Quote I've only quoted what you originally posted...!

When you statred talking about multi-tasking processors, you went off at a tangent.

I posted in reply to you saying about alt-tabing between tasks and the OS having to page each out and back in in turn. I simply responded by saying that it didn't since we are not running single tasking (corrected) operating systems anymore.

Quote Please cite an MS Technical Article that proves me wrong. I invite it. Educate me.
Kind of ironic since you previously stated that an MVP had it wrong and didn't know his stuff when he's "MS-MVP - Windows Storage Management/File Systems" - who do you think contribute to the tech net articles...?

Tell you what. Since the Microsoft default is to set a system managed page file I think that means that MS think Windows works best with the page file enabled.

Since you are the one changing things from the norm' for reasons that you think are better and because you think work better than what Microsoft designed, how about you produce an MS Technical Article that shows that actually, running with the page file disabled is better for peformance. I invite it. Educate me.
Kind regards,
MM
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 12:03am
Quote and forcing Windows and its memory manager to make decisions on how to manage the memory in a restricted way. There is nothing difficult to understand here, in fact, it's common sense.

Did you ignore my description of the memory manager? Exactly how does it restrict its ability to manage anything? Please stop being vague and start getting technical.

Quote The memory manager tries its best, using algorithms, to keep resources available to you.

Please refer to my earlier post. It tries to free up memory when required by looking for data it can move out that is the same size or slightly larger, but no more than necessary.

It is as simple as this:

[1024][4096][512][23][56]

I want 2048 of memory

[1024][2048][FREE SPACE][23][56] [SWAP=4096]

My app does its thing.

Without the swap?

[1024][4096][512][23][56]

I want 2048 of memory

OUT OF MEMORY. Something does something. Who knows what as it is random.

Quote Additionally there are certain Windows code pages and certain pages from whatever applications you are running that are best left cached in that RAM.

Yes, like Kernel memory. If you understood my previous post, you would know this is called NON-PAGED MEMORY. It an't moving no matter what.

Quote Backed stuff, i.e. code, application stuff etc. that exists as files on your drive can simply be dropped when the mm decides it is advantageous to do so because, being backed, the mm can load it back from those files when required.

See, you made the same mistake again. IT DOES NOT DO THIS. Refer to my earlier posts.

Quote the best thing would be for everything you are using to be in RAM with no need for anything to be paged out but unless you have gobs of RAM

Incredible. We're getting somewhere at last!!!! You now realize it is for cases where THE SYSTEM IS OUT OF PHYSICAL MEMORY.

Quote The page file itself is used by the mm to page out those memory pages that have changed but are not existent anywhere other than in RAM

Not true. It will page out all memory necessary to complete a task, up to the limit of the maximum size of the swap file (ignoring race conditions talked about earlier with respect to dynamic swap files).

Quote If it's changed and doesn't exists on disk then the mm can use the page file for temporary storage.

Not true. If it is pageable memory, it will move it if required. Again, you fail to recognize it does NOT care what that data is. It is just a bunch of 0s and 1s occupying space it wants to use.

Quote As a consequence program code that really should be cached for better performance has to be sacrificed instead since it is backed and so it is paged out (note, paged out does not mean copied to the page file).

Huh?? This makes no sense. Specifically:

Quote note, paged out does not mean copied to the page file

If it isn't copied to the page file, by definition the data is not paged out, but dumped. Freed. Deleted. Overwritten. Trashed. Ignored. Removed. Corrupted. Whatever. Anything but kept in a usable state for later.

Quote Therefore I really can't see why you can in any way not see that there is a potential for a performance penalty.

See, I think you are mixing terminology, and getting confused by it.

Cache is data not in use, but *might* be needed, maybe (possibly never). The whole point of cache is to move that data to faster storage. Hard disk to RAM, then RAM to L2 cache, then L2 cache to instruction/data cache.

The system can cache all it wants - if I use something else, it makes NO DIFFERENCE.

When you initially start using the computer, all programs start out equal. They are all on the hard disk, and none are anywhere near memory.

The only time caching makes a difference is if I launch Word, write a letter, quit, and come back later (assuming I didn't restart). The next time I launch Word, it will already be in memory and it will start very quickly.

FYI: you don't need a swap file for this. Yesterday I had Acrobat Reader open, FS9, GIMP, FireFox, Media Player, etc.. open. I could close of them. If I statred them up again, the system did NOT load everything fresh off the HD - they all ran straight out of memory (cache). It didn't make one access to the HD to do this.

Quote Ultimately, unless you have large amounts of RAM and always restrain yourself from going anywhere near memory limits then there is always the potential for performance hits caused by unneccesary paging out of commonly used program and OS code because the memory manager has no choice because it no longer has the use of the page file.

Everything you said was correct right up the the words "because it no longer has". You have this backwards. A system with little memory and a paging file will ALWAYS be slower than a system with lots of memory and NO paging file. Tell me how a HD with a read/write speed of 80 Mb/sec will be quicker than system memory with a read/write speed of 1.6 Gb/sec???

Your understanding is flawed.

Quote What stuff will it now not have to be waiting for to move between the 'swap' file and memory without a page file that it would with?

Anything that is in the swap file that it requires. If it involves disk I/O, it WILL be slower. Basic physics. 80 Mb/sec is slower than 1.6 Gb/sec. Nothing on this planet will change that.

Quote The page file gives it more choice on how to manage the memory, not less.

Manage what???? What is there to manage? Space? That is what 8 Gb of memory is for.

Any physical memory location takes exactly the same time to access as any other memory location.

Quote You have a limited amount of memory, how can you possibly think that cutting off a source of potential storage (granted, a lot slower storage, but storage at least than allows the mm to juggle things around better) can possibly be better than leaving it use it as it sees fit?

You're making progress. How is 2.6 Gb of memory "limited" if you never use more than 1.5 Gb at any time? The same goes for most people, except graphic designers and architects for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

If I have a 2 L bucket and only ever fill it with 1 L of water, there is little sense pouring 500 ml of it into a small container just in case, is there? Yet this is exactly what Windows does. You can prove it by monitoirng HD activity with the swap file enabled, vs. with it disabled.

By disabling the swap file, you prevent Windows doing this. Instant increase in performance. Not only in terms of access to data in memory, but also the HD. Instead of the HD flicking between swap and loading data or a program, should the system be trying to do botyh at once, the HD can do its job of just being a store of user data and programs, thus speeding up the job further.

Every time that HD head has to move from one part of the disk to the other, it takes 800 ns. Compare the same operation to memory, that takes 1 ns. No competition.

Quote Solved by adding more memory? Not a feasible solution in most cases and ultimately a waste of time and money since you have a technology available to you, built into the operating system, a core feature of the code that is designed to prevent that very problem, so why not use it.

Memory is so cheap now there is no excuse NOT to do it. The swap file was designed back in the days when 16 Mb of RAM cost £100 (~£300 in todays currency). It is slower, and will NOT prevent you running out of memory!!! Just read all the FS forums on the dreaded "OOME". This is exacerbated by the use of dynamic swap files, due to the race condition I was talking about.

If the swap file exists, Windows will try to use it whether it needs to or not. Just use yur favorite file monitoring program (or write your own to intercept read/writes to the paging file) and watch.

Quote I do some graphical 3d rendering in my spare time - add a few models, scenery, large textures etc. etc. and click render.

I've seen those. They're excellent.

Quote The image I produced for my son for Christmas was rendered 1:1 at 3622 x 2834,  16" x 12" (larger actually since it was for a canvas print and I wrapped it around the borders). It took several hours to calculate the lighting and ray tracing etc.  Without a page file I'd have had no chance...

See - now we're getting specific. You know you use an app with huge memory requirements, yet you are happy to use the swap file, a storage device some 800 times slower than main memory? In your case, you are right you can't get away without using it.

3622 x 2834 x 32 = 328,471,936 Mb of RAM (at least). Still well inside 2.6 Gb. Let's allow 500 Mb of the development environment you're using, and another 500 Mb for temporary storage (remembering that ray tracing is primarily heavily computational rather than heavily storage orientated). Allowing 256 Mb for the rest of the OS, that is 1.6 Gb or so of memory usage total. Wow - we still have 1 Gb to go.

Quote who do you think contribute to the tech net articles...?

As I wrote, he is hiding behind his MVP badge. It is his site, he wrote it. MS aren't behind anything. I didn't see any links to any articles from his site - only his comments. Note also that storage manangement is not nearly the same as understanding the ins and outs of operating system design and memory management. Storage management likely means he studied how to manange an iSCSI array from Windows Server 2008 using a GUI, not how a microprocessor manages memory - that is far beyond the scope of an MVP.

Quote Since the Microsoft default is to set a system managed page file I think that means that MS think Windows works best with the page file enabled.

Oh dear... and I suppose the default MS security settings are the best, too? Don't ever work for HM Government!!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 1:25am

Quote and forcing Windows and its memory manager to make decisions on how to manage the memory in a restricted way. There is nothing difficult to understand here, in fact, it's common sense.

Did you ignore my description of the memory manager? Exactly how does it restrict its ability to manage anything? Please stop being vague and start getting technical.

You are just being obtuse now. It has the option of using the page file, you take that option away. You have restricted its ability to manage the memory. Simple. Don't try to mix that into anything else.

[lots of fluff again]

Quote Backed stuff, i.e. code, application stuff etc. that exists as files on your drive can simply be dropped when the mm decides it is advantageous to do so because, being backed, the mm can load it back from those files when required.

See, you made the same mistake again. IT DOES NOT DO THIS.
Yes it does. You are wrong.

Quote The page file itself is used by the mm to page out those memory pages that have changed but are not existent anywhere other than in RAM

Not true.
The page file is used for non backed store. Period. Fact. True.

Quote If it's changed and doesn't exists on disk then the mm can use the page file for temporary storage.

Not true.
True.

Quote Ultimately, unless you have large amounts of RAM and always restrain yourself from going anywhere near memory limits then there is always the potential for performance hits caused by unneccesary paging out of commonly used program and OS code because the memory manager has no choice because it no longer has the use of the page file.

Everything you said was correct right up the the words "because it no longer has". You have this backwards.
No I haven't, it is quite clear what it means, you are just being obtuse again. You have turned off the page file therefore the mm no longer has that function to use to page out unbacked store, therefore it has to remain in memory, therefore backed code has to be dropped instead and then reloaded from disk later causing latency. 

A system with little memory and a paging file will ALWAYS be slower than a system with lots of memory and NO paging file.
Define "little memory". Define "lots of memory". You have not got "lots of memory". 4GB is not lots of memory, certainly not enough to do away with a page file. 8GB is not lots. Do you have 8GB fitted?

Tell me how a HD with a read/write speed of 80 Mb/sec will be quicker than system memory with a read/write speed of 1.6 Gb/sec???
It's not. You've turned off your page file meaning that code pages have to be loaded back in again as opposed to being available in RAM because you've compromised the job of the memory manager. You tell me how your system is now quicker than a system that has those pages still in RAM because the unbacked store can be paged out to the page file?

Your understanding is flawed.
Your arrogance is astounding, beaten only by you amazing ability to miss the obvious (as evident in other threads beside this).

Quote The page file gives it more choice on how to manage the memory, not less.

Manage what???? What is there to manage? Space? That is what 8 Gb of memory is for.
To manage UNBACKED STORE that has to remain in memory because of your idiotic decision based on "I know better mentality" to turn the page file off...

Quote You have a limited amount of memory, how can you possibly think that cutting off a source of potential storage (granted, a lot slower storage, but storage at least than allows the mm to juggle things around better) can possibly be better than leaving it use it as it sees fit?

You're making progress. How is 2.6 Gb of memory "limited" if you never use more than 1.5 Gb at any time?

Because memory is being used for more than just the applications you are running. You are always complaining for a start on how much Vista uses (when it is meant to use as much as possible to precache stuff)

If I have a 2 L bucket and only ever fill it with 1 L of water, there is little sense pouring 500 ml of it into a small container just in case, is there? Yet this is exactly what Windows does. You can prove it by monitoirng HD activity with the swap file enabled, vs. with it disabled.

By disabling the swap file, you prevent Windows doing this. Instant increase in performance. Not only in terms of access to data in memory, but also the HD. Instead of the HD flicking between swap and loading data or a program, should the system be trying to do botyh at once, the HD can do its job of just being a store of user data and programs, thus speeding up the job further.

Mate, you are just spouting twaddle.

Quote Solved by adding more memory? Not a feasible solution in most cases and ultimately a waste of time and money since you have a technology available to you, built into the operating system, a core feature of the code that is designed to prevent that very problem, so why not use it.

Memory is so cheap now there is no excuse NOT to do it.
You have a built in free page file that the memory manager can use so that you don't have to buy that RAM however cheap it is so why not use it?

The swap file was designed back in the days when 16 Mb of RAM cost £100 (~£300 in todays currency).
And is still every bit as valuable today as it was then.

Quote 3622 x 2834 x 32 = 328,471,936 Mb of RAM (at least). Still well inside 2.6 Gb. Let's allow 500 Mb of the development environment you're using, and another 500 Mb for temporary storage (remembering that ray tracing is primarily heavily computational rather than heavily storage orientated). Allowing 256 Mb for the rest of the OS, that is 1.6 Gb or so of memory usage total. Wow - we still have 1 Gb to go.
Nicely simplified but not quite... Whatever, if I didn't have the page file for that unbacked store to go to then I would be limited in render sizes by what I could fit into RAM.

Quote Oh dear... and I suppose the default MS security settings are the best, too?
Vulcan knows best of course...Confused

Do us all a favour, post on that forum.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 8:59am

built into the operating system, a core feature of the code that is designed to prevent that very problem, so why not use it.

As a total nincompoop, with just a vague idea as to what you guys are on about, it would seem quite logical to me that MS new exactly what they were designing into their own operating systems. Would they be stupid enough to incorporate this as a 'core feature' if it was any kind of handicap? Is this another example of thinking we know better than the very designers of the OS? Is this hubris in the extreme?

Oh dear... and I suppose the default MS security settings are the best, too?

If it's the settings I think you mean, they work for me, never had an issue. I’ve also never disabled the swap file and no issues thanks. I think you have issues though don't you Pointy? 

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 4:47pm
Quote It has the option of using the page file, you take that option away. You have restricted its ability to manage the memory.

How? You keep repeating this but never say how?

Quote Simple. Don't try to mix that into anything else.

I'm not mixing anything into anything. You have consistently failed to say WHY it degrades performance, and HOW it restricts its ability to manage memory? Simply repeating this is not explaining. Please explain exactly how it makes the system slower or is otherwise bad? Please provide a detailed description of the exact memory management that is occuring, and how no swap file means the system is in a worse position assuming unlimited memory capacity..

Quote I think you have issues though don't you Pointy?

Apart from poor FSX performance (long since resolved) do you hear me complaining of any? Cursing how my computer keeps crashing or running out of memory? Hmm? No.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 8:03pm

Quote It has the option of using the page file, you take that option away. You have restricted its ability to manage the memory.

How? You keep repeating this but never say how?

Oh please, come on. It doesn't take any knowledge of this subject to use common sense on this and I've already explained the basic principle that this is about several times already.

You have a certain amount of RAM. You can fill that RAM with data that exists on the hard drive (i.e. program code etc.) and you can fill it with data that does not exist on the hard drive (i.e. code that has been created or changed by you or the sytem). Simple enough so far?

The memory manager will try its best to do its job and give memory space when something calls for it. If there is not enough spare RAM going free then to do this is can make space by dropping something else.

It can always drop the stuff that already exists on the drive (backed store) and load it back in later when required and, with the use of a page file, it can drop the stuff that doesn't exist on the drive and load that back from the page file when it's needed again. Still simple and straightforward no...?

Now, here's the hard part. If you take that page file away then, strange and mystical as it may seem, it no longer has the option of dropping that stuff that has changed in memory but doesn't exist on the drive. It doesn't exists other than in RAM and so it is forced to keep hold of it.
The result of not giving it the page file to play with is that it can't choose between backed and unbacked code to drop, it isn't able to make an informed decision on which to drop, it has no option other than to drop backed code. That code could be parts of the application you are using or parts of the operating system cached to enable better system performance which then has to be paged back in later (at the expense of some other bit of backed code being dropped) etc. etc. That large edited file sitting in the background hasn't been touched in minutes if not more but, because you are telling the memory manager that it can't push it out to the page file then it sits there hogging the RAM it occupies.

Surely, anyone with a basic concept of the english language and the smallest amount of common sense can see that you have resticted its ability to manage the memory? You've reduced the options available to it - what can that be other than a restriction in the way it works...? 

Quote  You have consistently failed to say WHY it degrades performance, and HOW it restricts its ability to manage memory? Simply repeating this is not explaining.

If you want to play the obtuse game and constantly quote hows and whys then there is really no point...

Quote how no swap file means the system is in a worse position assuming unlimited memory capacity..
But that is a rediculous argument since we obviously haven't got unlimited memory capacity. Lets assume the hard drive can transfer as fast as any RAM then shall we, no need for RAM at all then let alone a page file (we'd have a temp file instead...)

Quote I think you have issues though don't you Pointy?

Apart from poor FSX performance (long since resolved) do you hear me complaining of any? Cursing how my computer keeps crashing or running out of memory? Hmm? No.

Think possibly he was referring to something else...

I'm sure everyone else is bored to tears with this. Tell you what, if you want to believe you are right and I (and all those guys in the linked threads) are wrong then go ahead. Yep, you are right, I am wrong.

Oh, btw, is your 1066MHz RAM still running at rated speed even though you are only pushing 800MHz into it? The magic world of pointy eh...?
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 8:11pm

assuming unlimited memory capacity.

^ that's your mistake, how can you assume unlimited memory?

A simple analogy if you will. A page file is like a carrier bag, you can put things in and take things out, without it you need to hold everything in your hands, what happens when you need to carry something else? you drop everything all over the floor

However if you only need to carry 2 things then fine go without the carrier bag, but 9 times in 10 its easier to carry and use the bag than hold everything in your hands all the time (unless you're a mutant with 2000 arms).

All operating systems use swap files, and I think the OS developers know more about page files than I do, so I'll leave mine on if you don't mind However you continue arguing if it makes you feel better, I'm off to argue about the meaning of life
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 11:49pm
Quote It doesn't take any knowledge of this subject to use common sense

Uhhmmm.. I'm done with this conversation. Common sense? Hmm - common sense is knowing that if you walk in front of a truck doing 60 MPH, you will get killed. Common sense doesn't enter into it here.

You are just plain avoiding answering my question now.

Quote It can always drop the stuff that already exists on the drive (backed store)

Where do you get this rubbish from???????? WHAT IS YOUR TECHNICAL SOURCE FOR THIS BAD INFORMATION????

Quote that's your mistake

No mistake. Re-read the question.

Please don't get involved in this discussion, unless it is to add technical reason to blow my description and knowledge out the water.

I can only summize that the reason MM is avoiding answering my question and has failed to produce any technical articles countering my position, either in whole or in part, means I am indeed correct in my assertions.

Seeing as this thread is now playing like a broken record, I'm done.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 12:19am
OK - I've given you a chance to kill my arguments. Now I'm going to kill yours.

You said: "Windows can manage memory better than you can", and implied that "Windows is smart" in managing memory.

Read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179897

Quote This behavior is an indirect result of certain performance optimizations in the Intel Pentium Pro and Pentium II processors. These optimizations affect how the Windows 95 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) performs certain memory operations, such as determining which sections of memory are not in use and can be safely freed. As a result, the Virtual Machine Manager may free the wrong pages in memory, leading to the symptoms described earlier.

Think it is so smart now?

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/07/memory-management-understanding-pool-resources.aspx
- A nice article explaining Paged and Non-Paged memory.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/02/23/memory-management-101.aspx
- The basics of memory management.

Remember the idiot saying they NEVER RECOMMEND SETTING THE PAGE FILE SIZE TO 1.5x MEMORY SIZE?? HMMM??????? Read this and weep:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2009/04/14/managing-the-system-managed-page-file.aspx

Quote To begin with, how does the system determine the size of the page file?  The short answer is that it depends on what operating system we are looking at.  On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 the algorithm defines the page file using the following parameters when the System Managed setting is selected:  Initial Size: 1.5 x RAM, Maximum Size: 3 x RAM.

In my case, that would be 1.5 x 2.6 Gb or 3.9 Gb. 3 x RAM is impossible - the limit is 4 Gb. What does Windows ACTUALLY do though, despite this explanation? Hmm?? Min size is set to 1536 Mb and max sizew was set to 3072 Mb. Go figure. Confused  Still think MS and the system settings know what they are doing???

Like I kept saying, theory and reality are very different.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/pages/prf-memory-management-large-system-cache-issues.aspx
- How cache really works in Windows.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/10/10/the-memory-shell-game.aspx
- A good primer on how memory mangement works in geneal in Windows. Read these two snippets:

Quote For example, physical RAM can be almost one million times faster than a hard disk.

I was only out by a factor of 10000.

8 ms seek time for a HD = 8,000,000 nano seconds. Compared to 10 nano seconds for memory access.

Quote The memory manager optimizes physical RAM usage across the entire system.  Since physical RAM is a finite resource, it has to balance sharing this critical resource amongst all process, the kernel and file I/O.   It tries to keep disk I/O to a minimum, which results in a more responsive system.  It does this by moving pages around to meet the demand of the system.

By disabling the page file, you eliminate disk-based memory management COMPLETELY which helps the system (unless you try and run at the limits of the physical memory installed in the system, in which case you are just ASKING for problems, as I showed you when GIMP couldn't allocate memory).

Putting my money where my mouth is and dis-spelling myths at the same time,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 1:24am

OK - I've given you a chance to kill my arguments. Now I'm going to kill yours.
Yep, keep believing that...
You said: "Windows can manage memory better than you can", and implied that "Windows is smart" in managing memory.

Read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179897

Quote This behavior is an indirect result of certain performance optimizations in the Intel Pentium Pro and Pentium II processors. These optimizations affect how the Windows 95 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) performs certain memory operations, such as determining which sections of memory are not in use and can be safely freed. As a result, the Virtual Machine Manager may free the wrong pages in memory, leading to the symptoms described earlier.

Think it is so smart now?

Ummm... "When you run multiple programs (especially MS-DOS-based programs) on a Windows-based computer that has insufficient system memory (RAM) and contains an Intel Pentium Pro or Pentium II processor, information in memory may become unavailable or damaged"
This is an issue with P Pro and PII processors - hardly relevant, hardly current, nothing really to do with the issue of you shutting off the page file because you think you know better...

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/07/memory-management-understanding-pool-resources.aspx
- A nice article explaining Paged and Non-Paged memory.
Yep, nice article. Not relevant to you disabling the page file though.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/02/23/memory-management-101.aspx
- The basics of memory management.
Nice again, same as above.

Remember the idiot saying they NEVER RECOMMEND SETTING THE PAGE FILE SIZE TO 1.5x MEMORY SIZE?? HMMM??????? Read this and weep:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2009/04/14/managing-the-system-managed-page-file.aspx

Quote To begin with, how does the system determine the size of the page file?  The short answer is that it depends on what operating system we are looking at.  On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 the algorithm defines the page file using the following parameters when the System Managed setting is selected:  Initial Size: 1.5 x RAM, Maximum Size: 3 x RAM.

In my case, that would be 1.5 x 2.6 Gb or 3.9 Gb. 3 x RAM is impossible - the limit is 4 Gb. What does Windows ACTUALLY do though, despite this explanation? Hmm?? Min size is set to 1536 Mb and max sizew was set to 3072 Mb. Go figure. Confused  Still think MS and the system settings know what they are doing???
Yep, they do, you don't. And look up what the 'limits' are to the size of the page file (and the number of them).

Quote The memory manager optimizes physical RAM usage across the entire system.  Since physical RAM is a finite resource, it has to balance sharing this critical resource amongst all process, the kernel and file I/O.   It tries to keep disk I/O to a minimum, which results in a more responsive system.  It does this by moving pages around to meet the demand of the system.

By disabling the page file, you eliminate disk-based memory management COMPLETELY which helps the system (unless you try and run at the limits of the physical memory installed in the system, in which case you are just ASKING for problems, as I showed you when GIMP couldn't allocate memory).
Exactly. RAM is a finite resource, the mm has to balance sharing it, it tries to keep disk i/o to a minimum. Exactly. Except by disabling the page file you force it to retain unbacked pages at the expense of back pages.
By disabling the page file you disable paging of unbacked store. You have not eliminated disk based memory management. The mm will still drop backed pages and reload them as required.

Putting my money where my mouth is and dis-spelling myths at the same time,
Mmmm... How about really putting your money where your mouth is. Stop this back and fore and post your views on the forum links I posted. Go on, disple those myths they all have...
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 10:25am

Quote It doesn't take any knowledge of this subject to use common sense

Uhhmmm.. I'm done with this conversation. Common sense? Hmm - common sense is knowing that if you walk in front of a truck doing 60 MPH, you will get killed. Common sense doesn't enter into it here.

You are just plain avoiding answering my question now.

Quote It can always drop the stuff that already exists on the drive (backed store)

Where do you get this rubbish from???????? WHAT IS YOUR TECHNICAL SOURCE FOR THIS BAD INFORMATION????

Quote that's your mistake

No mistake. Re-read the question.

Please don't get involved in this discussion, unless it is to add technical reason to blow my description and knowledge out the water.

I can only summize that the reason MM is avoiding answering my question and has failed to produce any technical articles countering my position, either in whole or in part, means I am indeed correct in my assertions.

Seeing as this thread is now playing like a broken record, I'm done.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

"No Mistake" - assuming you have unlimited memory is a big mistake, memory is a finite resource.

Also if this thread is like a broken record why the hell do you keep spouting your crap? Sleepy

The link's you've posted are mostly irrelevant to the page file. Even the links you've posted disagree with what you're saying .

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 1:11pm
Quote The link's you've posted are mostly irrelevant to the page file

No they're not. To understand the page file you need to understand memory management in general.

Quote Even the links you've posted disagree with what you're saying

OK then - quote my error, then quote the correction from those links. You obviously spotted something - let's see it.

Quote assuming you have unlimited memory is a big mistake

No....... you obviously don't understand the point of me saying this, which is why you are saying it is a "mistake".

When you conduct experiments, you assume a set of conditions, no? Are you not familiar with scientific method? Assuming an unlimited memory space is one condition for the experiment.

Are you lot really this ignorant or are you just acting that way?

As I say, if you spotted an error - quote it. I even provided links for you!

Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 1:32pm
Are you not familiar with scientific method?

Big%20smile Sorry Pointy I had to chuckle at that one given some of your GW comments.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 2:13pm

Are you lot really this ignorant or are you just acting that way?

I always act that way, because I'm a twunk and argue about anything Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic