This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 things that really annoying me...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 things that really annoying me...
    Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:37pm
1º Every time that I must start a flight, and must shut down the FS and start up again, well this as been discussed, and think that is "impossible" to make this work in the another way..., but this is not my main complaint.

2º Maybe is my main complaint, I always make flights in paved runways, (with very few exceptions), and the AH tell me that I land on urban or grass terrain, in this case was urban because was in the city!

HOW? how I ask, but the answers are to vague, blamming the scenery etc.., and I ask, why not blaming the AH?

AH must be capable to deal with this, if not, as a good sense action, are not to punish the user about this.

Today I have a example, I landed twice in 2 different runways with grease landings, center line all fine, and AH got from me about 52% of aircraft wealth. Something are wrong here no?

If AH can't handle with this, please, don't punish the pilots/us with this penalty, because if as many say, the AH are not guilty, US are not guilty too, right?

Sugestion, disable this type of punishment till AH can read / fix correctly the terrain reading, or more simple, ban this kind of punishment from AH because have no sense have this working in this way.

This is a not fair judgment that AH make from us that work hard to make good landings and not so, and I think that I'm not the only one with this problem. Something must be done.

Any idea?

cheers,
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 3:55am

Quote 2º Maybe is my main complaint, I always make flights in paved runways, (with very few exceptions), and the AH tell me that I land on urban or grass terrain, in this case was urban because was in the city!

HOW? how I ask, but the answers are to vague, blamming the scenery etc.., and I ask, why not blaming the AH?

Herege, I guess the best answer to that question at the moment is because we're not hearing it from anyone else. 

Let's hear from the rest of you guys.  Are any of you getting surface damage (not hard landing damage) when you grease it and straddle the center line?

Quote AH must be capable to deal with this, if not, as a good sense action, are not to punish the user about this.

AH reads the surface that FSUIPC reports at the moment you touch down.  If that surface type does not match one of the runway surfaces at the airport where you're landing, surface damage results.  If you're seeing urban or grass on the flight report (at an airport that does not have a grass runway) that's what FSUIPC is reporting.  AH thinks you missed the runway. AH can't get any further inside FS than to read what FSUIPC reports.  It's how it works - it's all it can do.

I suspect that this is being caused by funky scenery - I just can't come up with any other plausible explanation for it.  Again, all AH can do is to read the surface type reported by FSUIPC - it can't see what you see out the windshield. 

Quote Today I have a example, I landed twice in 2 different runways with greese landings, center line all fine, and AH got from me about 52% of aircraft wealth. Something are wrong here no?

Yes, something is wrong.  I hate to bombard you with questions but it's necessary if you're going to help us understand the root of the problem...

- What version of the Flight Sim are you using?

- What operating system are you using?  Is it 32 or 64 bit?

- What version of AH are you updated to?

- What version of FSUIPC do you have installed?

- Have you re-run the scenery import after installing the last AH Service Pack? (I don't know if that's necessary but it can't hurt.)

- Have you installed, edited or deleted any scenery since last running the AH scenery import, including changing the order of scenery in the FS Scenery utility?

- What scenery/terrain mesh add-ons do you have installed in the part of the world where this is occurring?

- How frequently is this happening (X out of Y landings)?

- Have there been any landings on the same airports/runways where surface damage did not result?

- Has this been happening since you began with AH or is it a new problem?

- Can you go back to your cashbook or flight log and make a list of the airports and aircraft where it has occurred?

- Using the list of occurrences, can you copy out the Flight Log Records to an Excel file and delete all rows all except the arrivals where this occurred? 

...the same kind of information from anyone else who is having the same issue would be appreciated as well.  I know this is a lot of fooling around but I dont' know any other way to go at it. 

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Quote If AH can't handle with this, please, don't punish the pilots/us with this penalty, because if as many say, the AH are not guilty, US are not guity too, right?

Sugestion, disable this type of punishment till AH can read / fix correctly the terrain reading, or more simple, ban this kind of punishment from AH because have no sense have this working in this way.

This is a not fair judgment that AH make from us that work hard to make good landings and not so, and I think that I'm not the only one with this problem. Something must be done.

Herege, we feel your pain, but let's take a deep breath and get to the bottom of this.  Surface damage for off-runway landings is an important feature of the app and appears to be working correctly for almost everyone.  Removing that feature would require an update and if installed would deprive the other users of that feature even if it's not malfunctioning in their installation. That's pretty strong medicine for this.

If the surface damage feature is removed, how will we figure out what's causing it?  Bear with us and help us figure out what the problem is.  This is a case where this very positive, valuable and involved user community can bear a hand resolving an issue.

John

EDIT:
Herege, I've just remembered that some of the testers initially had problems with this and found that they were landing very short, actually touching down just short of the runway threshold.  I don't know if this may be what's happening to you or not, but thought it worth mentioning.

There's no grey area.  If it's not runway, it's whatever the surrounding landclass is and damage will result, even if you're only a foot short of the threshold.

Some runways have displaced thresholds.  You must land beyond the threshold, not on the part with arrows or chevrons pointing to the threshold.  You risk surface damage if you land short of a displaced threshold.

JDA
John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:22am
Thank you John, I hope that people say something about their landings at urban/Forest or grass damage with grease landings too, waiting...

To Answer your questions john,

- What version of the Flight Sim are you using? FS9

- What operating system are you using?  Is it 32 or 64 bit? 32

- What version of AH are you updated to? The last one. 1.27

- What version of FSUIPC do you have installed? 3.85, because 3.90 don't work, dont ask me why..., and 3.85 work with all my add-ons...

- Have you re-run the scenery import after installing the last AH Service Pack? (I don't know if that's necessary but it can't hurt.) Yes, always.

- Have you installed, edited or deleted any scenery since last running the AH scenery import, including changing the order of scenery in the FS Scenery utility? No

- What scenery/terrain mesh add-ons do you have installed in the part of the world where this is occurring? well tons of add-ons,since FSglobal, etc...,

- How frequently is this happening (X out of Y landings)? last 5 times I was in Hawaii with BLUESKYSCENERY HR, but happen to me in other areas, don't remember where now.

- Have there been any landings on the same airports/runways where surface damage did not result? Yes, very close on center of runway.

- Has this been happening since you began with AH or is it a new problem? Since AH. But not always, because not always I land in the same airports...

- Can you go back to your cashbook or flight log and make a list of the airports and aircraft where it has occurred? The last ones was, PHNL, PHNG, PHJR, ... OuchMy "lucky" was that one was a "cheap plane", cessna carenado 210M. Other was DC9 or others that I don't have now.

- Using the list of occurrences, can you copy out the Flight Log Records to an Excel file and delete all rows all except the arrivals where this occurred?  I hope that this you want to know.

PHNG -74,58784 Greaser 221,4628143 121,265625 TRUE 3,1935997 -0,158227 40 FALSE 6,37960005 -27,8378 18215,225 Urban 40

PHJR -212,2293 Greaser 225,3660278 96,609375 TRUE 2,5483482 0,4171929 52 FALSE 17,6963806 30,037046 1282,8085 Urban 52

PHNG -199,1572 Greaser 41,96922302 100,945313 TRUE 2,8563554 -1,057888 54 FALSE 23,5302353 -27,93485 2142,3884 Urban 54

PHNG -119,9557 Greaser 41,3944397 81,7734375 TRUE 2,1978278 -0,874162 34 FALSE -13,857523 25,299919 2969,1602 Urban 34

PHNG -186,8541 Greaser 41,59856415 82,4375 TRUE 1,4302377 -0,512581 35 FALSE 9,07375145 29,903919 2099,7375 Urban 35

RJFY -250,6767 Greaser 174,9338684 310,484375 TRUE -0,406391 0,3789716 44 FALSE 5,33801794 12,290197 531,49609 Forest 44

some examples..., the early ones was on my old problematic companie because of flights precessing, that all of you know before..., and I cant open.
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:35am
Quote John:

Herege, we feel your pain, but let's take a deep breath and get to the bottom of this.  Surface damage for off-runway landings is an important feature of the app and appears to be working correctly for almost everyone.  Removing that feature would require an update and if installed would deprive the other users of that feature even if it's not malfunctioning in their installation. That's pretty strong medicine for this.

________

-John is a important feature when work well for all, and not for few of us. Removing the feature deprevi others user from this feature, but hurt others with the same feature. Removing this feature is easy inside of the code, BUT IF the dev. wont remove this feature, please pay some attention what percentage are reduced when this kind of things happen, because this hurt to much, for some malfunction that many of us or I can be penalized. and I know that I land correctly on runway, and not in the garden or urban sidewalk..., maybe fine tuning the radius os this thing? I don't know reallly, but one thing I really know, this problem must have some solution.

thanks John
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 6:20am

Herege,

Since you have FS9 here's something to try...  You could check this out at several of the runways where you have had problems.

If you open FS9 and AFCAD at the same time and location, you'll get a magenta cross on the AFCAD screen showing where your AC is in FS.  It might be interesting if you'd do that and explore the limits of the runway(s) while seeing what the AFCAD image is showing you.  That may give some insight into whether the scenery you see in FS is correctly aligned with the AFCAD. 

I had a payware airport in Great Britain once that got out of line somehow.  All the traffic was taxiing on the grass next to the taxiways and landing off center on the runway and the AC were parking in the termnal building with just the rudders sticking out of the roof.  Something like that may be happening in your FS installation and you may be able to see it with AFCAD.  If you place yourself in the center of the runway but the cross is offset in AFCAD, that's an important clue to what's going on here.

John

John Allard
Goldenboy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldenboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 7:27am
Hi Herege,

It's curious all of your examples are in Hawaii - perhaps it's something specific to the scenery package you are using.

The only experience I have had with surface-based damage was landing at a photo-realistic airport that was "painted" as a texture on the surface of the ground. (Similar to something like google-earth). There wasn't an actual runway present at the airport even though it looked like I was landing on one. This was confirmed by going into AFCAD2 as John suggests - there was simply nothing at the airport except for the reference point.

My greaser landing caused 8% damage as AH regarded me as landing on grass (bumpy), luckily, although if the underlying texture underneath the photo-airport was "urban" I'm sure I would have copped a lot more damage.

John's suggestion of using AFCAD on those airports would be my first starting point to figuring out the mystery too. Put FS9 into windowed mode (Alt-Enter) and resize it so it fits next to AFCAD. Then use slew (Y) to move your aircraft around different key points such as runway thresholds and centrelines, etc. You should see your aircraft moving around the AFCAD map in real-time for comparison purposes.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers,
Andy

McRonald View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McRonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Let's hear from the rest of you guys.  Are any of you getting surface damage (not hard landing damage) when you grease it and straddle the center line?

I had a grass runway landing this morning (looked more like hard packed clay in the S.France) and I got a 5% damage from a 'Greaser' landing there - is that the sort of thing you mean?

I was within the main runway area, on the centre line and hit the runway after the -| marker at one end and stopped before the |- at the other.
Connor McRonald - Around the World with Air Hauler

Blog of my AH RTW adventure: http://rabinpurple.spaces.live.com/
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 2:45pm

Connor,

Yes, that sounds like the same thing.  What airport and which runway?  Do you have add-on scenery for the area?

John
John Allard
McRonald View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McRonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Yes, that sounds like the same thing.  What airport and which runway?  Do you have add-on scenery for the area?
The runway was at Courbessac, Nimes [LFME] - to the best of my knowledge the only add-on I have that could affect anything is the "FSX France 38 m terrains Version 3" mesh (Taiburet).

I don't have scenery for that airport (it's just a clay strip - quite bare looking)
Connor McRonald - Around the World with Air Hauler

Blog of my AH RTW adventure: http://rabinpurple.spaces.live.com/
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:43pm
AH gets the expected runway type from the scenery files, and the actual surface from FS when you touch down - it is NOT AHs fault if the two don't match - it's the fault of the person who wrote the scenery and who's runway surface types given don't match the scenery.

It seems the only way to get slopes runways is via this method - if you're landing on sloped runways you might see if more often than not.

All I can do is disable it, but for the majority of users it's not a problem per se.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 4:58pm
Thanks all for help, I m now on work, and not in AH PC to see that. Late at night I see what I can do with your help.
When I see big problem, I try to cure with big solutions, well let's see what happen late night;)

Slopey, for what I can see, the majority of user don't manifest, because, don't appear at forum with some regularity, or think thats is normal, and don't prompt the aswers as quicly like we like, well, its normal..., but in this special case, I think 2 things, and I keep them in my mind, just my opinion, disable it, and them AH have no more problems with future complaints about this, or reduce a big percentage whem AH detect things like this, because actually are exaggerated I think.
To be sincerely, I think that the first choice is a global medicine to cure this problem and avoid the future problem with the same cause.

What I can preview, is, I must remove some scenery's that I like to have?...
Goldenboy View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldenboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Herege Herege wrote:

To be sincerely, I think that the first choice is a global medicine to cure this problem and avoid the future problem with the same cause.

Although I empathise with Herege's situation i'd be against removing this feature. It's a good feature that works well in the majority of circumstances, such as when a late gust blows you off, or short of the sunway and the poor little Cessna's (or mighty big Boeing's!) undercarriage goes rumbling across the grass or crashing through the threshold lighting...  Big%20smile

It's not a difficult game to make a lot of money and these sort of things keep you on your toes and your skills sharp.  Clap
Hendrix View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 2:57am
Well, Id have to agree with Goldenboy.  I am a bit of a AFCAD nut if I may call myselft that :) If I download a scenery freeware, the first 2 things I do is see if the scenery is properly aligned in the sim and then go to AFCAD to see if these great guys overlooked this part , or if I can make it better.  I remember buying Barajas Madrid 2008 for FS9 and found that the AFCAD was a total mess.  I tweaked it to the best FS9 can do in terms of runways in use and aswell the apron gate lines.  I guess what im trying to say is that if you dont find anything on the Hawaii sceneryset that looks fishy, dont hesitate to PM me and Ill have a look on the Airports. 

Cheers!!

//Hendrix
CargoScan CEO

Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 4:21am
Well guys, this study case are put me crazy, but I solved the problem in this area (Hawaii) I think!

When I come to home, before I make some more test's, with AFCAD and more, the first thing that I try, was removing all BLUESKYSCENERY HR photoreal scenery(very cool indeed in visual appeal on main island), then make some tests fligts, the same fligts that I make with him, and the problem never happen again, till now!Smile
Well, I m talking in Hawaii, now, at this moment I have Hawaii so ugly like a hell (default one), and I would like to put some nice scenery and landclass there, freeware, any ideas about a good one that anyone have tested?.

Let's hope that other scenerys that I have, I don't need to remove them. Payware/freeware. because of this problem.

@Goldenboy, whem I say removing this feature, was as a last thing that I was thinking, because I always give to my speech, 2 options, remove this feature, OR reduce a great percentage effectively, because in my opinion I think actually are exaggerated. the part of this, I agree to you.Big%20smile
Another thing, this not only happen to me in Hawaii, I got a forest damage in japan too at RJFY, and more, but I can't remember more than this ones for now.

@Hendrix, I must say thank you to you, to consider itself to help me in the AFCADS. For now the problem are fixed, let's see what happening after thisSmile

@Slopey, if not removing this feature, perhaps it reconsiders to reduce the percentage of damages in these situations, actually are to high, and any of us can have some scenery that unconsciously we are to be wronged for scenery dev. errors, and not our errors. Because I had that to remove a scenary that liked in favor of the good functioning on AH.

cheers all,
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 5:52am
Herege,

We're all relieved you've come to terms with what was causing the problem. If, as you say, you've had similar issues in other parts of the world you may still have some scenery that is not correct.  Keep in mind the idea of looking at it simultaneously in FS and AFCAD to see if they are correctly aligned, or if, worst case, it's just textures that look like airports but really aren't.

Either case will cause surface damage from what appears to be a good landing.  Also bear in mind that landing short of the threshold can cause that too. 

As for the amounts charged, I think you'd be shocked at what aircraft maintenance costs in the real world.  Get off the runway while landing with a Cessna and clip a couple of runway lights or hit a ditch or a pothole and the repair bill will look like the national debt.  It's an operating cost like any other and you just have to eat it. 

At this point in my career mode company, repairs have accounted for 35% of my total expenses.  Part of that was being blown off to the side of the runway just before touchdown - my fault but it's expensive none the less.  I assume you are carrying insurance?

John
John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 3:27am
Thank you John for your words.
Smile

Lets laugh a little right,

How much that this aircrafts have damaged, hummm about 54% because he landed grease on highway?.

or 52% of damage on this one?Tongue

OOoPPPsss!!
Yes, this one was a catastrophic disaster! maybe the drive-in is to narrow for him.

;)
acurnow View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acurnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 7:58pm
Herege I have something you might like to try. I use the Bluesky scenery myself, and I landed at KONT Ontario last night without a problem. You might like to try this.
When you are coming in to land, dial 117.00 on your Nav 2 radio. This is normally done at night so the photo over the airport takes a lower priority to the afcad, thus showing taxi lights etc at night. It works very well in the day as well. The runway and taxiways will show up over the photo. My guess as to why my landing was successful was due to doing this. It means you can have all your nice photo scenery, and yet still make sure you land on the runway. Worked for me anyway. :)
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 8:47pm
Thank you  very much acurnow, I will give it a try, after reinstall again the Bluesky photoreal scenery, but my problem was in Hawaii and not in Ontario with Bluesky scenery, well, I try when I must delivery some cargo on Hawaii. I appreciated for remembering and share this information here, thanks again ;)
acurnow View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acurnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 2:24am
The tuning of 117.00 on nav2 should work for any of the blue sky scenery, so hopefully hawaii is fine as well. I don't have a base there unfortunately to test it, but after reading your post prior to landing in Ontario I was a bit nervous I must admit. But, as I say, I made it without problem. All the time I fly with the bluesky scenery areas (even prior to AH) I have dialed 117.00 prior to landing so I can better find my way around the airport. I hope it works for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic