This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Physics. . . Devastated (N)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Physics. . . Devastated (N)
    Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:38pm
O dear ,

Physics was a car crash today. 
Top all that off with a bangin' head ache.

Does anybody know if you can resit A/S levels when you start A level ?

I've heard you can in January but I would like to confirm this.
-Chris
Generic forum signature
Minty View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:49pm
Cheer Up,

Have just asked the wife (who is head of Music and teaches GCSE, AS & A level at an independant girls school), you can re-sit in Jan.

Could be worse, could have crashed the family car instead of the Exam.

It'll be the stress causing the head, plenty of water and a good nights kip.

Minty
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:57pm
Minty. . . you can't comprehend how much better you have made my day.

I don't have the attitude of, "it'll be okay because I can just resit"
But we don't get it right all of the time. .

Stress always does it to me Cry I got through 2 bottles of water, but luckily didn't need the loo! Although a complete change of underwear might of been needed in a car accidentDead

Thanks mucho!
-Chris
Generic forum signature
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 9:45pm
Sucess = Personal Admin x Revision!!!!

Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 9:57pm
Good Luck with your resit! (I've got to resit all my year 10 Maths)

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Minty View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:23pm
G Luck all
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:32pm
I'm glad i'm not the only one who felt the Physics exam this afternoon was a car crash!! It was awful - probably the worst exam I have ever done!  I came out in a real bad mood, and then someone from my class (who's the sort of geeky one that sits at the back) had the audacity to say he 'enjoyed it'.  I could have swung for him I tell you!
Kind regards,
Tom
theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:21pm
Okay, here goes. Experience talks here.

Last year I studied maths, physics and biology. I passed biology with an E, the others I failed. Simple fact is I didn't put the effort into revising and organisation and so I was forced to resit the whole year (didn't do Biology at A2, it was a pain in the rear end).

This year I studied maths, physics and Applied Business. The things I changed this time was I organised all my notes to the point at which I could go through my file and find exactly what I wanted within a minute; I practiced, practiced and practiced again the exam questions and most of all I revised. In January my efforts paid off and I got C in physics, C in business and D in maths, which were all on my target grades.

Pretty much this is true:
Originally posted by ConcordeGuy ConcordeGuy wrote:

Sucess = Personal Admin x Revision!!!!

At the end of the day guys ask yourselves 3 months before any exam: Do I want this? Do I want to open that results envelope and see any fails?

Get the right balance of work and play. Ask yourself the questions above everytime you think revise or watch TV. You're doing this for you, no-one else.

Now I have a maths exam in the morning and I need some sleep, good night.
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
icudan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Suspended

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 1:37am
I never stopped on to so sixth form, i could not stand education much longer it was horrible for me. Unhappy I was going to college to carry on learning but i dropped out to go into full time work. Maths used to be my downfall as i only had a proper maths teached for 3 years, but for the 2 years i had supply tecahers, howver i did get a C thanks to my older brother. I am now training to be a Stock Control manager for Tesco at 17.

I don't know what you guys think of this but i would like to know your opinons on it!

PS: i have been drinkinng tomight hehe, friends birthday! haha.
wisemanp View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 2:35pm
That physics was horrible wasn't it... Hopefully the grade boundaries should be lowered.
Regards, Phil

You'll Never Walk Alone
theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 4:18pm
Any one else do OCR (MEI) Maths today? If so, what you think?
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 5:26pm
I did AQA Core 2 Maths this morning! Almost as bad as Physics!
Kind regards,
Tom
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:05am
Quote Does anybody know if you can resit A/S levels when you start A level ?

Yes, it should be no problem whatsoever to resit any units whenever you like. It's usually reccommended to do it in the next exam season. Don't forget though, your priority is your new modules, don't put all your effort into fixing old problems, you'll ending up doing poorly in more exams and giving yourself more grief. You will have to pay for any additional resits though btw.  

Is there any question you want any help with in finding the solution?

Quote I came out in a real bad mood, and then someone from my class (who's the sort of geeky one that sits at the back) had the audacity to say he 'enjoyed it'.  I could have swung for him I tell you!

That's very silly to be honest... What's wrong with enjoying a challenge?

Quote That physics was horrible wasn't it... Hopefully the grade boundaries should be lowered.

It's not so much grade boundaries, it's about scaling. The exam boards use statistical models (if you do stats modules in maths you'll know about this) to find how many people should be getting this many marks etc... If the paper was very hard, and they find less people than normal are getting 80% for example, then they will 'scale up' the marks. If it was an easy paper, and more people than usual get 80%, they will 'scale down' the marks. It's a very complicated, but clever, system.

So technically, the mark you see on results day is almost never the real, or raw, mark. It will have been scaled ('adjusted') depending on the difficulty of the paper. The so called grade boundaries ALWAYS remain the same for scaled marks. 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc...

If the paper was as hard as you say, you could end up getting considerably more marks than you really got on the paper. When I did my mechanics in January 2008, most agreed it was far harder than usual. Looking on the internet recently, I found the marks were scaled up so much, that to get 100%, you only had to get 83% on the actual paper.

Quote I did AQA Core 2 Maths this morning! Almost as bad as Physics!

C2 tends to be very 'memorisable'. Ie, it's not really proper maths. You can learn a load of stuff, then practice loads, and get a very good mark. However, past this point, when you do harder units like C3 and C4, you get to the proper maths, and you'll either love it or loathe it. Personally, I didn't like maths until we got to C3. Now I love it. Smile

As you go through the A-level, you'll find theres less and less to learn IMO. It starts to depend more and more on mathematical ability. On FP4 (further maths pure 4), there's very little to learn. But the maths is very deep indeed.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:07am
Chris, what do you mean by '(N)' btw in the thread title?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
icudan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Suspended

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:19am
If you type (N) into msn it will become a "thumbs down" icon.
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 10:50am
Well that was an epic fail...

I'm taking Physics as an A level this year but I might not be able to get in because I'm predicted an E for maths (got a C in year 10 exams??) and a C for science. Noo!
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:30pm
Yep, physics was absolutely horrible! I wanted to cry by the end of it... as did everyone in the group. I just don't get how A-level physics can be so much harder than GCSE - at GCSE I got 100UMS in all 3 exams but at A-level I'm finding it impossible to get above 50% in physics Cry

I have to agree with what you said about C2 maths there Odai - there's not a great deal of mathematical depth to most of the questions in it unfortunately.

I know that in January's physics exams (OCR) that 80UMS was 38/60, so hopefully my results won't be too bad.
I'm glad that at least I found C1 and C2 maths easy though, because I need A*AA for the university I want, and there's no chance I'd get anywhere near an A in physics... although that would mean the economics exam next week has to go incredulously well...
Luke Roach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic